“OK Physically, Insane Staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Young Budget Hotel Kabul

Young Budget Hotel Kabul
We can't find prices for this hotel
Young Budget Hotel Kabul
Save Saved
You added Young Budget Hotel Kabul to your Saves list
Warmoesstraat 38-42 | Old Centre: Red Light District, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #336 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Brooklyn, New York
“OK Physically, Insane Staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2008

If you are in Amsterdam to see the seedy sights, location wise it's hard to beat the Kabul.

This place was actually about average on the cleanliness scale for a hostel. The carpets are stained, and it's a bit dingy, but it is located dead center in the Red Light, so I wasn't expecting posh accommodations. The bathrooms were sanitary and serviceable, and while the blankets and sheets were worn they had been washed recently. I've honestly stayed in much, much filthier hostels and you have a decent view of the canals in the room we stayed in, which was one of the large 8 bed rooms.

My real problem was with the staff. We stayed here 5 days, and on the morning of the second day we were out the door pretty early. In the lobby, one of the clerks and an Italian woman (looked to be a teenager) were screaming and fighting with each other. I have no idea what they were fighting about, but the clerk kicked this woman in the chest and sent her sprawling onto the ground where she could hardly breathe. I'm sure being a hotel clerk in this part of Amsterdam can be trying, but I've never seen anyone just make the jump from an argument to physical violence in a business setting like that. It definitely scared us, and had we not foolishly paid in advance, we would have left and found somewhere else to stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Violent staff.
  • Stayed August 2003, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Wrocław
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2008

When I arrived with my friend to this [--] hostel 2 girls from Argentina were accommodated. they were very friendly and very helpful and that will be all good thinks with this hostel. Hostel is DIRTY(dirty sheets, no closets,), STINKY, and expensive I pay 25 euro for one night (thank goodness it was only one night!!) in the 16 Bed Dorm. I you got choise go somewhere else !!! I RECOMMEND "SHELTER HOSTEL" (clean, good breakfast, friendly staff) very nice hostel near red district. www.shelter.nl.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oxford UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

To be blunt, Hotel Kabul is not bad and not brilliant. If you want all mod cons and cant even leave the house without holding your mums hand then forget about it. On the other side, if you and a few mates want a cheap stay in Amsterdam, positioned smack bang where the action is, and are willing to take refuge in slightly shabby accomodation then this place comes recommended. Staff were friendly enough which is always a good thing. I stayed in a room in a party of 5, we had a locker and a radiator, a big window but it didn't open very far, two bunks and a single. Don't expect much in terms of cleanliness but as I said if you want a cheap getaway you cant expect too much. Shared toliet and washin facilities but we did have a small sink in the room.

Phil Blunt - Oxford, UK

• Liked — Located in the centre of Amsterdam and reasonably cheap.
  • Disliked — Lets just say the interior of the rooms wasnt top notch.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't take advice about accomodation from touts in the street, research beforehand.
  • Stayed September 2002, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Here
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2006

Nice and cheap. A very nice room, and the coffee is like liquid speed. cant beat it!

Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2005

I just returned today from Amsterdan. I agree 100% with the comments above and still have one cherry to put on the top of all that: my digital camera and mp3 player which were inside my bag which was inside the lockers was stolen by one of my roomates. It is not a big surprise something like that happening considering that a considerable amount of junkies are among the clients.

• Stayed September 2005
penzance
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

Come on,you get what you pay for.I've stayed here numerous times and although the place may not be the ritz,it's an adventure in it's own right! It's location is good for the cafes and if the red light is just around the corner if you fancy a shag!Unless the place collapses into the canal(which is probable)I shall be returning.JW

• Stayed February 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

I spent a week in Poland in what I felt was an excellent hostel. I came to Kabul in Amsterdam expecting the same but boy was I suprised. It stank, the staff weren't friendly and there were strange insects around. But my roommates were cool and we were allowed to smoke bongs in our room and drink beer. It's so close as well to all the nightlife and the train station. If you want a clean room with excellent service then don't go there. But if you pick up gear from a coffee shop and want to smoke it in your room then go to Kabul. Well dodgy place, but I liked my roommates, especially a Finnish guy & Japanese guy who liked their smoke. A good night. You wouln't be able to do that in another Dam hostel. But watch out for the bugs. Well skanking.

Stayed July 2005

Been to Young Budget Hotel Kabul? Share your experiences!