“Tiny Rooms, Not excellent service, but great value and location!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of King Hotel

You added King Hotel to your Saves list
King Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Leidsekade 85-86 | just off of the famous Leidseplein, 1017 PN Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #252 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
nyc
“Tiny Rooms, Not excellent service, but great value and location!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is not a luxury hotel, with small rooms, VERY steep stairs, and narrow hallways. That said, it is a serviceable basic place which is more than worth the money for the location alone. It's right off the Leidesplein, and minutes away from many of the sights you'd want to see in the city.
Cleanliness was fine, though my room was a bit dated, and the bathroom could have used an update. Still, it was a last minute booking for a quick overnight stay after flying into Amsterdam, and was an excellent value.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Turkish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I booked a twin room at the Quentin hotel based on the photos of the hotel and facilities offered. I did think the rooms in the photos were a bit small and basic, but for the price, in the middle of Amsterdam, it looked ok.
When we arrived the staff seemed disinterested and slightly annoyed .. with everybody. This is probably because they had to tell many people who arrived that they were actually not going to be accommodated in the Quentin, but had to walk around the corner to a nondescript entry into another "hotel" The King hotel with dismal narrow corridors, really steep stairs and small airless rooms. No staff, No safety notices etc.
Not only did the receptionist casually tell us we weren't staying at the hotel we booked, but he insisted on taking full payment in advance.
The twin room we were sent to was much smaller than the one we thought we had booked in the Quentin, with "very" basic amenities. There were only two small towels in a very small bathroom, with a tiny sink, toilet, and grubby shower, all of which could all be touched at the same time whilst standing at the sink.
I did make a point of telling the staff at reception in the Quentin that I was not happy with being given alternative accommodation with no explanation. I told them that I was not happy with the accommodation, and I asked if there was a discount for the move to the lower standard alternative accommodation.
My comments and questions were met with a disinterested, tired, "That is the way it is. Take it or leave it" kind of attitude.
I seriously thought that many of the reviewers of this hotel on this site were exaggerating, or being too picky, about what is basically a 3 star central hotel in a major European capital city, but I would now have to say I agree with most of their negative comments. I could go on, but I suggest that you read and seriously consider the views and comments made by myself and the many other reviews who rate this hotel as "terrible"

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Rhodes, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I booked into the King Hotel for a week in February 2014 and were not disappointed! We are 21 and 24 years old and just wanted something clean, cheap and central which is exactly what we got. The rooms had everything you needed, private bathroom, tea and coffee making facilities, comfy beds, wardrobe space and we were lucky enough to get a room with a small balcony looking down on the canal. The best thing about King Hotel was the location. It was in Leidseplein so within a 30 second walk we were in the bustling square with so many options of places to eat, drink, get coffee etc and it also had a tram stop so when we wanted to venture out for the day or night, we just hopped on a tram costing next to nothing and within 5 minutes we were there. I would highly recommend the BullDog in Leidseplein also, with its coffee shop downstairs and bar/club upstairs which plays decent music, great choice of drinks and also has live music a couple of nights a week. It was normally the place we ended up in on a night out! All in all if you're looking for a place to stay in easy reach of all the tourist attractions, with a great choice of bars, restaurants and cafes on your doorstep and are on a budget, the King Hotel is the place to book! Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The hotel is good, a friendly staff and good value for money when som centra. But the beds were too small! I guess it would be ok for a couple, but for two friends it just is too "intimate". The room was spacious enough to put in a somewhat bigger bed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

North Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Booked this hotel as part of a KLM flight hotel special offer. Was worried about prior stories here of building work which seem to be largely complete and were no disturbance (stayed 4 nights starting Wednesday).
My single room was small and would have been jammed if a 2nd single bed was present (but it was not) Room clean, bed very comfortable and bathroom neat and new with powerful hot shower.
Very convenient to Leidsplein (excellent choice of restaurants good night life) about 150 yards away without spillover noise and less that 10 mins walk to Museum quarter.
From Central station night time taxi cost 12.50 euro. Canal boats close by as well as on Hop on Hop off stop.
Breakfast choice simple continental- no quibbles. It is served at nearby Quentin Hotel
To me its was a trade off on costs for a room to sleep, convenience for sightseeing. Very happy with my choice
And yes you check in at the Quentin which is 25 yards to the right along the street.
You might consider using the lift which should run from ground floor but was only running from 1st floor when I tried (i did not see it on arriving). Stairs; narrow steep.
Service at check in and out was fast and good; no problems- nothing exceptional

Room Tip: My internal facing room (#312) was good with large window for fresh air. Would suggest considering f...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Room was a comfortable size, very clean and shower was great(even had dispensable shower gel/shampoo/conditioner inside the shower!) Although there was some building work going on downstairs, our room was on the 4th floor so it wasn't too much of a problem for us, however I do think the hotel owners should of warned all their guests in advance. Our TV was on the edge of falling off the wall, but it held out and there was a selection of English channels which was a pleasant surprise. When we arrived we were told we had to put down a €20 deposit for the room key card, which we had not been made aware of. Breakfast was what you'd expect from continental; cereal, bread, ham, cheese, boiled eggs, delicious yoghurts and a choice of drinks. Staff were helpful and friendly and hotel is in a great location for trams etc. Overall the hotel was very good value, better than I expected! Reading some of the reviews on here before going I was apprehensive but we had a great stay and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: If you want a double room, make sure you request one in your reservation as you may end up with a tw...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I don't think this hotel is worthy of three stars, two at best, the rooms are very small and basic. Very annoyed to find we are sharing the place with a set of smelly builders. The smell of stale sweat fills the hotel and not in a pleasant way either. They are banging and crashing all day and as late as seven pm whilst they modernise the ground floor. It might have been nice if the hotel had warned us of upcoming building works when booking.

The single bed is so narrow I have to be careful when turning over or I will fall out.

The first night at 5am I had to call reception as people in the room opposite were being idiots and keeping us all awake. Fair play to the night porter who did sort out the problem though.

You have to pay extra to use the safe in your room. The towels are tiny and you only get one.

Good points: There seems to be a never ending supply of hot water, well located for town, canal side location; however I can’t see it from my room. The breakfast, such as it is, is free at least.

Beware though some of the staff are grumpier than I am ;)

Room Tip: Room 3 is very small and has no view. This is not a quiet hotel at night because of drunk guests goi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to King Hotel? Share your experiences!