“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Artis Zoo

Artis Zoo
Plantage Kerklaan 38-40, 1018 CZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)
020/523-3400
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$48*
and up
Amsterdam Canal Hop-On Hop-Off Pass including...
Ranked #18 of 246 Attractions in Amsterdam
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Artis Zoo, just to the east of central Amsterdam, provides a good deal for children.
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

If you are an animal lover then you must come here!!! Best zoo I have ever been too! Such great value for money. was €20 for an adult. We spend 3hrs inside and loved every minute. There is a room which the monkeys are free to roam around with you, birds are flying over your head and lizards crawl below your feet! Was amazing and the highlight to my weekend break.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reading, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“One of the best zoos I've been to!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

This is a MASSIVE zoo, make sure you have plenty of time to get round it, we had to miss out the Planetarium unfortunately.

There are so many different animals, mostly in good sized enclosures. I was a bit upset by the lion enclosure, really quite small for 4 lions!

We had great fun watching the elephants get a pedicure and were even treated to a little trumpet by the baby!!

We traveled to the zoo via Canal on a 'Lovers' canal tour. It was a beautiful trip and much cheaper to pay for the cruise and get the zoo ticket included than to travel there yourself and buy an entry ticket.

Visited January 2014
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Highlight of Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Used our I-Card, so good value. Yes it is old, and some areas the animals have smaller than other zoo's, but they do seem to be modernising and in phases. However this is a great place so many differant animals and a great setting, well worth a visit.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“One of the worst I've been to”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I feel sorry for those who call it the best they have been to.
While the variety of animals isn't bad, it's difficult to comprehend why some enclosures are the size that they are. The lions and other big cats have it especially bad. The aquarium was nice. Long story short, I wouldn't visit again even if it was free (20€ - no comment. For 20€ I expected a much, much nicer conditions for animals.) I do hope they start using the money wisely. Another huge issue I had - the primates and some other animals obviously need more vegetation, instead they have bamboo growing everywhere except inside their enclosures and cages. Like I said I expected a lot more from this part of Europe.

Hamburg, Germany
20 attraction reviews
“historic place but...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Because of the fact that it is one of the oldest places where animals are shown to human beings it hurts me to see under which ancient conditions the animals have to survive there...I would appreciate if the city moves it to another area out of the city so that the animals will have enough space and respective conditions to be kept out of their wildlife...

Visited October 2013