“Do NOT waste your time ANYWHERE ELSE!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Pig Downtown

Save Saved
You added Flying Pig Downtown to your Saves list
Flying Pig Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Nieuwendijk 100 | Old Centre: New Side, 1012 MR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #29 of 176 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Sliema, Malta
“Do NOT waste your time ANYWHERE ELSE!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

The Flying Pig downtown was literally the place to be during our four-night stay (all at the Pig) in Amsterdam this past week. The atmosphere is top notch, no other hostel I have ever stayed in can reach the level of "chill" in the air at the Pig downtown. The smoking room will always have a place in my heart, can't beat the free breakfast, and the bar service was great at any hour (even for a tea/juice!) The rooms were clean and warm and the locks were available at the front desk for lockers. The Flying Pig Downtown has officially set the bar in my book for "what a real hostel should look/feel/operate like" anywhere in the world. I wish there was a Flying Pig in every country.

Room Tip: I chose a top-bunk to cut down on room-noise (people coming in and out at all hours) but be sure to...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We had a great time in Amsterdam. we were there for 2 nights, one of the nights we wanted a bar that was chilled, good music, good atmosphere and cheap. We were going to find somewhere until we realised that the Hostel bar had it all covered!

Great place to stay, central, clean, comfy (free bedding), quiet where needed and great atmosphere. Only negatives, although minimal, were too few showers and the rooms were too hot!

Room Tip: Although the 16-32 mixed dorms sound scary, you actually get a lot of space and privacy!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012 via mobile

I stayed in the flying pig for my birthday wkend in Amsterdam. It was cheap and the location was perfect only a few min walk from central station an middle of Amsterdam. Me an my 3 mates got a 4 bedded dorm with onsuite an was just like a hotel it was clean had beds an was comfortable exactly what we was looking for. The bar downstairs is great cheap beer an deals an the smoking room is a great idea because even if you don't like weed you hardly smell it..end of the day you pay for what you get an for the price you pay here you get much better than you deserve..lads an ladies this perfect place for a weekend in Amsterdam!!

• Stayed January 2012
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I've stayed in this hostel 4 times now - over the past 7 years and I'm looking forward to staying here again in March.It is quite frankly the best hostel in the world. They just get everything right. The atmosphere is wonderful, the bar and chilled out smoking room fun, wild yet relaxing. The staff are always up for it. Oh man - i wish i lived in the flying pig!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012 via mobile

Great staff, good location, and even better times! The pig is recommended by me if your looking for fun and great people. If you don't like pot, loud music and crazy fun people from all over the world, try somewere else

• Stayed December 2011
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed at the flying pig with 2 friends in November and having not stayed in a hostel before, i was pleasantly surprised. The check-in process is a bit arduous, with people wishing to extend their staying occupying the same space as those who are checking in and out. We had to wait about 15 minutes to be called, but the staff were friendly.
We booked a 4 person room so were prepared to share with one stranger, but we weren't expecting that stranger to have his girlfriend in his bunk until about 3am. Slightly awkward as there was a language barrier too, so we just stayed out of their way in the day time. The room itself was clean and the bathroom appeared to have been recently renovated, which put my mind at ease. However, it certainly wasn't cleaned on a daily basis, like you would expect in a hotel and the bed sheet were only changed when there was a new guest booked in to that bed.
I had a top bunk and it was comfortable, aside from the plastic sheet over the mattress. I shudder to think what may have happened to warrant the use of a plastic sheet, but i got used to the noise of it slipping about after the first night. There are also lockers under the beds and as the lock i brought with me didn't fit, I bought one from the bar for about 3 euros.
Our room backed on to the smoking area outside the bar and I think people are exaggerating the noise level to be honest. I'm a very light sleeper, but the noise didn't bother me past midnight. The music isn't that loud and you only get the odd person laughing or talking loudly. Also, yes this is a smoking hostel and that is clearly advertised wherever you look. If you missed that you must be blind. However, the smoking is confined to a back room which is shut off from the bar and the only whiff of it you get is if they leave the door open for a few minutes. My friends and I had a great few evenings in the smoking room, which is cosy and full of friendly people. The bar is busy but not particularly rowdy and feels a bit like a cosy student's union. The drinks are reasonably priced and you can bring food back to eat in the bar, which we did on 2 nights.
There's plenty of cheap eats in the immediate area and a nice cafe directly opposite which does a great breakfast. I never felt threatened during my time in Amsterdam (even in the red light district at night) and it's a very beautiful city. Even if you don't want to do the things that most people go to Amsterdam for, there's plenty of attractions for families. Language was never a problem as everyone speaks English and getting around on foot was super easy once you got used to the thousands of bikes. The hostel is about a 7 minute walk from Centraal station too and it only costs a few euros to and from the airport.
I probably won't stay at the flying pig again, as my husband and I are more likely to fork out for a hotel. The crowd was a bit more backpacker than we're used to. It was a nice experience though and i'm glad I stayed. I'll definitely be returning to Amsterdam in the future!

Room Tip: If you're travelling in a group of 4 or less, go for the private rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Miratejo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We went to this hostel due to the high punctuation but it wasn’t definitely a good option.We went to visit the city and during the night we just wanted to sleep,someth ing impossible there,since you have music at the bar so loud, that it seemed that you were sleeping there. You can also hear the people talking at the bar all night long.So if you to have a good night is the best,if you to visit avoid it! Each floor only had one toilet and one shower,and there were a lot of rooms!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Flying Pig Downtown? Share your experiences!