“Perfect for Students” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Flying Pig Downtown

Save Saved
You added Flying Pig Downtown to your Saves list
Flying Pig Downtown
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Nieuwendijk 100 | Old Centre: New Side, 1012 MR Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #28 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
Atlanta, Georgia
“Perfect for Students”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

Frederick Michael Lansky - I read many online reviews for different hostels before deciding to stay at the Flying Pig Hostel. After lots of research online I could tell this place had something special going for it.

My experience with the hostel starting when I called them up. Although their website said all their rooms are full for internet bookings, it also said that more then half the rooms are booked in person or via telephone. When I called them a very helpful woman picked up the phone and said they still have a 4 person room available for my 3 friends and I.

For the 31.90 euro a night a person we got: a private room with a private full-bathroom for the 4 of us, free wifi and internet terminals, free breakfast, and free personal lockers.

I should also mention that this hotel is in the dead center of Amsterdam. It is within a 3 minute walk to Central Station, most of the famous Coffee Shops, lots of interesting shops, and the Red Light District. If you are unfamiliar with Amsterdam like we were, being located off Centraal makes your life MUCH, MUCH EASIER. The airport shuttle drops you off at Central literally right at the hotel. Also being near Central makes getting back to the hostel after a night of reverely or sightseeing very easy. Nearly every inbound tram and subway train ends at Central (Centraal in Dutch) which is 2 blocks from The Flying Pig Downtown. This makes getting lost when returning to the hostel nearly impossible.

Instead of having a curfew to prevent strangers from coming in (like many hostels in Amsterdam), the entrance is blocked off with a turnstile that unlocks with your room keycard, giving the place a generally safe feel.

The rooms are nothing special, but we each got a bunkbed with clean sheets, a sanitary bathroom and enough room to put clothes/luggage away.

The lobby is a 24/7 party place, and the reception area doubles as a bar at night. However, the noise from the lobby was not loud enough where it would disturb anyone sleeping. At least I didn't hear anything and we were one floor up (room 103). The lobby is a great place to meet strangers, and the people staying there were generally freindly and eager to meet new people. The people who work at the front desk were always very busy and trying to do 10 things at once, but are always willing to help if you gave them a few minutes of patience. However, using the free internet terminals downstairs was generally the best bet to find where we needed to go, and really came in handy for directions and information.

Most of the people staying at the time we went (11/16-11/23/07) were generally American, but this may be biased because it was Thanksgiving Break and also the High-Times Cannabis Cup Festival was happening at the time. Nearly everybody I met there from the people who run the hostel to the guests were, like us, between 18-28 years old.

The bathrooms were clean and the water pressure in the shower was great.
Since it was my first time staying in Amsterdam I don't have any hostels to compare it to, but I still don't see how you can beat 32 euros a night for private room & bathroom, free-breakfast and no-strings-attached free wifi and internet that 100 euro a night hotels do not offer.

My ONLY complaint was the fact that the heater in the room did not always run, even turned up all the way, and the room sometimes got chilly (though still tolerable) some nights.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Heating in the room
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Thai first
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

People are friendly, you are close to everything.
Staff are wonderful, you can leave your bag in the luggage room after you have checked out til 6pm. Rooms are cleaned everyday, beds are comfy. Bathrooms are fine. Free internet access, boardgames , cheap drinks and friendly faces.

• Liked — Bar
  • Disliked — Toilets
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2007

If you are looking for the epitome of a hostel this is it. I have to say, this was not a place for me, it was not bad, but just not for me, I didn't hate it.

Property has a great location, friendly staff. The lounge is always crowded, they have a bar! Breakfast was great, plenty to choose from; breads, pastries, cereals, refreshments. Plenty of Amsterdam charm.

Rooms were not the cleanest, but descent. I stayed in a room with two bunk beds (four people) for three nights. Linens were okay, beds were quite comfy. Bathroom and shower in room. The best part was that there were boxes with locks (bring your own lock) for each person under the beds.

I did not spend any time at the hostel, which is a must, again not my scene. Buy your Van Gogh Museum tickets at the reception desk and definitely buy their map for 1EUR.

• Liked — Good location, friendly atmoshpere.
  • Disliked — It was too much like a college dorm.
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fredericton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

The world famous Flying Pig is a must for anyone looking for a hostel experience in a great city. The place is not quite university dorm room wild but not far from it, plus a lot more marijuana smoke. Bar downstairs, Free internet, pool tables, there's lot's to do here...just don't try to sleep - The beds and pillows are terrrible, the skwigi full of gunk in the shower is pretty gross, but if you're willing to stay at to the Flying Pig, you really shouldn't care!

Stayed October 2007
Yellowknife, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

Great hostel-very impressed.
First hostel experience and everything I expected..yep people come in during the night but they are quiet for the most part.
Staff are FANTASTIC-I read otherwide someone and its not the case.We stayed for 7 nights and I received sooo much helpful nformation. It zqs so nice to meet so many people from around the world. Our room didnt have a shower or toilet which was a mild annoyance for a 12 person room but nothing that I wouldnt return for. VERY central to so much shopping,etc
Would definately recommend/return.

• Liked — great staff/location
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2007

You stay at the Flying Pig downtown to experience life. It was my first trip overseas. My friends were arriving the next day. So the first day/night I spent alone.

It was definitely a blast. I kid you not: the first person I met there was a sword and fire eating busker from Switzerland. It was insane. We had a few beers, then he ran out of cash. So I followed him to the downtown square. He drew a crown of like 80 people, and put on his show. It was pretty cool.

I could go on with probably about 100 stories about this hostel. I was there for 8 nights. You come here for fun, and that's it. People are either there doing something or going out doing something. Everyone is very friendly - easy to meet people. The place is rocking 24h. The room I was in held like 20+ people.

It's dirty as all heck though (washrooms, etc). And a different person in my room had something stolen from them every night, so you should be careful. But it is well worth it. A great life experience. Even my friends who showed up later, and are a bit prudish by nature - but also stayed there for a week or so - wouldn't give back the time spent there for the world. Best hostel in Amsterdam.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2007

i stayed at the flying pig downtown , i must admit that there are postives things such as the breakfast, and the overall vibe of the place (its very laid back) but however......
i stayed there with my friend and we are both teenage girls and were a bit startled when we found that we were sharing a room with two american men in their late twenties, also i have heard reviews saying that there is a sewage problem in the rooms and there is, our room (306) smelt so rotton, it was horrible, the beds arnt that comfy and if you are on the top bunk you have to climb up (no ladder). overall cleanlieness isnt that great either.
great if you just want somewhere to crash and if you and all your friends fill one room, overwise not so great a place :(

Stayed October 2006

Been to Flying Pig Downtown? Share your experiences!