“Kabul Amsterdam or Kabul Afghanistan ??? You Decide” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Young Budget Hotel Kabul

Young Budget Hotel Kabul
We can't find prices for this hotel
Young Budget Hotel Kabul
Warmoesstraat 38-42 | Old Centre: Red Light District, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #311 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Lancashire
“Kabul Amsterdam or Kabul Afghanistan ??? You Decide”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

After departing the countryside of Lancashire, we arrived at our first stop, Amsterdam in our Quest to follow ENGLAND in the world cup 2006. Many other budding followers were also in the dam, making accomodation scarce to say the least. After trawling tourist information, we stumbled upon ''HOTEL KABUL'', which supprisingly enough, had vacaincies. All six of us hurried ahead and entered THE KABUL. We were met at reception by two shifty looking turkish men, who neither raised a smile or an eyebrow to greet us. We was then told it was 35 euros each for a night stay, but we immediately accepted, pleased that we had a roof over our heads for the night. As we were led to our shared 8-man room, we noticed what could only be described as large pockets of bullet holes in the walls. Upon realising we had our pants trulley pulled down with a 35 euro cost, we dumped our bags (after taking out valuables), and got ready to hit the city life. We shared the room with to american wanderers who on our arrival, were combing the beds for bedbugs. We decided our only option was to get blind drunk in order to block out the horrific surroundings/decor. When i awoke, after a heavy night, i was unsure of my bearings and half expected to see Gary Glitter, as it was reminisent of a cambodian prison!!! I would therefoe NOT reccomend anyone to endure a night of pure punishment and the hands of the KABUL staff.

• Stayed June 2006

28 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

My friend and I went on a little weekend budget trip to Amsterdam and decided to stay at Kabul as a way to save money. Well, we shouldn't have bothered. It was dirty, smelly and oh so scary! We checked in and left our bags in the room (shared with another 6 people), went to walk around and once we came back to the room, our bags were gone. We went downstairs and turned out that someone brought our bags to the reception. Why? Don't know, but we went back to the room with our bags and some crazy old man that we were sharing the room with started screaming at us. Went back down to reception in an attempt to be moved to another room...nope! Tried to get our money back...nope! So we just took a train to the airport and got one of the hotel rooms there for a little more money but at least we had the knowledge that we were safe!

• Stayed June 2006, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

If you are in Amsterdam to see the seedy sights, location wise it's hard to beat the Kabul.

This place was actually about average on the cleanliness scale for a hostel. The carpets are stained, and it's a bit dingy, but it is located dead center in the Red Light, so I wasn't expecting posh accommodations. The bathrooms were sanitary and serviceable, and while the blankets and sheets were worn they had been washed recently. I've honestly stayed in much, much filthier hostels and you have a decent view of the canals in the room we stayed in, which was one of the large 8 bed rooms.

My real problem was with the staff. We stayed here 5 days, and on the morning of the second day we were out the door pretty early. In the lobby, one of the clerks and an Italian woman (looked to be a teenager) were screaming and fighting with each other. I have no idea what they were fighting about, but the clerk kicked this woman in the chest and sent her sprawling onto the ground where she could hardly breathe. I'm sure being a hotel clerk in this part of Amsterdam can be trying, but I've never seen anyone just make the jump from an argument to physical violence in a business setting like that. It definitely scared us, and had we not foolishly paid in advance, we would have left and found somewhere else to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Violent staff.
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Wrocław
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

When I arrived with my friend to this [--] hostel 2 girls from Argentina were accommodated. they were very friendly and very helpful and that will be all good thinks with this hostel. Hostel is DIRTY(dirty sheets, no closets,), STINKY, and expensive I pay 25 euro for one night (thank goodness it was only one night!!) in the 16 Bed Dorm. I you got choise go somewhere else !!! I RECOMMEND "SHELTER HOSTEL" (clean, good breakfast, friendly staff) very nice hostel near red district. www.shelter.nl.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oxford UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

To be blunt, Hotel Kabul is not bad and not brilliant. If you want all mod cons and cant even leave the house without holding your mums hand then forget about it. On the other side, if you and a few mates want a cheap stay in Amsterdam, positioned smack bang where the action is, and are willing to take refuge in slightly shabby accomodation then this place comes recommended. Staff were friendly enough which is always a good thing. I stayed in a room in a party of 5, we had a locker and a radiator, a big window but it didn't open very far, two bunks and a single. Don't expect much in terms of cleanliness but as I said if you want a cheap getaway you cant expect too much. Shared toliet and washin facilities but we did have a small sink in the room.

Phil Blunt - Oxford, UK

• Liked — Located in the centre of Amsterdam and reasonably cheap.
  • Disliked — Lets just say the interior of the rooms wasnt top notch.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't take advice about accomodation from touts in the street, research beforehand.
  • Stayed September 2002, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Here
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2006

Nice and cheap. A very nice room, and the coffee is like liquid speed. cant beat it!

Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

I just returned today from Amsterdan. I agree 100% with the comments above and still have one cherry to put on the top of all that: my digital camera and mp3 player which were inside my bag which was inside the lockers was stolen by one of my roomates. It is not a big surprise something like that happening considering that a considerable amount of junkies are among the clients.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to Young Budget Hotel Kabul? Share your experiences!