“'I like it Raw' Lots of laughs, excellent improv” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 297 attractions in Amsterdam
Type: Performances
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Boom Chicago is an Amsterdam comedy institution. One of the biggest show in the capital, the creative group is a "unique part of the Dutch comedy scene" (de Volkskrant) that "invented a totally new style of theater; call it digital comedy." (NRC Handelsblad) Although the show is in English, the majority of the audience is Dutch and local. The productions combine sketch comedy, improvisation, music, video and the internet in a way that is unique in the world and laugh out loud funny. Boom Chicago performs Wednesday through Saturday with a late show on Saturday as well. Most people come early to get a good seat and dinner packages are available with three nearby restaurants before the show. “Five stars -- Kill to get a ticket” – The Scotsman “Five stars -- Rapier like Wit” – The Guardian “Smart, fast, loud, irreverent… and surprisingly good food” – Wall Street Journal “Another victory for Boom Chicago…. very, very clever. Miss them at your peril” – The Independent “One of the best sketch and improv shows I have ever seen. Boom Chicago changed my life.“ – Time Out Chicago “A perfect combination of scripted scenes and improvisation… We are once again grateful that [Boom Chicago] decided to make Amsterdam their home.” – Het Parool
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“'I like it Raw' Lots of laughs, excellent improv”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We recently went to watch 'I like it Raw' at Boom Chicago and was really impressed. The show is a mixture of rehearsed comedy and improv and both had us (and the rest of the audience) chuckling away. The sketches work and the involvement with the audience has everyone wanting more. Worth a visit and great value at €18 per person.

Visited March 2013
MayorOfAmsterdam, Owner at Boom Chicago, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Thanks so much! Glad you loved it. We like doing it...

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
23 attraction reviews
“"I like it Raw" - Fun and entertaining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We seen the latest Boom Chicago event, "I like it raw". It was very entertaining, and we all had a lot of laughs.

The improv was good. The only disappointment was the final sketch, "charades". There is no way that somebody can guess the words that the people were acting out.

Worth a visit!

Tip: You can get 50% off the tickets if you book the day of, at the Amsterdam Library.

Galway
“Don't Go!You have been warned!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Horrific is the only word we could repeat whilst looking at eachother baffled after watching this. My friend booked tickets for this 'show' on the phone at €20.00 each as she heard it was great. Firstly, we went in & ordered drinks. As we were approximately 5mins late, everyone else was obviously in at the show & we were the ONLY ones at the bar yet the 3 bar people took 10 MINUTES to serve us 2beers & a vodka & coke!It was insane, they were chatting, being ignorant & just looking at eachother & then asked my friend twice what she was having...very weird as everywhere else in this city was so friendly. Anyhow, on with the show. We sat in the back & there were five people on the stage doing various improv acts. They would ask the audience for a word or a random text from their phones & 'act' it out...
It felt like watching students trying to learn how to act, it was cringing & these actors were just plain annoying, I was embarassed to be watching them it was sooo bad! Now, we are three girls who love to laugh but this just wasn't funny OR entertaining in any way! If this was free I think it would be too expensive because I would be wasting my time going to see them. I honestly do not know where any humour was in this 'comedy' show, it was a disaster from start to finish. There were some americans there who were laughing but we assumed they must be family members. At least a bottle of heineken was just €2.50 so a few buckets of them got us though the show!

Visited March 2013
And 5 stars for the tourist trap Sex Museum? I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on what a good time in Amsterdam is.

I do apologize for the bad service at the bar. That should not happen.

Best,
Andrew
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
13 attraction reviews
“Laughs and food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

A nice example of an improv-theater. Funny, witty, entertaining.

I personally do not like the prank call part, but that is me. For the rest, a nice evening.

Visited April 2012
Worcester, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant and so funny !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

so good i might just go to Amsterdam just to see them again. sporadic off the cuff humour - i dont know how they think so quickly!!

Visited January 2013