“I love this hostel!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Pig Downtown

Save Saved
You added Flying Pig Downtown to your Saves list
Flying Pig Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Nieuwendijk 100 | Old Centre: New Side, 1012 MR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #27 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Tampa, Florida
“I love this hostel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2005

This was only the second hostel I stayed in (the first one being in London right before this-- and not being too pleased with its conditions). And I was blown away by this place. Its in a great, central area.. and its extremely convienent to Centraal Station. The reception area is also the lounge area (which is set below the large windows with alot of pillows and low tables), "internet lounge", bar, and pool table area. So its obviously a hub of activity.
My room was perfect. Nice comfy bed (though I was on the top bunk) and the room was "en suite" with a large shower area. Plenty of hot water. The personal lockers were incredibly large. If your backpack is small enough you could basically put the whole thing in there. The radiators kept the room nice and warm.
There were a few couches in the hallways. And though I believe all rooms were "en suite", there were additional bathrooms and showers in the hallways. And there were many vending machines offering an assortment of refreshments in the back of the building. And there was a kitchen and "happy room" in the basement. (Unfortunately, I never made it down there for the free breakfast.) There was this great booth area under the stairs with a sun mural, where I enjoyed my lunch. A large kitchen area and dining area, that also had a tv and couches (w/ dvds). This "happy room" is where you were allowed to smoke, no matter the time. As the reception area was a 'no smoking zone' until 5pm. There was also no smoking in the rooms. The staff was incredibly friendly and laidback. The one time I had a computer problem, they immediately fixed it. And I never once had to wait to be let in to the hostel. I had my card in hand and I was buzzed right in. And I even befriended one of the bartenders, who escorted me (a single female) through the red light district as I felt unsafe going alone at night. I thoroughly enjoyed hanging out in the bar area, drinking the tasty, inexpensive beer (and I normally don't even enjoy drinking beer) and talking w/ other travelers. I mean.. this hostel even has umbrellas sitting by the front door that you can borrow in case it rains!!

My only complaint(s) about this place would be that I reserved a 4 bed room and I was put in what is technically an 8 bed room (2 sets of twin bunk beds plus 1 set of double bunkbeds). BUT-- there were only 4 of us in the room.. no one slept in the double bunkbeds. Now, this isn't really a complaint but I found it odd-- I'm a single female and I was put in a room with 3 guys. But the guys were really cool and I enjoyed rooming with them (only one snored!).

And when/if I go back to Amsterdam, there is no doubt that I'm booking a room here again. There's a reason they've been voted No #1.

• Stayed March 2005

564 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Thai first
NYC, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2004

If you can manage to reserve a room prior to arrival, kudos, you are ahead of the rest. I suggest always book a small dorm, vs. a large one. Reason being is that you can still meet people, and still try to sleep when others are present. Location is #1 with this hostel, if this is your first trip to Amsterdam, the pig is the place. Don't forget about the palace location, closer to Van Gogh, etc. Pig Downtown also rules because of the evening scene where you can walk in on any night (you must be staying at the hostel), and expect a DJ, cheap beer, people, who are just like you, easy to talk with etc. On top of that, the staff will treat you with the same amount of respect that you exhibit. The two guys tha started this joint truly deserve their most recent accolade of --#1 hostel in the world-- Congrats, well deserved.

• Stayed September 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2004

Just spent the August bank holiday in Amsterdam and stayed at the cosy Flying Pig DT.

The environment was generally clean but was sometimes a bit untidy first thing in the morning (usually left by the late night revellers arriiving early in the morning). Although it was generally cleaned up by 10:30am for the next batch of hosteliers and backpackers.

The mixed dorms were no problems and I had an opportunity to meet new people from Ireland/ Canada/ Bahrain and Germany. Also coming late at night or early in the morning was no problem as the rooms have low or dim light so it's perfect coming in without disturbing your fellow Dorm Mates.

The Flying Pig DT included Free Internet (20 min max.). Chill Out Room, Breakfast, Bar, DJ and 24 Hour Secured Entrance.

And around £20 per night in a Dorm Room a perfect Budget place right in the heart of Amsterdam!

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2004

We arrived and our two bedroom (dorm room) wasn't clean. there was hair in the drain...... The shower was black from all the mold, it was gross. We had problems getting clean sheets and towels that were not hard as a rock. So I slept with my clothes on at all times. The mattresses had all kinds of stains on them.

There was always a party going on in the main lobby of the hostel. the staff was not very happy to be working there. The staff kept to themselves and were not very friendly at all. It seemed like when we would ask them a question, they told us to go look it up on the internet, instead of answering the questions.

Don't even try to get service with a smile at the bar, the bartenders expect you to tip them but then you do and still can't get service.

We were on the top level so noise wasn't a problem, it was pretty quiet. But the elevator was alway broken so we had to take 3 flights of steps everyday. (which was a pain).

You also had to show your card before they would let you enter, which was a good thing, but sometimes you would stand there forever before someone would let you in. there would be a line of several people waiting to get to their room.

This place is great if you are there to party and don't care where you sleep. If you plan on passing out every night, then I would stay there. It was pretty cheap too. the other people in the hostel (who we met that were traveling were very nice). The plus was they have free internet use, but only three computers for everyone so sometimes there was a small line to use them.

Don't try to use the phone there it was always broken and no one could figure out how to use it. The staff def. was not willing to help out in that area.

Been to Flying Pig Downtown? Share your experiences!