“Exceeded expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Wilhelmina

Booking.com Orbitz.com
Hotel Wilhelmina
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Koninginneweg 169 | Museum Quarter, Amsterdam 1075 CN, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)   |
Ranked #156 of 297 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Was expecting a budget hotel when visited with a friend in mid July. The hotel was easy to find, the staff were friendly and the location was brilliant (if you want to take a break from the centre). Just a 20 second walk from the Valerusplein tram stop. The best thing about the hotel was the beds, total comfort from as soon as you lie down!! The shower/wet room in our room was also very modern and practical, far nicer than the bathrooms i've been faced with in similar trips to Europe with friends!!

Would definitely stay here again,and recommend it highly to anyone visiting the city!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

After a pleasure trip to Amsterdam in March, I have returned to Amsterdam for a Graphic Artists’ conference. I was recommended the Wilhelmina Hotel by its sister hotel – the Atlas Hotel – after finding out that they were booked for my planned time in Amsterdam. Irrespective of which, the Wilhelmina hotel is, simply put, MARVELOUS! I am having an extremely enjoyable stay. The owner has provided me with the best service of any hotel I had ever stayed at. He is extremely friendly, conversational and most hospitable. Though I am here for work, he recommended a variety of fun evening-based activities for me to try, which nicely concluded my trip with a sense of work-life-balance. Moreover, the hotel is placed in the heart of the chic Oud Zuid! It was IDEALLY situated! It made getting around extremely easy and added an extra pleasure to my already wonderful trip. Thank you Wilhelmina Hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Having already spent two nights in their sister hotel, Wilhelmina Hotel, I had attained some expectations from King Hotel in regard to quality, service level and overall satisfaction given my excellent stay at Wilhelmina hotel! Sure enough, I was not disappointed! King Hotel is an excellent choice of hotel and would strongly recommend to any travellers visiting Amsterdam! Rooms were very tastefully decorated. I was fortunate to stay in a canal-facing room, which was really lovely, and in spite of the vibrant nature of the city-centre (the hotel is down the street from Leidseplein); I still got good nights’ rests. Just as at Wilhelmina, the staff was kind, helpful and cheerful. It was a lovely treat being greeted both mornings by their smiles! Strongly recommend!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Ansfelden, Austria
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I am a frequent traveler but never before did I encounter a mouse in my hotel room.
During the night I heard strange nouses when I switchen on the lights to look for the reason of the noises I saw a mouse sitting on the table in the middle of my food stuff! I was so shocked!!!
I did not expect a mouse in a middle class hotel room in middle europe! And the offer breakfast at the hotel. It can only be expected that there are mice too, where they keep the food stuff.
When I told the reception they where not surprised. I got another room ond another tourist got my room and the mouse. The next room was on the second floor and during heavy rain water leaked in through the ceiling!!
The walls are paper thin and you could easily follow a conversation in the next room.
The personal is very nice and helpful but that does not help with mice in a hotel room in central europe.One expects mice in a third world hovel but not in central europe in an expensive middle class hotel.
To book this hotel you have to pay in advance by credit card. I payed nearly 1000 Euro for 8 nights and thats simply shameless when you consider the mouse in the room and the leaking ceiling.I am not spoiled but I expect a certain sanitary standard which does not include mice.

Room Tip: dont stay there
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I searched diligently for several weeks, for a reputable, two-star hotel, in a good location, that also included breakfast, in Amsterdam.The only negative comments from previous guests, were about the bad coffee. I booked the hotel for my daughter and I - 4 nights.
Positives:
1. Friendly, cordial, helpful, efficient, English speaking staff
2. A TRUE two star, "budget," affordable, hotel
3. Clean rooms, comfortable beds and helpful housecleaning staff
4. Sufficient linens (except for washcloths - take your own)
5. Adequate, tasty, all you can eat breakfast, the coffee was good
6. Luggage storage available
7. Early check-in was allowed
8. PERFECT location - 20 minutes on the tram, to Central Station, and economical - 2.50 e.
Negatives:
1. Stairs - unbelievable - the adjacent, building to the 3rd floor had 50 + steps, that were narrow, twisted, tapered
2. Not all rooms are equal, - try them on for "size" like Goldilocks, or you will be unhappy - the "too small", front rooms that face the street, are "noisey"; cigarette smoke drifts up to your open, unscreened window, the "combo" bath, has a "sewer" smell, from the floor drain, and you bang your knees on furniture and suitcases. ( Varmints may visit you during the night too and share your snacks from the open window!)
* Just ask for room # 12 - 3rd floor, back of the building, nice size - comfortable bed, large bath, and Wi-Fi works!
* Getting to hotel from Schipol: Take the bus - the Terminal Info desk will give you great instructions - take your carry ons, and walk about 10 minutes when you get off the bus. Economical - get correct coins, about 2.50 e.
* Getting back to Schipol: Take tram #2 - 2.80 e. - get off at Central Station - and take the train - about 4.50 e.

Room Tip: Back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cupertino, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

An experience to Amsterdam was one I'd been looking forward to for a long time. However, everyone kept scaring me on how unfriendly or unhelpful the Dutch can be. Though a slight deterent, I still persevered as a traveller and went to Amsterdam. To my genuine good fortune, I came across Wilhelmina Hotel and saw my prejudices on Dutch service destroyed day by day. Such facilitating, helpful, kind-smiled and welcoming staff greeted me daily and genuinely tracked my trip. They kept up with my endeavours and advised me well on places and sights to see, and even a few local eats to venture down to. Really enjoyed the hotel. I booked with Wilhemina again for my second stay.

Room Tip: Streetside rooms have a pleasant "Amsterdam City Life" feel to them..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Wilhelmina? Share your experiences!