“What a bunch of moaners!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Young Budget Hotel Kabul

Young Budget Hotel Kabul
We can't find prices for this hotel
Young Budget Hotel Kabul
Warmoesstraat 38-42 | Old Centre: Red Light District, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #311 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
penzance
“What a bunch of moaners!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

Come on,you get what you pay for.I've stayed here numerous times and although the place may not be the ritz,it's an adventure in it's own right! It's location is good for the cafes and if the red light is just around the corner if you fancy a shag!Unless the place collapses into the canal(which is probable)I shall be returning.JW

• Stayed February 2005

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

I spent a week in Poland in what I felt was an excellent hostel. I came to Kabul in Amsterdam expecting the same but boy was I suprised. It stank, the staff weren't friendly and there were strange insects around. But my roommates were cool and we were allowed to smoke bongs in our room and drink beer. It's so close as well to all the nightlife and the train station. If you want a clean room with excellent service then don't go there. But if you pick up gear from a coffee shop and want to smoke it in your room then go to Kabul. Well dodgy place, but I liked my roommates, especially a Finnish guy & Japanese guy who liked their smoke. A good night. You wouln't be able to do that in another Dam hostel. But watch out for the bugs. Well skanking.

Stayed July 2005

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2005

I have stayed at some awful places on my travels but this one really is the pits....rooms were dirty, bed unchanged from previous visitors and staff rude and unfriendly. They even tried to keep our key deposits when we checked out after one night. I wouldn't book a room here for my worst enemy

• Stayed July 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2005

Do you like pigeons? Does the overpowering aroma of urine set your heart racing? Does the prospect of housing nightly insect feasts on your own flesh fill you with joy? Perhaps sleeping in sauna temperatures whilst fearing for the health consequences of daring to open a window is more your style? Or maybe you just like to be woken by the delightful and unique screechings of the local pigeon turf wars? Is having incompetent and unfriendly staff a real turn on? If some or all of these enticing propositions form your Amsterdam accomadation checklist, and providing you have the relevent outdoor persuits qualifications necessary to scale the stairs, then the aptly-named "Hotel" Kabul your ideal Dutch experience.

On arriving in Amsterdam we were turned away from our intended accomadation and instead were put up in the smaller less enticing surroundings of Hotel Kabul. However, the similarities with the nativity tale did not end there, as we were amazed to discover the range of wildlife that greeted us in the stable-like conditions of Kabul. Our view overlooking the courtyard of rotting Pigeon corpses was particularly striking, though the impression this left on us was perhaps less tangible than that left by the insects who relentlessly chewed their way through our party during our stay.

We were especially perplexed by the dilema posed to us by the intense heat of our room. With the only window opening directly onto "pigeon yard" we were faced with a grim choice that ended in a combination of both foul smelling odours and heavy sweating as we attempted to strike an impossible balance.

Whilst the pigeons revelled in their lively role of waking us at sunrise, the Hotel staff were somewhat less spirited and provided a sullen, dull, and unhelpful attitude that was entirely inkeeping with the general ambience of Kabul (city and hotel).

The fact that i am not discussing at length the shortcomings of the decoration, the furnishings, security, the food, the stairs, the general hygene, and the toilet and shower facilities is reflective of the more concerning challenges provided during a stay at Hotel Kabul.

Kabul is not a hotel to be taken lightly and guests should be aware of the battles that will await them upon arrival. Kabul by name, Kabul by nature, just don't bother...

• Stayed April 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2004

Hell on earth, filthy dirty disgusting...... anyway great location, coffeeshop 36 strongly recommended.

brussels
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2004

The other reviews are dead on- too bad I didn't read them before I booked! A friend and I popped over to Amsterdam from London for a weekend trip, and like the poor students that we are, we looked for somewhere cheap to stay. The Hostel Kabul seemed like a gamble when we booked online, but we didn't think it'd be such a flop house. Pay a little more and stay someplace a LOT nicer. Unless you like bad smells, dirty bathrooms, and an overall feeling of creepy filth. (One positive thing- the location is great for getting to Centraal Station)

• Stayed November 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2004

This is with no doubt the worse place I ever stayed in.. Dirty, Stinky, and expensive.. we paid 115 euro for a triple bedroom (if room is the exact word for this **** hole) actualy we were 20 if you count the mice and bugs.. no warm water and dirty sheets, no closets, just 2 matrasses where we slept with our clothes on so we won't catch cholera or ebola..
Seriously, if someday this place is your only chance spending the night in Amsterdam, you better turn back home or go to Kabul in Afghanistan.. I'm sure you'll save yourself a lot of health..

• Stayed October 2004

Been to Young Budget Hotel Kabul? Share your experiences!