“Much better Than Expected” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Much better Than Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My Partner and I arrived about 8:30pm in the evening and was told to wait for 5 mintues for a table which was fine.
We got seated in a wee tubby whole at the front window away from all the other guests which was nice and we could watch people walk by.
We had the Meat platter and sichuan spicy pork, both were really nice and couldn't fault anything about the meal or our surroundings.
This was much better than what I've had in Edinburgh. Unless someone can point me the right direction of a good place here.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
“nice service, acceptable food but............”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

On a very busy street of Amsterdam, the restaurant seems to attract many people, locals and tourists. After my nice experience in a Yunnan restaurant in Paris, I was looking for real spicy Chinese food. This was my pick after some research.

The restaurant was very busy on Saturday night but unlike most of Chinese restaurants (if only you agree with me), the waitress with smile asked us to wait for 10 minutes, already giving us good impression.

Yellow river chicken with 4 chili signs wasn't as spicy as I wished. Maybe they moderate the taste according to locals. The chicken must have been bite size but it was popcorn size. At least sichuan pepper and dried chili was there but the portion was one quarter of the amount in my other chicken dish in Paris.

Spicy beef salad was OK, but the broth was definately made of MSG.

OK, they offer something different from the chinese take-away but it was far from what I can appreciate.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Amsterdam
“The real taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Heard so many good things about this restaurant and tested it. What a treat! Simply the best chinese food in Amsterdam ever and anywhere else in a very long time. Dinner for two for less than 40 euro. This now is my favourite Chinese place in town. Sorry Nam Kee (which is nice too).

Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent the 1st time HORRIBLE the 2nd time!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Went there a few days ago, was excellent. The service was great and they were almost too nice to us. I went here on my own a few days later on a busy Saturday evening, prepared to wait. They told a family before me that they had no tables for two people... The family said they would wait. I asked for a table for 1, they said they had no tables for 1 person, I said well a table for two but I am just one in the party. I said I would wait. After 5 minutes another woman came through obviously speaking about me as she was gesturing to me but speaking in Chinese. The first woman I spoke to then told me they don't have tables for only 1 person. I walked out, feeling embarrassed, let down, and ashamed at myself for being alone.what a turn around from the first night where I thought the staff were so kind!

Why this treatment?

I said on three occasions I would wait. I also would have ordered 3 dishes, which would constitute the same amount of money a table for two would have spent, roughly speaking.

I have never been treated so badly. There is a nicer why of saying "no". You as a restaurant are not doing me a favor by giving me a table. I as the customer am doing you a favor by coming to your restaurant and spending my money at your establishment.

So I went down the street to the same place I ate my first evening in amsterdam 10 years ago, New King on Zeedijk. Though they had a 40 minute wait, they had no problem giving a solitary person a table.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney
“Best asian restaurant in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Very authentic, reasonable price and good service. The food is also fresh and tasty. Out of our week in Amsterdam trying other Asian eateries, this is probably the best one.

• Visited September 2013