“First class hotel, in every way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conservatorium Hotel

Save Saved
You added Conservatorium Hotel to your Saves list
Conservatorium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Baerlestraat 27, 1071 AN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #20 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Seattle, Washington
“First class hotel, in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Our family of four stayed at the Conservatorium Hotel and it was one of our best hotel experiences. The hotel itself is beautiful, the lobby is just spectacular, and it's in a great location near museums and Vondelpark; the hotel had bikes on hand which we used to travel about Amsterdam for two days. The rooms are modern, light, and comfortable - we stayed in a suite, and even the pullout couch that our daughters slept on was comfortable. And the service was the real star - when you imagine first class service, this is it. We felt like all our needs were catered to, but the service never felt intrusive. We are planning to fly into Amsterdam for all future European trips, just so that we can stay at this hotel - that's how much we loved it! It's a bit of a splurge for a family to stay in the suite, but all four of us really did fit comfortably in the suite, and it was worth it. The only downside was that we were so comfortable that we slept in and almost missed our train to Paris! If you are going to Amsterdam, this hotel is a real treat.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear guest,

We are heartened by your wonderful praise of our hotel, and would like to thank you for letting us know how much you have enjoyed your stay. It is a true delight to read your review and a great boost to the team to receive such wonderful recognition. I am thrilled to know that you would like to return, and it would be my pleasure to welcome you and your family back for another amazing experience.

Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
sgtpepa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We chose this hotel because of its proximity to the major museums. The room was very nice as were the people we came in contact with.
We had a few glitches that made the experience less than perfect. Upon arrival after an overnight flight, it was past the time that they serve breakfast. We ate in the Brasserie and ended up with lunch choices that is not appealing at 6am East Coast time. As our room rate did not include breakfast, we went to the Brasserie the next day. My wife ordered yogurt with berries and a coffee. I did not feel like eating and ordered juice and coffee. Since the hotel does not have an ala carte breakfast menu, she was charged for a buffet and I got charged for the juice and coffee. Total charge was about $50. We went to a bakery and coffee shop on other days and enjoyed it much better.
Our last disaster was for a private tour of the Rijksmuseum. Upon completion, the guide wanted to be paid in cash and I did not have enough Euros. He called the hotel and then he told me they said to go to an ATM. He agreed to take my dollars. Had the hotel told me I needed cash, I would have exchanged more the previous day.
Upon complaining about the issue at the museum, the manager and head of guest services could not be any more apologetic. Various amenities were offered and appreciated though not required.
While we had issues, I would not hesitate recommending the hotel the the luxury traveller.

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your impressions with us in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the less than perfect experience. We are very pleased that although your visit with us did not meet all your expectations, your overall impression of the hotel has been good. We thank you kindly for recommending our hotel to other travelers, and hope to welcome back in the future for a truly distinctive stay.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Gorgeous hotel in perfect spot for museums and great restaurants!
Staff were very helpful and responded almost immediately!
Rooms were modern yet decor wax warm...large spotless bathroom with L'Occitane toiletries..

Staff were friendly and efficient...we would definitely return!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to read your review following your stay at the Conservatorium hotel. Your comments regarding the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff are truly appreciated and will be shared with the team. We are happy to know that you would like to return and look forward to serving you again.

prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

I have been coming to Amsterdam on business every other months for the past three years and the last two years I have stayed at the Conservatorium hotel. When I first stayed I was amazed by the design, location and the feel of the place but the service was perhaps not at its best yet at that time. After two years I can barely find any fault. The rooms are super clean, comfortable and beautifully designed. Each has a somewhat different set up so even repeated visits don't feel boring. Check in is now super fast (used to take a little longer in the past) and they serve you a nice welcome drink. Breakfast is amazing - I have food allergy and i still have so many options to choose from. Everything is beautifully presented and fresh. Room service also amazing. From my work's perspective I especially value the super girl at the events department: Barbara Bybau, she would deserve a medal for the way she handles our groups frequent (last minute) changes professionally and with a smile. Her can do attitude really makes my life of a meeting organiser much much easier. I can also warmly recommend the hotel for business meetings and private dining events. The food and service are without fault which is saying something with the very demanding team I look after.
The best "piece" of the hotel in my opinion is the spa. Sadly I hardly ever have a chance to visit due to my long working hours but when I do even 20 minutes visit to the swimming pool and jacuzzi (of if luck smiles on me and the steam room is still on at the late hour when I usually get to visit the Akasha spa) make a huge difference in calming down my hysterical attacks from trying to make the team happy and having our Amsterdam meetings running smoothly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We most sincerely thank you for your confidence over the past years and for your continued support of our hotel. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and are very pleased to receive your favourable comments. I will be certain to forward your comments to our staff, Barbara in particular, and I am sure that they will be delighted to know that they exceeded your expectations. It gives us all great pleasure to welcome you back to us time and again, and we are looking forward to your next visit.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Excellent mix between old building and modern design coupled with a very friendly staff at all levels made our stay unique. We will certainly come back.

If you can choose Room Balcony Suite 501 one of the best hotel rooms we ever had. Big windows, calm, italian design furniture, superb bathroom, you feel at home !

The brasserie menu has tasty dishes and serving excellent food all day long whenever you come back from visiting the museums, shopping areas and parks in footwalk distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: Some rooms you cannot open windows. if you want fresh air ask for a room with windows to open.
Dear guest,

We greatly appreciate your kind praise of our hotel. We are very happy to know that you will be returning in the future and are looking forward to welcome you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I was travelling on business around Europe and when in the cafe royal hotel in London I was recommended this hotel for Amsterdam.
I usually stay in the American hotel. This is without doubt one of the nicest hotels in all of Europe.
Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know how much you have enjoyed your stays in both the Café Royal and Conservatorium Hotel. We are extremely pleased with your warm recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

The Conservatorium Hotel is in an excellent location directly across the street from the Van Gogh and Stedelijk Museums and a very short walk to the Rijksmuseum (& the "iamsterdam sign") and Vondelpark. We loved the architecture of the hotel and the rooms were very clean. We traveled with our 2 children so we chose 2 interconnecting loft rooms (a suite would've been slightly less expensive). Each room had 2 bathrooms and the bedrooms were upstairs, so we felt as though we were in a mini house. The pool and sauna are very nice, but keep in mind, they have "children's hours" so plan accordingly. The management staff was excellent as when we had a small problem with some construction sound, they gave us free breakfast which was outstanding. The cappaccinos were delicious!
Overall we were very happy with this hotel even though it was a bit of splurge. One disappointing aspect was the concierges, I would have to rate them as below average and not at all as helpful or friendly as the rest of the staff (nor as good as any of the other hotels we have stayed at in the last 5 years). There aren't any real views from this hotel. So, if you are looking for a canal view, this is not the hotel choice for you. Tip: go for a short (10 minute) walk to Mac Bike and rent bikes to ride in Vondelpark. We got the kind where you buckle the kids on the back and they LOVED it!!! As did we:)

Room Tip: No canal views, but perhaps you can ask for a view of the park behind Van Gogh.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We are very pleased to receive your wonderful five-star review, and thank you very much for your kind comments about our accommodation. I am happy that the room layout and location in the Museum district were to your liking, and that you have been able to enjoy our Akasha Spa.

I sincerely apologize that the concierge service did not live up to your overall experience of the hotel. Fortunately we rarely receive negative comments about our concierges and I hope this has been a one off experience. We will be sure to monitor the services more closely in the coming period. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back for an even better stay in the future.

Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Conservatorium Hotel? Share your experiences!