“No atmosphere, no effort made for the backbacker.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Meeting Point Youth Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Meeting Point Youth Hostel
Save Saved
You added Meeting Point Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Warmoesstraat 14, 1012 JD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #76 of 177 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“No atmosphere, no effort made for the backbacker.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights and although I enjoyed being in the centre of the red light district, i did not enjoy my stay at the hostel.

Its run by private owners, none of which seem to be backpackers or have have much hostel experiance.

There are no locks on any of the rooms, so you have to keep everything in a locker for a chance at it being safe.
The bar/common room and bathrooms are the only places that have plug outlets which is very annoying!
The drinks at the bar are normal amsterdam prices, and the breakfast uou buy is too basic and my boiled egg was green and rotten!!
I would advise trying your luck at another Hostel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

The first time I went to Amsterdam (2008), I didn't book a hotel/hostel before I left. I thought I would just wing it, and pick something when I got there. As soon as I got off at Central Station, I was already tired of dragging my bags around, so I thought I better make my decision quick. After about a 5 min walk, I stumbled upon this hostel. I thought it looked decent enough on the outside, and I really just wanted somewhere to drop my bags, so I could start exploring the city. I walked inside, and saw there were 8 bed dorms, or 18 bed dorms. I really couldn't imagine sharing a room with 18 people, so I immediately jumped at the 8 bed dorm option. I found the rate for the room cheap, even on weekends. I also didn't mind that you have to deposit 10 euro for a key to the locker in your room, as you get it back when you leave. I paid for my room, and they buzzed me in from the lobby through a secure door to the rest of the hostel. The door is locked 24/7, and only opened for people that show proof they are staying at the hostel. That made me feel a little more secure about staying at a hostel for the first time. Unless your on the first floor, the walk up to your room is good exercise to the say the least. I also didn't mind that, as I didn't plan on staying in my room too much. The lockers are a fair size, and I had no problem fitting my travel bag inside. The bedroom was clean, and the cots and bunk bed were basic. There is a shared bathroom on each floor, with two sinks, two showers, and two stalls with toilets. One for women, and a separate one for men. They clean the bathrooms twice daily. Downstairs they have a 24 hour open bar, which I found handy if I couldn't get to sleep. There always seems to be people down there at anytime of they day or night. They have a pool table, 2 computers, 2 flat screens, and a smoking room. The hostel also has a kitchen. They will make you breakfast, and also have a few snack items to choose from such as toasties (grilled cheese) hamburger, or a hotdog. I have returned to this hostel 3 times since the original stay in 2008. The most recent being this month of April 2014. Still has it's charm, and I still wouldn't stay anywhere else in Amsterdam. I brought my friends along this time, all of whom were worried about staying at a hostel for the first time. They all loved it as much as I do. Its such a friendly atmosphere and the location is within walking distance to anywhere you would really want to go in Amsterdam. I highly recommend it, and I miss being there already. Watch for the older guy that works there playing backgammon in the smoking room from around 9pm-1am. Its interesting, and made me want to learn how to play! STAY AT THIS HOSTEL!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We arrived Sunday afternoon very quick and easy check in, we were on the 4th floor which is a bit of a nightmare but we all managed! There were 9 of us girls staying in an 18 bed dorm, no problems with noise or anything. Big barrels which kept your valuables safe. In such an amazing location and it felt safe no problems sleeping. Great bar and staff! Bathrooms very clean could not fault it! Overall amazing trip and would definitely recommend this hostel to others!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

location ok, staffs ok, but room... it feels like some kind of mental hospital with 18ppl. i know the atmosphere in Amsterdam, but hostel have to be more neat and clean. bathroom is messy. i met some great friends in Amsterdam, but this hostel.. not really recommended if you're not really budget.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

When planning our trip, we chose Meeting Point purely based on its location, expecting the place itself to be nothing more than somewhere to sleep. After our trip, we all agreed that Meeting Point will be our hostel when we visit again. We arrived slightly earlier than check in so went to the bar for a booze while we waited for our room to free up. The room was perfect, comfy beds, showers and bathroom etc just down the hall. The staff were helpful and polite, and one of them looked like he was constantly acting in a comedy. After a long day soaking in what Amsterdam had to offer, the meeting point was a brilliant place to end the night with a steady supply of booze and a smoke before bed. Meeting Point has a special place in all our hearts and WILL be stayed at again. Dorian.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

We stayed at the Meeting Point Hostel while travelling through Amsterdam with friends. This place is a standard Hostel, what you would expect for cheap accommodations. It is what it is, a Hostel. There is a choice of dorm size, we stayed in an 18 bed dorm and it was a large room with a bunch of bunk beds! They have a bar area downstairs where you can get drinks, have a smoke or pick up breakfast in the am (1 boiled egg and toast).

All in all, the location is great, super close Centraal Station and the square, banks, shopping, etc.

I should add, I left my camera in the dorm room and took a train to Paris. I arrived back a week later and they had it waiting for me at the front desk. Pretty impressive!

If you're looking for cheap accommodations in a central location, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

Great location in the heart of the action and was really good value for money compared to some of the other hostels in the area. Friendly staff and a clean dorms made it an enjoyable stay. Would stay here again next time

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Meeting Point Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!