“Excellent hotel in great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Conservatorium Hotel

Save Saved
You added Conservatorium Hotel to your Saves list
Conservatorium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Baerlestraat 27, 1071 AN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #18 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent hotel in great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I recently accompanied my wife on a business trip to Amsterdam. The stylish Conservatorium - a former music school - is an excellent, if pricy, modern hotel in a great part of the city, just a block away from the Rijksmuseum and within walking distance to many other must see sites. The only major issue we had - shared with many other hotel guests - is the slow service in the Brasserie restaurant, particularly at breakfast. Otherwise, the entire hotel staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The room we were in was spacious, functional, and very comfortable. I have been a frequent visitor to Amsterdam since the 1960s and I can't imagine a better place to stay in the city - if it is in your price range.

Room Tip: Some rooms are on two levels. If you have trouble walking up and down stairs make sure you don'...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear guest,

We are very pleased to receive your wonderful review. Thank you so much for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay. We apologize for the inconvenience in the Brasserie, and are undertaking additional training exercises to improve our service delivery in this area. Your warm recommendation is highly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon.

548 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

A top quality hotel, don't book another hotel when you plan to go to Amsterdam.
Service, rooms, ambiance are all extremely nice and well thought of.
The duplex rooms are the best ones.
Best hotel and optimal location in Amsterdam!

Room Tip: Go for a duplex room they are so nice.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We are proud and honored to know that we have exceeded your expectations. Thank you very much indeed for recommending us so highly. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Amsterdam.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We were in Europe recently from Los Angeles, traveling with two children and had the privilege of staying at the Conservatorium. We were greeted by Etan and Pieters who were amazing hosta and helped us with reservations and private tour guides for all the museums which are within a couple blocks of the hotel. The food was amazing, the service impeccable and the accommodations first class. Will definitely go back and visit again. Really a fantastic stop on our trip.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for composing this wonderful review. We are pleased to read your kind words and I will be certain to forward your comments to our staff, Etan and Pierre in particular. I am sure they will be delighted to know that they exceeded your expectations. It would give us all great pleasure to welcome you back on a future visit to Amsterdam.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have stayed in Amsterdam many many times, and I didn't think it held any more surprises for me, but I was wrong. The Conservatorium is simply put, the best hotel in Amsterdam. Located in Museumplein and therefore some distance from the busy narrow streets of Centraal, the hotel building itself matches the magnificence of the Rijksmuseum. Inside, you won't be disappointed, a stunning and clever renovation, ultra cool decor and the kind of staff that make all the difference. From the moment I stepped through the door (which was of course opened for me by a very polite Doorman,) I was treated to fabulous service.
The superior duplex room was spotlessly clean and extremely comfortable, featuring more clever design features and all the mod cons one would expect from a top hotel (electric curtains anyone?). I had the best sleep I've had in a long time.
The food, which I sampled via room service (being too tired from a long day out to eat out), was delicious and the room service menu is quite incredible. Iberico ham platter to start, posh fish and chips, and mandarin and cream sorbets for dessert.
And to the spa...all I want to say that this was the best spa experience I have ever had. It's fabulous. My initial visit for a sauna was at 10.30 pm. I booked in for a massage the following day...again, probably the best ever. I can't speak highly enough of this place. I almost don't want to mention it.
So just to say again, fabulous place, gorgeous decor; my new favourite hotel, but really it was the ultra polite and professional staff that I think made this the luxury experience it was.
Oh and it's not cheap...but you absolutely get value for money.

Room Tip: There is a Nespresso machine in the room. If you order tea (to the room), they bring you a kettle an...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for letting us know how much you have enjoyed your stay at the Conservatorium Hotel. I will be certain to forward your comments to our staff, and I am certain that they will be extremely pleased to know that they have exceeded your expectations. We feel very honored to be your favorite hotel in Amsterdam and are much looking forward to welcome you back.

wien
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Beautiful, quirky and stylishly designed hotel, but had a horrible check in experience. I arrived separately to my husband who was due to arrive 3 hours later than myself. The check in lady did not want to let me in the room as my passport did not have his surname. I explained that modern women do not usually take their husbands surnames nowadays, and that our office had booked a room for 2 under his name. I was treated like an imposter or worse (think what amsterdam is famous for) until i managed to find something in my wallet that had "his" surname on. I don't think that would have happened if it had been the other way round (if it had been in my name and he had arrived first). Apart from that service impeccable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing you stay at our hotel with 5 stars, even though you did not receive the warm welcome that we wish to extend to all our guests. We apologize for this experience and have addressed the issue with our reception team. We are glad that you have enjoyed the rest of your stay and would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

This past summer, I visited Amsterdam with my family and we stayed at the Conservatorium. Our stay here was amazing. When we first arrived, we were given a free upgrade to a better room. Our room was modern, luxurious, and very comfortable. The windows on the walls of the bedroom were extremely small, but the room was still very bright and spacious because a HUGE skylight on the ceiling would open up and make the room very bright during the day. One of my favorite parts of the room was how large the bathroom was. The large shower had one of those huge showerheads that hang from the ceilings so the showers felt great. The bathtub was ridiculously large and seemed as if 5 tall people could fit in it. The double sinks were also a very nice touch to the bathroom. Every morning, we went to the main lobby and had a hearty and delicious breakfast with fresh fruits and juices, as well as the European cold cuts. The design of the room in which we ate breakfast room was beautiful, in fact, the architecture and design of the whole hotel was just absolutely brilliant! The location was exactly what I was looking for, close to the best museums and parks, and not touristy. If you are looking for a touristy hotel on the canal, this hotel may not be great for you. Although it is not on the canal, the Conservatorium is still about a 7 minute walk to the closest canal, so not far at all. In conclusion, I would highly suggest this hotel for anyone travelling to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms have much smaller windows, but they are more spacious!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We are very pleased to receive your wonderful five-star review, even after all these months. Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us about how much you have enjoyed your stay, highlighting the comfortable and spacious rooms and wide range of breakfast offerings. Your warm recommendation is highly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Paoli, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Excellent restoration, beautifully renovated rooms, great service, pretty decent if expensive restaurant and BEDBUGS. Very bad infestation in the room I was in. I notified the management and hope they have taken care of it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Conservatorium Hotel? Share your experiences!