“Modern, stylish comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conservatorium Hotel

Save Saved
You added Conservatorium Hotel to your Saves list
Conservatorium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Baerlestraat 27, Amsterdam 1071 AN, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #19 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Singapore, Singapore
“Modern, stylish comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Conservatorium has got to be one of the best hotels I have stayed at, though also one of the most expensive.

The hotel has a great location just off Museumplein which means superb access to all the main museums in Amsterdam.

The hotel itself looks spectacular once you step inside the lobby. The entire lobby and cafe area is actually built in front of the building that houses the rooms, so it puts a very modern looking structure against something more old world.

The staff is wonderful. We were staying at another place when we first came to Amsterdam and were to travel to two more cities before returning to stay at Conservatorium. The hotel was more than happy to keep one piece of luggage for us for an entire week which enabled us to travel lighter as we went to Prague and Berlin.

And what can I say about the room!! We were staying in what I think was a deluxe room which is split over two floors - well one floor and a mezzanine. It overlooked the lobby and cafe, which was a really nice view actually from the room. The entrance level of the room has a large bathroom and sitting area, while you climb the stairs to go to the bedroom which has a smaller attached bathroom.

Plus factor for me - the room has a Nespresso machine. Waking up with a cup of that every morning was great. The room has a lot of modern switches which got me a little confused at first. But you figure it out quickly. The decor is very modern with a splash of Delft pottery in the form of plates on one wall. Those plates incidentally looked better than any other pottery I had seen in shops in Amsterdam!!

My only grouse was being woken up by the housekeeping guy in the morning, only to check when we wanted the room cleaned so he wouldn't need to disturb us!!! He sort of missed the point there by ringing the bell in the first place. And 20 mins later rung the bell again, claiming it was accidental this time. Not happy.

Apart from that one incidence, it was a great experience and if it weren't for the expense, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lobby
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this wonderful and very detailed review. We are delighted to note that you have enjoyed your stay, and sincerely appreciate the fine comments you make about all our facilities. Your compliments are truly inspirational to all of us and we will certainly convey them to the entire team. We have also noted your remark regarding the housekeeping service and will certainly address this within the department. We would be happy to welcome you back in the future.

512 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Tunes Bar by Shilo is the best Japanese restaurant around Amsterdam. We were there last Monday, and we had a spectacular dinner. The service was more than great and the fish was the best I ever tasted. The crispy edamame, the maki rolls with smoked eel, crab and salmon alaska. It was an amazing dinner. And of course, not forgetting how great is the conservatorium Hotel.
We thoroughly enjoyed the food, the place and night.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. We are very happy to receive such favourable feedback regarding the food in Tunes Bar. We have only recently launched this new concept for the Bar including the finest Asian Tapas. We will certainly convey your compliments to our highly skilled Japanese chefs. I am sure they will be delighted to know that you have enjoyed your dinner so immensely. We are looking forward to serving you again in the future.

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Recently stayed for a few nights.
Reception friendly and efficient albeit a bit slow. Room clean and spacious, strange design where the en suite door appears like the rest of the wall, but once opened no problem because it never closed fully again. Very heavy to move as well. Room service efficient and room kept clean, but it was pot luck if they were going to leave any water, 2 small bottles when we arrived, one smaller bottle replacement on one night only.
Breakfast, total chaos.
Day 1 was not given a menu, so I was not aware that there was a hot breakfast as well as the buffet until half way through I saw a table being served poached eggs. Had our fruit, went to the buffet , about 4 strides away, only to turn round to our table to note it was cleared and the waitress had everything on her tray, even though there was a guide book and my mobile on the table and my wifes' handbag by her chair. I had not even started my cup of tea. The waitress said she would relay with fresh, she never did, I assume she had a very short memory because she started serving other people. I asked her and 2 other waiters when they were going to reset the table, but no one really cared and it took an absolute age.
Day 2 slightly better, tea and coffee were very slow coming and not offered any juice this morning, so had to ask twice for it.
Day 3 back to chaos, 10 minute wait before anyone even approached our table.

Good parts are the Brasserie, food very good and service really very efficient. The Tunes dining room only offers a full 3/4 course set meal with a few choices, some incredibly expensive. We did not use it so cannot comment on it, but like us there must be other guests who would use the dining room, but do not want a full 4 course meal.
One fault I found with the Brasserie is the seating. At some of the tables the chairs are very low, so you have the table half way up your chest. We had to ask for cushions to sit on.

Finally the killer blow that would put many hotels in a 1 star bracket if they were lucky. After breakfast on our 3rd day I got out the lift on our bedroom floor, to be met by a mouse coming the other way. Not sure which room he was staying in. I told 2 young ladies who were doing room service along from our bedroom, but no concern was expressed and they just said they would let maintenance know. Later on I told reception, who said the same. Must have been mainenances' day off. I never saw or heard anyone, the lift being very near our room, and no one came and asked exactly where the mouse was. Must have gone back to a room. nice surprise for someone in the middle of the night.

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the detailed description of your stay at our hotel. We sincerely regret that you have not been able to experience the unparalleled service we strive for to provide. Please be assured that we take your comments very serious and will do our utmost to improve in these areas.

To ensure that our guest experience remains at the high level we expect, we are undertaking additional training exercises with our breakfast waiters, focussing especially on the points you have mentioned.

I cannot stress enough how sorry I am for the very unfortunate inconvenience you have experienced in the corridor. We are working closely together with the most professional company that specializes in keeping these unwanted visitors out of the hotel, in particular in Amsterdam where this is an unfortunate occurrence.

Once again our sincere apology for the poor level of service you have experienced. We hope that we will be able to welcome you back in order to prove that these points have been amended and for what will hopefully be a true 5-star stay.

Stellenbosch, South Africa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We arrived 10pm in the evening after travelling all day. We had booked our room (1 night only) through booking.com. Once we arrived at reception, they immediately tried to "upsell' us to a higher cost room. We declined and asked if we could go t oour room as we had been travelling all day. We enquired if there was anywhere to get a drink and we were shown the direction of the Bar on the first floor by the receptionist. We made our way to the bar around 10h30 but could not find any way in through the locked doors. I went down to the restaurant and enquired and was told by an extremely rude and arrogant staffmember that "The Bar is CLOSED!". We returned to our room and attempted to have a beverage but no bottle opener in the room as well as 1 packet of sugar and i sachet of milk for the "help yourself to coffee" machine in the room. I called reception and complained as by this time we were just fed up! The leaflet in the room advertised the bar was open until 12 midnight! A young Manager called at our room with a bottle of wine to apologise for the inconvenience caused. All was forgotten about then as they had seen the error and wanted to rectify it. However next morning at check out we had been charged for a breakfast (20 Euros per person) which we did not have and it again went downhill from there. We just felt we had been ripped off. I would NOT recommend this hotel.

Dear guest,

We deeply apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay with us. I can assure that this is not the level of service we strive for to provide, and would like to thank you for alerting our attention to the mentioned issues.

I am very disappointed that our bar closed early without informing our guests. I have already spoken to the Bar Management, to guarantee that it will not happen again. I will also ensure we improve in the other areas you highlight.

Hopefully you will give us another chance, on which I am sure you will not experience the same problems again. We would be delighted to welcome you for a true far star experience which the Conservatorium Hotel is known for.

Stony Brook, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have traveled throughout Europe and stayed at many luxury hotels. Conservatorium is in the top 5% of those for multiple reasons:
1. Responsiveness of staff -- answered all of our questions promptly and politely, gave good advice on restaurants and sights in Amsterdam, were helpful in getting us our room early on the day of arrival after we flew in (exhausted) from the US. Doormen were always friendly and helped in getting cabs and giving directions. Our room was always clean and housekeeping staff were responsive and polite.
2. Design of rooms -- we had a Grand Duplex Suite with a elegant bathroom, closets and sitting area on the main floor and bedroom with another bathroom in the 2nd floor loft. Our windows spanned the height of the room on one side and overlooked the lobby/restaurant with a view to the outside. This gave a brightness to the room that was unmatchable. The curtains pulled down with an electronic mechanism (neat!) Lighting was also electronically amazing though a bit hard to figure out at first. Bathrooms were incredible! Bed was comfy.
3. Design of hotel -- The way that the hotel mixes the old historic building with modern accessories is impressive. I particularly liked the "mobile" of violins in the entrance hallway and the huge open lobby/restaurant.
4. Location -- right across the street from Van Gogh museum and about a block from the Rijksmuseum. Tram stops are right across the street to go to virtually every other part of the city. Many shops and restaurants as well as a full-service grocery store within a block or two.

Other comments:
1. Cost: Although we paid more for our room at the Conservatorium than any of the other hotel rooms on our 2 week trip, the hotel was clearly the best that we stayed in this year. And Amsterdam was the largest city that we stayed in so we expected to pay more. A comparable room in New York City would have cost at least as much and probably more. We knew what the room would cost when we made the reservation (and if we couldn't afford it, we would have stayed elsewhere). Overall, we thought it was a good value for the location and the overall experience.
2. Hotel food: We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but did have breakfast there each morning, having paid for it as part of our reservation. Though it was more costly than grabbing a bite at a local coffee shop, we liked the convenience and the variety of the buffet. The atmosphere was quiet and soothing with classical music overhead and interesting art to view in the nearby glass cases. Staff were always available and responsive in bringing drinks and replenishing the buffet.
3. Spa: We didn't have time to use the spa as we were too busy sightseeing but it looked very inviting.
4. Business Center: Several computers for guests to use as well as a printer, which made it easy to print tickets, maps and information about local sights. Unlike many hotel computers, these were new and worked well.

Conclusion: We really loved the Conservatorium and look forward to returning and to visiting other hotels of The Set!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to compose this beautiful and very detailed review, which we have really enjoyed reading. We are very glad that you have spent such a pleasant time at the Conservatorium Hotel and that almost everything corresponded or even exceeded your expectations. It was a pleasure to serve you and we hope you will find the time to visit the other hotels of The Set collection and, even more, to come back to the Conservatorium Hotel!

Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Beatiful boutique urban hotel - a classical conservatorium building, renovated into a hotel. Blending the old with slick, modern and stylish interior design as well as new lobby and function halls by Pierro Lissoni. The Spa areas in the basement are inclusive for guests and the perfect respire after or before an ever exuberant experience of Amsterdam.
Visiting Holland from my residence in Singapore, I spend one night here with my wife. I changed the booking date from Saturday to Tuesday - even though this is contra to the policy of the hotel, as they normally don't allow cancellations or changes of the booking. They were more than willing to make an exception, and still offered a quality and warmth of guest service that has been the most personalized that I ever experienced ! They truly speak the language of their visitors and you feel so at home, it's almost as if they read your mind.

Room Tip: Try the Penthouse @ 3-5k a night !
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, General Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear guest,

From beginning to end it was an absolute delight to read through your review. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay so immensely. Thank you very much for your wonderful comments about our service, flexibility and stylish interior. Thank you also for highlighting our Akasha spa with its luxurious wellness facilities. Hopefully you will give us the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful hotel, lounge area great for waiting or hanging out for a drink or food. Main lobby restaurant provides great cold breakfast buffet and ala carte. From the moment you arrive you experience great service. The staff are very willing to please. They have gone to great lengths to assure the quality of service is the same in the bar, spa or even the hotel services. Concierge is a good spot to get tickets for the museums close by. Best to buy the tickets ahead of time. Rooms are modern with electronic controls for lights, curtains, sound, card entry. Rooms are average in size but the finishing touches from the tiled bathroom to the glass railings are sleek. Spa inspired soaps and shampoos.Close walking distance to the Van Gogh and the Rijksmuseum, high end shopping and several restaurants. Spa and gym are worth the visit if you need a workout. You are paying a premium price for a room so you do expect top service and you get it.

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your kind review. We go above and beyond daily to ensure positive memories for our guests, and we are so happy we did just that for you. It is a pleasure to read your praise of our service and hotel facilities. Hopefully you will find the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Conservatorium Hotel Amsterdam

Been to Conservatorium Hotel? Share your experiences!