“Modern Luxury in an historic building” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Conservatorium Hotel

You added Conservatorium Hotel to your Saves list
Conservatorium Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van Baerlestraat 27, 1071 AN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museum Quarter (Museumkwartier))   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #15 of 355 Hotels in Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Modern Luxury in an historic building”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I decided to surprise my fiance with a romantic night at the hotel. I booked a Deluxe room of some sort (not cheap). It was impressive - 2 stories, 2 bathrooms, great bed and touch panel everything! We originally were going to try Tunes for dinner, but opted for an opening on the other side of Vondelpark.

We also took advantage of the SPA on both our arrival day and again the next morning. I must say that Melodie was really accomodating - I basically called day of our arrival and tried to book couples services for same day. While she couldn't pull off that miracle, she did get us in for massages before their normal 10am opening so that we were able to make my fiance's flight back to the states.

The hotel is beautiful, the staff was some of the kindest and most helpful I've experienced in Europe and the SPA is fantastic. 2 small pieces of feedback - the Hamman was not working and/or I didn't know what I was doing - in the future I would suggest leaving either directions to work it or label it as non-functional. The "private" couples Hamman was working great but only served to make me jealous. The 2nd suggestion is the wifi - for the love of Apple lovers, please consider switching your configuration to WPA from WEP. It will reduce complaints from iPad Mini owners :)

We will come back again. It's a little rough on the wallet, but you won't find a better experience in Amsterdam.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, Guest Relations Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear guest,
Many thanks for your valuable feedback regarding your experience in our hotel. We are very pleased to hear your enthusiasm about our services. We are also happy that you were able to enjoy our Akasha Holistic Wellbeing Center.

We would like to thank you as well for alerting our attention to some issues that are not yet properly functioning. This will certainly help us in improving our services. Unfortunately we cannot change our configuration as our current provider does not allow WPA or WEP.

It is a pleasure to hear that you will come back to our hotel and we are looking forward to serving you again.

Conservatorium hotel Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my boyfriend for a week on holiday we both needed a relaxing break. We've stayed in Amsterdam very many times normally at least twice a year and normally stay at The American Hotel but it's gone down hill recently so we though we'd try the Conservatorium. What a find, the outside of the building looks like it was build in the 19th Century but the inside is super modern with a fantastic glass atrium the full height of the building. Our suite was spotless and beautifully decorated with subtle restful colours. The bathroom was out of this world, a huge bath tub and rainfall shower. The entire suite had recessed light that could be set to 2 different levels, one soft for the evening.

The staff were all friendly and so helpful. I've stayed at top hotels all over the world and the service at the Conservatorium could not be faulted be it the front desk, the doorman, the waiters, barmen or room service it was outstanding.

We ate in both the Brasserie and the restaurant, the former offers good wholesome grub with a great ice table. Breakfast has a good range of cold meats, fish, cheese, my eggs Benedict were smooth and delicious, my pancakes light and fluffy. The restaurant on the other hand offers the height of nouvelle cuisine sophistication. My monk fish starter was I believe the best I have ever tasted, so fresh so subtle.

They also serve a magnificent range of teas in the atrium, the best camomile I have had outside the UK beautifully infused.

Finally the Spa is just a centre of calm and tranquillity,my boyfriend had a terrible muscle knot in his back, two massage sessions later it was gone.

I cannot praise the hotel enough we both just loved it and will definitely be back later in the year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your favourable comments with us. We are happy to know that you had an enjoyable stay at the Conservatorium hotel. It is a pleasure to read the fine comments you make about our services and we will certainly convey them to the entire team. We are delighted to hear that you will visit us again in the future and look forward to having you back as our guest.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We had a great stay. We were particularly impressed by the friendly service (including help from the concierge in helping us to make the most of our 24 hrs in Amsterdam). The hotel has a great style, with awesome rooms, and an awesome spa.

This is a great choice for a cool stay in Amsterdam.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, Guest Relations Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to read this review following your stay at the Conservatorium hotel. Thank you very much for your lovely words about the hotel. Hopefully you will give us the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Barendrecht, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I live in the Netherlands for 9 month, and on valentine's me and my husband decided it would be a good idea to try an hotel with SPA, even if you are used to the Lead Hotels in the world, like Vila Vita Parc in Portugal. This was smaller and we were doubting.
Well, from the reception till the restaurants and SPA, everyone was extremely professional, nice, smiling.
At the end of the weekend I was amazed, relaxed, inspired. The architecture is beatiful, and I defenetly recommend this hotel! We will definetly came back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful words about the Conservatorium hotel. We are delighted that you have enjoyed both our services and facilities. Thank you also for your warm recommendation, we are already looking forward to having you back as our guest.

Kind regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

This stunning hotel does not disappoint I adore staying in new hotels when you know that the bedrooms and bathrooms haven't been used and abused. The room we had was 703 in the attic which was small but perfectly formed, very expensive but a real treat and the bathroom was out of this world, wall to wall fresh natural limestone with everything you could ask for provided. my only criticism would be the lighting which is touch button and a pet hate of ours! I like to sit and put my face on and dry my hair at a desk or dressing table but the lighting doesn't allow this.
The reception is in the basement and we were greeted with delicious organic juice and water on arrival which was very welcoming after a long journey. The staff and Host were kind and efficient. The decor is a wonderful mixture of heritage and über fashionable style. Breakfast was delicious but not included in the already seriously costly room charge which was a bit of a let down so we ate breakfast elsewhere on the second day for a fraction of the cost. Lunch on our departure day was excellent the chicken and polenta is a must have. We had a late flight so a late check out would have been good but sadly was 250 euros extra until 6pm! Tunes bar is so cool and open until really late!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel. We are happy to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We will definitely take your comments into consideration as we strive to provide our guests with excellent service and facilities. We hope to host you as our guest again to fully exceed your expectations.

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We had a mini break in Amsterdam and treated ourselves to a stay at The Conservatorium. It's a beautiful hotel in the building of an old bank. Though our room was relaxing and plush - with a fantastic bathroom and shower - the hotel as a whole felt a little corporate. Great for the international business traveller but not necessarily the romantic destination my partner and I were hoping for. However, the food was amazing. Breakfast delicious and the evening brasserie a great place to eat before unwinding in the lounge. I would definitely recommend however you could've been staying in any European city.
One huge plus is the 'host service' indepedent to the concierge who were able to furnish us with encyclopedic knowledge of Amsterdam - a real asset.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Conservatorium H, Guest Relations Manager at Conservatorium Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear guest,

We thank you very much for your kind review and recommendation on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay, although we regret the fact that design of the hotel was not entirely to your liking. Our culinary team will be pleased to read of your praises and will continue their pursuit of the highest standard in dining and excellent service. Thank you also for highlighting our host service, we are glad that you were well informed about the city of Amsterdam. We hope we get the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Only there for one night but loved the building, the guest room and the perfect staff, who were most helpful.
There is a lovely atmosphere on arrival in the spacious reception, and a sympathetic use of this historic building.
The guest room and bathroom were cleverly signed for your every need and a great night's sleep.
One small complaint, that held me back from an excellent rating, is that the hotel wifi just does not like up to date Apple devices, which needs fixing quickly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business