“Don't arrive too early.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Conservatorium Hotel

Save Saved
You added Conservatorium Hotel to your Saves list
Conservatorium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Baerlestraat 27, 1071 AN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #20 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Don't arrive too early.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

Have stayed in this very nice hotel twice since it opened in 2011 but twice had a problem at arrival. In 2012, although I had informed that my wife was handicapped and uses a wheelchair, we were shown into a suite with a split level..... impossible of course and waited then for a very long time before another appropriate room was ready.
Last December, our suite was not ready on arrival in the afternoon, after check-in time.
We were offered to wait in the lounge where a coffee would be served. However the coffee didn't come because the coffee machine had broken down (?) ( this hotel has Nespresso machines in every room and was unable to serve us a coffee (?) After 1,5 hour waiting we were finally shown into our suite.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us again and for informing us about your experience at our hotel. I do apologize that on both of your stays the check-in did not go as smoothly as it should. I can assure you that this is not the warm welcome that we want to extend to our guests. We hope that we may welcome you back for a third time on which I can assure you that you will not experience the same problems again.

Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Turkish first
Cheshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've just returned from staying at this hotel for 3 nights (24-27 December) and wanted to write a fair review while all the details were still fresh in my mind.
I chose this hotel because I have stayed in it several times before and I truly love the outstanding decor, architecture and location of the hotel.
On this occasion I booked a deluxe duplex (room 519) on entering it was spacious, light and just how I remembered. Unfortunately there was a very strong musty/drainage smell present in both the upstairs and downstairs bathrooms. After calling guest services they sent a maintenance man who let himself in and tried to resolve the problem. We went out for the afternoon and came back to a smell which was much worse than before. After discussing the issue with Floris De Wit on Reception he offered to change our room and at the same time upgrade us which was a nice gesture. We moved to room 801 which is a rooftop suite, spacious, beautiful layout and most importantly odour free!
We settled in and started getting ready for dinner when all the lights went out! It made it somewhat tricky to get ready in the dark but we mentioned it to reception and on our return everything was fixed and back to normal.
Apart from the couple of issues we experienced everything with the room was perfect, a lovely note and bottle of wine and chocolates were left in the room from Floris which was a nice touch. It wouldn't put me off from returning because the issues were dealt with professionally and in a timely manner.
I want to move onto the other areas that I visited in the hotel:

The pool area is beautiful, everything was exceptionally clean and I love the dried fruit and nuts, the water and the towels / slippers / robes they offer. It really is a place to relax and rejuvenate.

The Tunes bar is dark and atmospheric with an amazing selection of drinks. The service was hit or miss which is disappointing when there were 4 or more members of staff in what is quite a compact area. It seems quite a popular place for locals to have a drink so it can get pretty busy.

The Lounge (which is the area in between reception and the brasserie) is where I think the hotel has its biggest flaws. The area acts as hotel lobby seating and also a place for snacks and drinks, somewhere to 'lounge' and relax, maybe pre or post dinner but the area is too small and there isn't enough seating for it to accommodate all of these different requirements and all of its guests who are staying in the hotel or non residents. I found it difficult to even get a seat at any time of the day and was told by one waitress that I couldn't reserve, reservations were only for large parties. It was at this point that I decided to complain and they managed to find me a seat about 30 minutes later. This I appreciated as I didn't necessarily want to sit in the dimply lit Tunes bar. The layout of the seating is rather interesting, and I understand the concept but you will find yourself sitting on a sofa or in very close proximity with other people, so I guess it's not the place for a romantic drink or a business chat.

The brasserie is where I ate at breakfast which has a good selection of cold cuts, fruit, pastries etc. I couldn't say its amazing and at 24euros for continental I think its very overpriced. For 6 euros more you can have some hot food cooked to order, which was good but at 30 euros I would expect it to be! I asked for some yoghurt one morning and didn't get it, service on the whole was a tad slow and disorganised and the carpet was messy with food. Coffee and juices seemed to take quite a while to arrive which was disappointing and tables weren't cleared or cleaned even though there seemed to be quite a large number of staff. I also had Christmas day dinner here and I have to say that the service was much better and a really enjoyable experience. The food was good, there was live music/singer and the service was better although again the carpet wasn't cleaned, there were dried crackers and crayons on the floor and under the table. We also ate a late lunch there on the 27th Dec and the food was good, service was poor and the floor had food / crumbs all over it yet again. It's sad to see it in this state.

I mentioned all of my points to the person on reception when we checked out after he asked about our stay and he was apologetic and sincere in his response, however, he also said that the hotel is open to non residents because its such an old beautiful building and they want to give something back to the people of Amsterdam by letting them view it after the massive renovations. I though it to be quite sweet, however, the hotel is a business, not a charity, I understand it's there to make money, get people in and order drinks etc but please pay some preferential attention to the guests that are paying $500 + a night to stay there, and make sure there is enough seating and excellent service is delivered in all areas of your hotel.

I would return for sure as long as I got a good rate.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear guest,

We are happy that you chose to stay with us during Christmas and thank you for your continued support. We thank you as well for giving us this detailed, step by step description on your findings. Your feedback is certainly very helpful for us, as it highlights the areas that need improvement. I can assure that I will be speaking to the responsible managers to address your issues and to make sure that we will fully meet your needs on your next stay.

Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

It was not my choice, I usually go to another hotel by the canals but a Dutch friend recommended it. He said it´s new, next to all the museums, concert hall and very close to the center without all the noise and tourists...like us. He was right. It was the first time I took my family to Amsterdam - four daughters (from 14 to 9) - they all want to return, not because of the weather, canals, bike rides, Rijkmuseum or the Van Gogh...but because of the hotel.
The hotel has the best service I have encountered in Europe and that goes for all of it - including the Connaught. The personnel is most helpful. I will just mention Peter - the host - who my wife and I drove crazy with reservations but I extend it to everyone. I did not go to the restaurant but the food at room service was pretty good to say the least. The rooms, we had 3 and they were all different, were modern, techy and comfortable. The spa was excellent as my wife and children could attest, they miss it already and we just left!
Anyway, I hope this helps - it´s the opinion of a well travelled Spaniard for whatever it´s worth. If you are going alone with your friend, wife or with a larger family this should be your top option without a doubt.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear guest,

First of all please thank your Dutch friend for recommending us. We are happy that you took his advice, and it has been a pleasure to serve you and your family. We are delighted to know that you have had such a lovely family trip and look forward to welcoming you back.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

We stayed in December in the Conservatorium hotel and it was just great. The lobby with its eclectic choice of design furniture of all denominations, the high ceilings, the Jerusalem stone around the elevators and the enormous fabulous Xmas tree filled with candy canes and what seems like a million little gingerbread man, it all brings out a festive Xmas spirit that is not over the top like in other places, but elegant. While we were staying we got a tour of the property from peter the host, he really knows the place and can make the old bank building / music school come alive with his entertaining stories. We also spent one day in the spa where we had a great massage, a workout and also they arranged after the massage a private Jacuzzi for us in the couples room. All in all the best hotel of Amsterdam, and also the location is great next to the major tram lines, within a walk to the canals.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind and entertaining review, which we really enjoyed reading. I am sure our pastry chefs will be delighted to hear your praise of this year’s ‘Sweet Christmas’ theme. Thank you also for your kind compliments about the outstanding services of our host Peter, and for highlighting your lovely experience in the Akasha spa. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of serving you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Stayed twice during the Christmas holidays. First time, experienced the truly wonderful. Van Baerle suite (room 508). Highly recommend it. One of the best hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. I also looked at the Conservatorium suite (not worth it) and the royal duplex (nice but not quite as good as the Van Baerle). Service is good, the spa and gym wonderful. The lobby restaurant is the only down part of the experience: cramped tables, surly service and mediocre food. It is not helped by the fact that the lobby is overrun by local trendies who also want to get a piece of this nice hotel and hang out for coffee, etc. Overall though, for me this is the best in Amsterdam and I have tried most others.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your review. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay in our Van Baerle Suite and thank you for your kind recommendation. We are sorry however to learn that your experience in our Brasserie did not live up to the other facilities of the hotel. We will discuss your comments with our Brasserie team to make sure that we will improve in this area. Hopefully we may welcome you back to experience these improvements yourself.

Noordwijkerhout, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

Wonderfull hotel with excellent guest service. Check in very professional and proactive. Lovely staff who are always willing to help you with any inquiries you might have. Breakfast is very good, lots of choise. Coffee and tea are served at the table which I appreciate very much, but is not very common anymore in most hotels...
Location is very convenient with the shopping disctrict around the corner and all the fabulous sights the city has to offer within easy walking distance. This hotel is the best I have stayed in so far in Amsterdam and for sure I will come back soon!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Dear guest,

We are very honored that you think so highly of our hotel. Your kind comments are much appreciated and I will certainly convey them to the entire team. It has been our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay in Amsterdam.

Davis, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Have just stayed six nights at the hotel. Entirely wonderful experience. I always chose hotels that have an emphasis on design excellence and I was very impressed. The location is perfect for museum lovers and actually for all of Amsterdam. The Spa is fabulous (I defy anyone to name a more elegant and visually attractive setting). In summary, I was hoping for an eight but got a ten (or more accurately, a "Spinal Tap" eleven). Kudos to the staff.

Room Tip: I stayed on the third floor (rooms 310 and 312 for my two stays) and I was very, very happy with the...