“great hotel but pricey” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conservatorium Hotel

Save Saved
You added Conservatorium Hotel to your Saves list
Conservatorium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Baerlestraat 27, 1071 AN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #20 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
New York City, New York
“great hotel but pricey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

The only thing wrong with this hotel is that it is very expensive. We thought the service, room, shower,location etc. were great. We did not eat at the hotel so we cannot comment on the food but the cocktails were very good. The staff were uniformly helpful and knowledgeable. If visiting the museums is a priority the location can't be beat. All in all, a great hotel, just pricey.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing your stay at the Conservatorium Hotel. We are happy to know that you have had an enjoyable time with us. Hopefully you will give us the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

562 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

From the moment my sister and I arrived and were served delicious crushed organic apple juice as we checked in, to the moment we left 5 days later, the Conservatorium exceeded our hopes in every way possible - it was outstanding. I travelled from Australia and my sister from Scotland - as a place to meet up and explore Amsterdam you could not find a better location. So close to museums and the great canal tours too. This hotel is about much more than just great location however - the staff were incredibly warm, welcoming, helpful and genuine. Linda and Bryan made each breakfast delightful with their attentive service and good humour with a smile. The breakfasts are not to be missed and we found everything delicious - especially the eggs benedict and pancakes. On our first night we were busy talking so had room service - also excellent food, beautifully presented. The beds were fantastically comfortable, the room quiet with a lovely view and the bathroom was very well appointed with everything you need. My personal highlight was the stunning lap pool and great gym, sauna and fabulous yoga classes. I did three in three days - all excellent and in 25 years of yoga classes the one I did with Hanna Paz is simply The Best Ever - what a wonderful teacher with insightful and interesting poses to share. My sister also loved the Hammam and Massage. I would like to pass on my very enthusiastic endorsement of this superb hotel, the best I have come across anywhere in the world. What a beautiful setting - ultra modern yet with the gorgeous details of stained glass and tiles from the past to make you really feel that you are a part of history. My heartfelt compliments to Mr De Wit, Ms Velthuijs and their faultless support staff. I hope to return with my husband and sons, sooner rather than later! What a wonderful memory to look back on in a stunning city. Thank you for a perfectly delightful stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Ms. Robertson,

It has been a great pleasure to have you and your sister as our guests. I am heartened by your kind comments. It is a great boost to the team to receive such wonderful recognition. We would like to thank you again for your very kind comments and hope that we will be able to welcome you and your family to the Conservatorium Hotel in the nearby future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We had a glorious long weekend, staying at the Conservatorium and visiting the art galleries (minutes walk away) and the city itself (totally accessible by tram). The hotel is indeed very expensive, as other reviewers have commented, but in this case we thought it was worth it. We could experience what we were paying for, which is not always the case in expensive hotels. The building itself is stylish and unusual, with the most modern of decor and every luxury in the bedroom, combined with wonderful period features that echo back to its past activities, such as the tiled corridors with their original banking-associated decorations. It is really beautiful. And the delightful staff could not have been more warm, welcoming, helpful and attentive - from phone conversations about details before we arrived, to being remembered and receiving personal service throughout our stay. Add to all this spectacular facilities in the spa, the Nespresso machine in the bedroom (we had a beautiful spacious room on the seventh floor with a view of the roof-tops), the amazing cocktail in the bar ... I could wax lyrical all day. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff about what you want and they will do their best to help.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your wonderful comments regarding your stay at the Conservatorium Hotel. It gives us all great pleasure to know that you have enjoyed your stay so immensely. We are thrilled to know that you would like to return, and it would be my pleasure to welcome you back on your next stay in Amsterdam.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night for anniversary celebration and tourism. Location is excellent, building and furnishing is superb throughout. Service is personal and efficient. Spa facilities good. For this price range it will be my hotel of choice in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your favorable feedback. Congratulations on your anniversary, I am very happy that we were able to host this special celebration. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Conservatorium has got to be one of the best hotels I have stayed at, though also one of the most expensive.

The hotel has a great location just off Museumplein which means superb access to all the main museums in Amsterdam.

The hotel itself looks spectacular once you step inside the lobby. The entire lobby and cafe area is actually built in front of the building that houses the rooms, so it puts a very modern looking structure against something more old world.

The staff is wonderful. We were staying at another place when we first came to Amsterdam and were to travel to two more cities before returning to stay at Conservatorium. The hotel was more than happy to keep one piece of luggage for us for an entire week which enabled us to travel lighter as we went to Prague and Berlin.

And what can I say about the room!! We were staying in what I think was a deluxe room which is split over two floors - well one floor and a mezzanine. It overlooked the lobby and cafe, which was a really nice view actually from the room. The entrance level of the room has a large bathroom and sitting area, while you climb the stairs to go to the bedroom which has a smaller attached bathroom.

Plus factor for me - the room has a Nespresso machine. Waking up with a cup of that every morning was great. The room has a lot of modern switches which got me a little confused at first. But you figure it out quickly. The decor is very modern with a splash of Delft pottery in the form of plates on one wall. Those plates incidentally looked better than any other pottery I had seen in shops in Amsterdam!!

My only grouse was being woken up by the housekeeping guy in the morning, only to check when we wanted the room cleaned so he wouldn't need to disturb us!!! He sort of missed the point there by ringing the bell in the first place. And 20 mins later rung the bell again, claiming it was accidental this time. Not happy.

Apart from that one incidence, it was a great experience and if it weren't for the expense, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lobby
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this wonderful and very detailed review. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay, and sincerely appreciate the fine comments you make about all our facilities. Your compliments are truly inspirational to all of us and we will certainly convey them to the entire team. We have also noted your remark regarding the housekeeping service and will certainly address this within the department. We would be happy to welcome you back in the future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Tunes Bar by Shilo is the best Japanese restaurant around Amsterdam. We were there last Monday, and we had a spectacular dinner. The service was more than great and the fish was the best I ever tasted. The crispy edamame, the maki rolls with smoked eel, crab and salmon alaska. It was an amazing dinner. And of course, not forgetting how great is the conservatorium Hotel.
We thoroughly enjoyed the food, the place and night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. We are very happy to receive such favourable feedback regarding the food in Tunes Bar. We have only recently launched this new concept for the Bar including the finest Asian Tapas. We will certainly convey your compliments to our highly skilled Japanese chefs. I am sure they will be delighted to know that you have enjoyed your dinner so immensely. We are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Recently stayed for a few nights.
Reception friendly and efficient albeit a bit slow. Room clean and spacious, strange design where the en suite door appears like the rest of the wall, but once opened no problem because it never closed fully again. Very heavy to move as well. Room service efficient and room kept clean, but it was pot luck if they were going to leave any water, 2 small bottles when we arrived, one smaller bottle replacement on one night only.
Breakfast, total chaos.
Day 1 was not given a menu, so I was not aware that there was a hot breakfast as well as the buffet until half way through I saw a table being served poached eggs. Had our fruit, went to the buffet , about 4 strides away, only to turn round to our table to note it was cleared and the waitress had everything on her tray, even though there was a guide book and my mobile on the table and my wifes' handbag by her chair. I had not even started my cup of tea. The waitress said she would relay with fresh, she never did, I assume she had a very short memory because she started serving other people. I asked her and 2 other waiters when they were going to reset the table, but no one really cared and it took an absolute age.
Day 2 slightly better, tea and coffee were very slow coming and not offered any juice this morning, so had to ask twice for it.
Day 3 back to chaos, 10 minute wait before anyone even approached our table.

Good parts are the Brasserie, food very good and service really very efficient. The Tunes dining room only offers a full 3/4 course set meal with a few choices, some incredibly expensive. We did not use it so cannot comment on it, but like us there must be other guests who would use the dining room, but do not want a full 4 course meal.
One fault I found with the Brasserie is the seating. At some of the tables the chairs are very low, so you have the table half way up your chest. We had to ask for cushions to sit on.

Finally the killer blow that would put many hotels in a 1 star bracket if they were lucky. After breakfast on our 3rd day I got out the lift on our bedroom floor, to be met by a mouse coming the other way. Not sure which room he was staying in. I told 2 young ladies who were doing room service along from our bedroom, but no concern was expressed and they just said they would let maintenance know. Later on I told reception, who said the same. Must have been mainenances' day off. I never saw or heard anyone, the lift being very near our room, and no one came and asked exactly where the mouse was. Must have gone back to a room. nice surprise for someone in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the detailed description of your stay at our hotel. We sincerely regret that you have not been able to experience the unparalleled service we strive for to provide. Please be assured that we take your comments very serious and will do our utmost to improve in these areas.

To ensure that our guest experience remains at the high level we expect, we are undertaking additional training exercises with our breakfast waiters, focussing especially on the points you have mentioned.

I cannot stress enough how sorry I am for the very unfortunate inconvenience you have experienced in the corridor. We are working closely together with the most professional company that specializes in keeping these unwanted visitors out of the hotel, in particular in Amsterdam where this is an unfortunate occurrence.

Once again our sincere apology for the poor level of service you have experienced. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in order to prove that these points have been amended and for what will hopefully be a true 5-star stay.

Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Conservatorium Hotel? Share your experiences!