“check in muddle” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conservatorium Hotel

You added Conservatorium Hotel to your Saves list
Conservatorium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Baerlestraat 27, 1071 AN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #19 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
wien
“check in muddle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Beautiful, quirky and stylishly designed hotel, but had a horrible check in experience. I arrived separately to my husband who was due to arrive 3 hours later than myself. The check in lady did not want to let me in the room as my passport did not have his surname. I explained that modern women do not usually take their husbands surnames nowadays, and that our office had booked a room for 2 under his name. I was treated like an imposter or worse (think what amsterdam is famous for) until i managed to find something in my wallet that had "his" surname on. I don't think that would have happened if it had been the other way round (if it had been in my name and he had arrived first). Apart from that service impeccable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for reviewing you stay at our hotel with 5 stars, even though you did not receive the warm welcome that we wish to extend to all our guests. We apologize for this experience and have addressed the issue with our reception team. We are glad that you have enjoyed the rest of your stay and would be delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

This past summer, I visited Amsterdam with my family and we stayed at the Conservatorium. Our stay here was amazing. When we first arrived, we were given a free upgrade to a better room. Our room was modern, luxurious, and very comfortable. The windows on the walls of the bedroom were extremely small, but the room was still very bright and spacious because a HUGE skylight on the ceiling would open up and make the room very bright during the day. One of my favorite parts of the room was how large the bathroom was. The large shower had one of those huge showerheads that hang from the ceilings so the showers felt great. The bathtub was ridiculously large and seemed as if 5 tall people could fit in it. The double sinks were also a very nice touch to the bathroom. Every morning, we went to the main lobby and had a hearty and delicious breakfast with fresh fruits and juices, as well as the European cold cuts. The design of the room in which we ate breakfast room was beautiful, in fact, the architecture and design of the whole hotel was just absolutely brilliant! The location was exactly what I was looking for, close to the best museums and parks, and not touristy. If you are looking for a touristy hotel on the canal, this hotel may not be great for you. Although it is not on the canal, the Conservatorium is still about a 7 minute walk to the closest canal, so not far at all. In conclusion, I would highly suggest this hotel for anyone travelling to Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms have much smaller windows, but they are more spacious!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We are very pleased to receive your wonderful five-star review, even after all these months. Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us about how much you have enjoyed your stay, highlighting the comfortable and spacious rooms and wide range of breakfast offerings. Your warm recommendation is highly appreciated and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Paoli, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Excellent restoration, beautifully renovated rooms, great service, pretty decent if expensive restaurant and BEDBUGS. Very bad infestation in the room I was in. I notified the management and hope they have taken care of it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Esher, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

If your Amsterdam visit is centred on the cultural attractions of the museum quarter (Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh & Stedeliijk museums and Concertgebouw, The Conservatorium is an ideal choice. There are tram stops right outside for easy and direct access to the town centre and railway station. Rooms are stylish and comfortable, if a little on the dark side with overly-complicated light controls. Note that the duplex rooms have the sleeping area upstairs, with the sitting area, bathroom and wardrobes downstairs, presumably to make best use of space in a grand late 19th century building some of whose rooms have high ceilings but restricted floor space. Attractive brasserie for breakfast and informal eating in the former courtyard, covered over to make an impressive atrium.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent visit and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear that you have had an enjoyable stay. Your details in every area of the hotel are greatly appreciated and we hope that you will give us the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

The Conservatorium is breathtaking- a modern stylish hotel in a stunning 19th century neo-gothic building, with spacious well appointed public areas and the quality of amenities, service and cleanliness that is expected in top of the market hotels. Needless to say reception, dining room and bedroom service staff were extremely helpful, friendly and efficient

However, what sets the Consevatorium apart from any other hotel in which I have stayed was our bedroom. Our superior room on the seventh floor was huge, with a simple elegance and beauty that I have not encountered in any modern hotel, and the view of the city through the panorama window........!!! The light touch push button technology for everything took a bit of getting used to, but I think I can live with that!

The hotel provides the perfect base for a short stay in Amsterdam- opposite the Van Gogh Museum and close tram stops and to a 197 bus stop (with fast easy access to Schipol).

An unforgettable experience for me and perfect for my wife's 50th birthday celebration.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

From beginning to end it was an absolute delight to read through your review. I am thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our accommodation. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope you can make it back to the Conservatorium Hotel for another enjoyable stay.

Londonderry, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Loved, loved, loved this hotel! My sister was going to Amsterdam on a business trip and I had the opportunity to go with her. The staff at this hotel go out of their way to make sure all your needs are met. They always had a friendly smile and I was in awe of how quickly they could converse in multiple languages depending on what language they were being addressed in. David the concierge was so much fun; he greeted us every day with suggestions on what to do and where to go. My favorite part of the hotel was the lobby, there were many places to sit and people watch, where we could get a glass of wine or a cup of tea. Amsterdam is a walking city, so it was something to look forward to after a long day of sightseeing. The hotel was located in a nice area that was close to the museums and shopping. The rooms are spacious and the bathroom is to die for, especially the shower! They also have a wonderful breakfast buffet that has many fruits and cheeses to choose from. The hotel had more than met my expectation and was one of my favorite places in Amsterdam.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our accommodation. We are very glad that you have spent such a pleasant time at our hotel and that everything corresponded or even exceeded your expectations. We hope this experience with us is just one of several you will have, and we would be happy to welcome you back in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

I come to Amsterdam yearly for TEFAF and stay at The Amstel. I chose to stay at The Conservatorium this year and it was excellent. Their Concierge, Etan Sela, made my stay there beyond 5 star, arranging private trips to Paleis Het Loo to Dinners at the best Restaurants on a monents notice. The Atmosphere , Staff, Service and Spa were congruents with Mr. Sela's Service. I have already recommended the Hotel to 3 friends whom will be staying there in May. This is THE place to stay while you are in Amsterdam and conviently located across the street from the 3 most acclaimed Museums in the world: The Van Gogh, The Stedelijk, and of course; The Rijksmuseum!
I have already booked my stay for next year!

• Stayed March 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us at the Conservatorium Hotel. We are delighted to know that we have exceeded your expectations, and are grateful for recommending our hotel to your friends.

It gives us great pleasure to know that you will be returning next year and we are looking forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay.

Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Conservatorium Hotel? Share your experiences!