“well laid out” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Botanical Garden (Hortus Botanicus)

Botanical Garden (Hortus Botanicus)
Plantage Middenlaan 2a, Amsterdam 1018 , The Netherlands (Binnenstad)
31 20 625 9021
Houston, Texas
89 attraction reviews
“well laid out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

My son and I spent an enjoyable winter afternoon wandering around the [huge!] greenhouses of various different types of habitats ... plants and trees I've never seen and even those I am more familiar with in my 'semi-tropical' home. We spent hours enjoying ourselves in the gardens and greenhouses and then had a very nice tea in the on-site cafe which to our surprise had a live group performing!

Visited February 2013

Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
“Not good in winter”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

Agree with previous reviewer that too much is missed when visiting in winter. We were disappointed. Probably lovely in summer.

Visited December 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
“Not A Good Idea In Winter!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

My first mistake was going in the Winter, so most of the outdoor plants were dead! I have tried to take this into account when giving my rating. There was a small butterfly house which was nice, but not the best one I've been to; and a tropical house with some tropical trees and plants. The best bit was the larger tropical house divided into three rooms, tropical, desert, and rainforest. Fascinating with quite a bit of information about the environments and types of plants. It is quite small though. Still, it was a pleasant stroll around, peaceful and relaxing.
There is a small café selling hot drinks (very welcome on that day!) and a small selection of food. The staff were friendly.
Also look out for the cute little manx cat with no tail. Will allow you to stroke him but can turn on you as some poor girl found out!
It was about 8 Euros to get in, probably worth it in spring and summer, when I imagine the gardens to be beautiful, but I wouldn't recommend it in Winter. Maybe if they offered a discount in the Winter months.

Visited December 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
3 attraction reviews
“Botanical winter gardens”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Wintertime beauty
Glaze of icicles bend leaves
Entombment of frost.

Had to use 100 characters, therefore, Haiku. Haiku when in doubt.

Visited January 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“wet day passtime”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

we recently stayed in the Tropen hotel unfortunately the day we decided to take a stroll the heavens opened so we went to the botanical gardens which was within walking distance of our hotel what a worth while experience, would recommend this gem for a very relaxing time out . Loved the butterfly house and full of interesting information on plants .

Visited March 2013