“Great place. Awesome location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Meeting Point Youth Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Prices are for rooms, adults
Meeting Point Youth Hostel
Save Saved
You added Meeting Point Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Warmoesstraat 14, 1012 JD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #76 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Great place. Awesome location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I've just got back from a 4 night stay in Amsterdam with fifteen friends from back in secondary school. Since we booked in such a large group we ended up with an entire large dormitory (room 5) to ourselves so my experience there was different from most probably different from most peoples experience.

I found this hostel to be pretty safe, to get into the hostel you need to show the person working on the front desk a pass, they'll buzz you into the hostel and they will then give you the key to the room which you hand back on the way out. In the dorms they are these metal barrels that you can rent to lock all of your stuff in so I don't see how security in the hostel is any issue unless you leave your stuff lying about.

As a rough estimate I would say about half of the people staying there are english so needless to say the staff all speak fairly decent english and you. I found everyone staying in the hostel to be really friendly and up for a bit of small talk.

There is a smoking room at the back of the bar which has a lovely view overlooking the canal. It's worth noting that after 1:00 am the smoking room closes and you are allowed to smoke in the bar, as a result when you come down on a morning the bar smells a bit like a 'coffee shop' (speaking of which there is a brilliant place called 'Hunter's' a few doors down) so if you are particularly offended by smoking I recommend you don't stay in the bar to late.

Im 100% sure that I'm going to visit Amsterdam again and this place is going to be where I stay when I visit. Cheap Beer, friendly company and comfy beds ---- CAN'T ARGUE WITH THAT

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Big dorm but with no electricity supply
we can only share the plugs in the pub below the dorm
we can not sleep because our phone were charging!
However, good location and clean bathroom.
Mainly, for backpackers and male.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Gaithersburg, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hostel is right outside the Red Light district, which is a lot of fun, and has a good bar downstairs. However, the rooms have no wi-fi and no outlets for charging cameras and other devices, so make sure you plan time to hang out in the downstairs area for a while to charge your things. The rooms were a little dated and not terribly clean, but it was a fine place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

Myself and 2 friends stayed here on Easter weekend. The hostel was very close to central station and on the outskirts of the red light district making everything within a short walking distance. The hostel itself was very basic but that's what should be expected for the price you pay. The rooms were clean and we met a load of great people there from all across the world. The bar was cheaper than any other place we went to and the wifi and toilet facilities were spot on. Perfect place for the traveller especially if wanting to meet new people

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

The staff Is very friendly and they usually try to help you although the hostel does not offer many facilities. I've been there in January and the room was vero cold. Pillow and duvet pretty old and the bad was not very comfortable. Common places were ok, with free wifi and gender separately toilets and showers. There are no plug in bedrooms and I cold charge the phone only in the bar downstair. However bar prices were the lowest of the city.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and although I enjoyed being in the centre of the red light district, i did not enjoy my stay at the hostel.

Its run by private owners, none of which seem to be backpackers or have have much hostel experiance.

There are no locks on any of the rooms, so you have to keep everything in a locker for a chance at it being safe.
The bar/common room and bathrooms are the only places that have plug outlets which is very annoying!
The drinks at the bar are normal amsterdam prices, and the breakfast uou buy is too basic and my boiled egg was green and rotten!!
I would advise trying your luck at another Hostel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The first time I went to Amsterdam (2008), I didn't book a hotel/hostel before I left. I thought I would just wing it, and pick something when I got there. As soon as I got off at Central Station, I was already tired of dragging my bags around, so I thought I better make my decision quick. After about a 5 min walk, I stumbled upon this hostel. I thought it looked decent enough on the outside, and I really just wanted somewhere to drop my bags, so I could start exploring the city. I walked inside, and saw there were 8 bed dorms, or 18 bed dorms. I really couldn't imagine sharing a room with 18 people, so I immediately jumped at the 8 bed dorm option. I found the rate for the room cheap, even on weekends. I also didn't mind that you have to deposit 10 euro for a key to the locker in your room, as you get it back when you leave. I paid for my room, and they buzzed me in from the lobby through a secure door to the rest of the hostel. The door is locked 24/7, and only opened for people that show proof they are staying at the hostel. That made me feel a little more secure about staying at a hostel for the first time. Unless your on the first floor, the walk up to your room is good exercise to the say the least. I also didn't mind that, as I didn't plan on staying in my room too much. The lockers are a fair size, and I had no problem fitting my travel bag inside. The bedroom was clean, and the cots and bunk bed were basic. There is a shared bathroom on each floor, with two sinks, two showers, and two stalls with toilets. One for women, and a separate one for men. They clean the bathrooms twice daily. Downstairs they have a 24 hour open bar, which I found handy if I couldn't get to sleep. There always seems to be people down there at anytime of they day or night. They have a pool table, 2 computers, 2 flat screens, and a smoking room. The hostel also has a kitchen. They will make you breakfast, and also have a few snack items to choose from such as toasties (grilled cheese) hamburger, or a hotdog. I have returned to this hostel 3 times since the original stay in 2008. The most recent being this month of April 2014. Still has it's charm, and I still wouldn't stay anywhere else in Amsterdam. I brought my friends along this time, all of whom were worried about staying at a hostel for the first time. They all loved it as much as I do. Its such a friendly atmosphere and the location is within walking distance to anywhere you would really want to go in Amsterdam. I highly recommend it, and I miss being there already. Watch for the older guy that works there playing backgammon in the smoking room from around 9pm-1am. Its interesting, and made me want to learn how to play! STAY AT THIS HOSTEL!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Meeting Point Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!