“Fun night out” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 303 Attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Boom Chicago is an Amsterdam comedy institution. One of the biggest show in the capital, the creative group is a "unique part of the Dutch comedy scene" (de Volkskrant) that "invented a totally new style of theater; call it digital comedy." (NRC Handelsblad) Although the show is in English, the majority of the audience is Dutch and local. The productions combine sketch comedy, improvisation, music, video and the internet in a way that is unique in the world and laugh out loud funny. Boom Chicago performs Wednesday through Saturday with a late show on Saturday as well. Most people come early to get a good seat and dinner packages are available with three nearby restaurants before the show. “Five stars -- Kill to get a ticket” – The Scotsman “Five stars -- Rapier like Wit” – The Guardian “Smart, fast, loud, irreverent… and surprisingly good food” – Wall Street Journal “Another victory for Boom Chicago…. very, very clever. Miss them at your peril” – The Independent “One of the best sketch and improv shows I have ever seen. Boom Chicago changed my life.“ – Time Out Chicago “A perfect combination of scripted scenes and improvisation… We are once again grateful that [Boom Chicago] decided to make Amsterdam their home.” – Het Parool
Groningen, The Netherlands
20 attraction reviews
“Fun night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Boom Chicago is an English language theatre company, specialising in improvisational comedy. I'v been several times and the experience has varied form the very funny, to me mildly amusing, I actually prefer the shows which are a little more scripted, as opposed to the more unstructured improvisation.

Their look at the "inburgering cursus" (which I saw quite a few years ago) remains one of the funniest reflections on Dutch society I have seen. CSI Amsterdam I also recall with a smile. However, it is true to say that you need to know something about life in the Netherlands to fully appreciate some of the jokes.

Visited May 2013

N.Ireland
“A fun(ny) night out ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

A funky little place. Get there early & enjoy a drink and the old-school board & video games like foozeball, battleships & Mariokarts before the show. Like all Improv shows the better the audience participation, the better the comedy & these guys did a good job of keeping us laughing throughout.

The TA directions need to be changed (sent us to the old place when we tried to check it out earlier in the day)

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
6 attraction reviews
“Great show, shame about 'some' of the audiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Went and saw a shot of improve, really enjoyed the show but unfortunately it was marred by one audience member who seemed to be so off her face I'm not convinced she actually new where she was, whooping and clapping at random moments and at one point she looked like she was going to get up and star dancing! Now don't get me wrong I'm all up for having fun, but it nor only put off the comedians but distracted the audience. Go to a comedy night to laugh, not to be laughed at.

MayorOfAmsterdam, Owner at Boom Chicago, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Boy oh boy, that woman was drunk. She was the drunkest person I can remember at our show. We kicked her out, perhaps not soon enough.

Actually, it's amazing how little trouble we have with disruptive audience members. Luckily we usually attract a good crowd.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Tired roll out of easy stereotypes.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

You might think that after 20 years of living in Amsterdam Boom Chigago might be able to come up with more dynamic material. Easy stereotypes, thin impersonations and judgemental wisecracks. A lot has happened to the world in the last 20 years and we have finally become tired of crowing Americans. The sneering and ridicule really isn't funny any more. Time to go back home guys.

Visited February 2014
MayorOfAmsterdam, Owner at Boom Chicago, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
I am sorry you did not like our show. As the director of the show, however, I have some issues with your review.

We seem to have hurt your feelings. You say our 'ridicule' isn't funny any more? As comedians, we are supposed to be 'judgemental.' Of course we have an opinion and a take on things. It's called The Seven Deadly Dutch Sins. That it sells out after 9 months (with no advertising) is due to excellent word of mouth.

You say 'we' are tired of 'crowing Americans?' We as in the Dutch people you are speaking for? And how many cocky Americans are there in Amsterdam commenting on Dutch society?

You refer to America's crimes of the past 20 years. Boom Chicago would like to officially apologize for George Bush, SUVs and hipster beards.

Go back home? This is home. I have lived in Amsterdam for twenty years, perhaps longer than you. You speak of our sneering and making easy stereotypes, yet your review shows those unpleasant traits.

There is an expression in Dutch about people who have long toes, i.e. those that are easily stepped on. That stereotype did not make it into the show, but maybe it applies here.

For those who do not want an (English language) show about Dutch society and Dutch people (and many visitors do), we have other shows that feature more improvisation comedy. The Seven Deadly Dutch Sins plays only on Fridays.
24 attraction reviews
“Great evening's entertainment! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I stumbled across this when looking for things to do in amsterdam while on a 5 day trip with my boyfriend. We went to the "baby I like it raw show" on a Wednesday night. It was packed (which can only bw a good sign! ) My boyfriend was a bit pessimistic about the prospect of an evening of improvised comedy but I am glad to say he was proven wrong! A night of well done, good, clean comedy. Highly recommended!

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for the review. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your night at Boom Chicago. I'm glad we were able to win over your boyfriend!

Best,
Andrew

P.S. I love the Grachtenhuis too!