“Great entertainment” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 303 attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Boom Chicago is an Amsterdam comedy institution. One of the biggest show in the capital, the creative group is a "unique part of the Dutch comedy scene" (de Volkskrant) that "invented a totally new style of theater; call it digital comedy." (NRC Handelsblad) Although the show is in English, the majority of the audience is Dutch and local. The productions combine sketch comedy, improvisation, music, video and the internet in a way that is unique in the world and laugh out loud funny. Boom Chicago performs Wednesday through Saturday with a late show on Saturday as well. Most people come early to get a good seat and dinner packages are available with three nearby restaurants before the show. “Five stars -- Kill to get a ticket” – The Scotsman “Five stars -- Rapier like Wit” – The Guardian “Smart, fast, loud, irreverent… and surprisingly good food” – Wall Street Journal “Another victory for Boom Chicago…. very, very clever. Miss them at your peril” – The Independent “One of the best sketch and improv shows I have ever seen. Boom Chicago changed my life.“ – Time Out Chicago “A perfect combination of scripted scenes and improvisation… We are once again grateful that [Boom Chicago] decided to make Amsterdam their home.” – Het Parool
Nuremberg, Germany
“Great entertainment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

My wife and I went here on a saturday night for whats up with those beards and had a great time. The comedians were very clever and get the audience involved in innovative ways. This show is a must if you're in amsterdam.

Visited April 2014

Truro, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

What a fantastic little gem! A must when visiting Amsterdam especially as a couple, so funny. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome, the crew seemed really interested in getting too know us. On the front row there are leather sofas so we decided to sit there. Now I'm not saying they picked on the front row, but when your husband is really bantering with the cast, you have to expect it! He was dragged up on stage, which too partake in one of their sketches, it was hilarious!! Best night out of our whole stay!

Groningen, The Netherlands
20 attraction reviews
“Fun night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Boom Chicago is an English language theatre company, specialising in improvisational comedy. I'v been several times and the experience has varied form the very funny, to me mildly amusing, I actually prefer the shows which are a little more scripted, as opposed to the more unstructured improvisation.

Their look at the "inburgering cursus" (which I saw quite a few years ago) remains one of the funniest reflections on Dutch society I have seen. CSI Amsterdam I also recall with a smile. However, it is true to say that you need to know something about life in the Netherlands to fully appreciate some of the jokes.

Visited May 2013
N.Ireland
“A fun(ny) night out ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

A funky little place. Get there early & enjoy a drink and the old-school board & video games like foozeball, battleships & Mariokarts before the show. Like all Improv shows the better the audience participation, the better the comedy & these guys did a good job of keeping us laughing throughout.

The TA directions need to be changed (sent us to the old place when we tried to check it out earlier in the day)

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
6 attraction reviews
“Great show, shame about 'some' of the audiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Went and saw a shot of improve, really enjoyed the show but unfortunately it was marred by one audience member who seemed to be so off her face I'm not convinced she actually new where she was, whooping and clapping at random moments and at one point she looked like she was going to get up and star dancing! Now don't get me wrong I'm all up for having fun, but it nor only put off the comedians but distracted the audience. Go to a comedy night to laugh, not to be laughed at.

MayorOfAmsterdam, Owner at Boom Chicago, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Boy oh boy, that woman was drunk. She was the drunkest person I can remember at our show. We kicked her out, perhaps not soon enough.

Actually, it's amazing how little trouble we have with disruptive audience members. Luckily we usually attract a good crowd.