“Excellent Choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Van Speyk

Van Speyk
Spuistraat 3a, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)
+31 20 4200117
Neighborhood: Dam Square
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Excellent Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Went here because my daughter used to know one of the chefs when she lived in the Netherlands. We got lucky because this was an excellent choice. The greeting was friendly and professional, the service professional but convivial with out lovely Waitress finding time to talk with us. The Merlot we had was very good and well priced too. The food was excellent. I had the beef, which was melt in the mouth and my wife did even better with the sea bream. Al lovely meal, great service in a nice atmosphere. I will definitely return when I go back to Amsterdam.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Northbrook, Illinois
“Elegant Dutch Food in a Relaxing Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

The food, service and atmosphere was superb. Wandered in because it was close to our hotel, then later spoke with our concierge who recommended it. Very fair price for the quality.

Visited March 2014
Norman, Oklahoma
“Dutch meets Francaise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Wonderful small meal at the end of a big day touring Amsterdam. I had a salad and my wife had a great soup. We shared a nice little bottle of wine and then split a fabulous plate of local cheeses. We were able to see several dishes we wish we were hungry for.

Like everywhere we went in Amsterdam, the staff spoke wonderful English and were very attentive!

Visited March 2014
Jedburgh
“Well worth a visit for the seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

I have to say that I don't recognise this restaurant from some of the recent poor reviews. We booked a table for dinner on the basis of the good reviews on this site and were glad that we did so. The food was very good without being totally top notch and the service was excellent. If anything spoilt the experience, it was that, with the location being fairly close to the centre of town (near the station), the restaurant attracted a fair number of tourists - and, unfortunately, a tourist group en masse can be rather boorish.

A first course of scallops with a salad mixed with tiny shrimps was thoughtfully created and utterly delicious; mains of halibut and sea bream were perfectly cooked, with the sea bream being particularly wonderful; the only criticism would be that the halibut was perhaps a little overpowered by its bed of potato. A superb cheese platter (largely French cheeses, however) rounded off an excellent meal.

Altogether, this was a memorable, if slightly expensive, meal.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Beirut, Lebanon
“Worst dinner we had in Amsterdam”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Extremely slow service. Rude waitress. Bland food. We had such a disappointing first dinner in Amsterdam.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Robdewitte, Manager at Van Speyk, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear reviewer,

We're sorry to hear your dinner was such a disappointment. I have made a mistake on the night of your dinner with a large group that caused considerable delay in the kitchen, for which I apologize sincerely, with a promise to never make such a mistake agian. You should have been compensated for your long wait, which I suspect did not happen regarding the tone of your review. Me and my staff consider friendly service of great importance, therefore I would appreciate it if you could send us an email with more details on where you were seated and who waited your table, so I can address the right waitress regarding her rudeness towards you. We work hard to ensure everyone has a good dinner at Van Speyk, and learning from our mistakes is a big part of our work. As a team, we feel sorry that we disappointed you. That said, we hope to be able to welcome you another time, so we can correct our mistakes.

Best regards,