“Perfect place to stay for Amsterdam!” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Bulldog Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
The Bulldog Hotel
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 216-220, 1012 GJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #34 of 171 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Dublin, Ireland
“Perfect place to stay for Amsterdam!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2009

A friend of ours stayed here before and recommended it to us. We had a problem with another hotel (which we refused to stay at), and the staff at the Bulldog were able to accommodate us straight away with no hassle! The only apartment they had left was for 4 people (we were 5), they gave it to us for the normal price and when the manager heard about it, he personally dragged a mattress up to our room!
The apartment and the rest of the hotel were fantastically decorated (really funky), the bar / lounge were great for both chilling out and for heavier drinking-which ever you wanted. The staff were very friendly and helpfull, some of whom we are still in contact with!
The location is perfect, close to everything Amsterdam has to offer. It is situated in the red light district but is only at the edge and you wouldn't really notice it if you wanted it that way. There are apartments, and both private and shared dorm rooms. There are no children allowed in the Bulldog, for obvious reasons. Because of the smoking ban, cigarettes are not allowed to be smoked on the premises but everything else is!
When I go back to Amsterdam I WILL DEFFINATELY be staying here- I haven't stopped reccommending it to people sonce I got home.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Aussie in Italia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

I have mixed feelings about this hostel. It was actually quite expensive for a hostel. I stayed in one of those awful 18-20bed super dorms. Staff were ok, but nothing special. Laundry facilities were a bonus. Location was great in the heart of Amsterdam. Overall an average hostel.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2009

This place was spotlessly clean and a great place for myself and group of 12 friends to base ourselves for our three night stay.

We all stayed in a private dorm with a private bathroom with toilet and shower - and another separate private toilet. So there wasn't too much trouble in the mornings.

The bunk beds were comfortable and we all had enough space to spread out a bit . The breakfast were generous and included in the price we paid.

One word of warning - if you leave you bags in the left-luggage room give yourself extra time to get it back out again. When we went to pick up our bags there was a long queue of people already there - the room was tiny and crammed full of luggage. Bags were all over the place and we felt lucky to find our stuff in time. And don't leave anything fragile in there -- the bags are thrown all over the place.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2009

This place is top notch. Big rooms with big, good pressured showers and cool design, patio roof, inhouse laundry machines, vending machines in the lobby, a big chill room with bar, various board games and cable TV. Did I mention a cafe is less than 1 meter away just outside their front door?!?

PS: When we arrived in Amsterdam, my wife happened to drop our travel wallet with many important documents (SUCH AS OUR PASSPORTS) and a good amount of money inside. Needless to say, we had spent the first few hours in the Dam filling out police reports. By the time we arrived at the Bulldog, our patience and emotions were a little stretched, not to mention our wallets a little light. The staff were so understanding, even knocking off some money from the total so that we could get a sack next door...Long story short, we did get our wallet back, with EVERYTHING IN IT = MIRACLE!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2008

The Bulldog apartments are just down the road from the main hotel in the red light district. We paid 360 euros for two nights for what can only be described as spacious but basic accommodation. The area was fine but I can't say the same for the apartment we had (Apt E). It had clearly not been cleaned for some time – mould in the bathroom, cobwebs on the ceiling, badly stained carpet, filthy windows and curtains and stained sofa. There were two battered dining chairs but no dining table, just a coffee table which was also shabby and had loose legs. The front panel of the tv was missing as was the remote control, the dvd had a remote but no batteries and battery cover missing. The kitchen facilities were equally basic - the cupboard doors ill-fitting, only one mug, no tea towel, no basic welcome pack ((tea/coffee), shelves missing from the fridge door. The lamp in the bedroom did not work, the bed linen was jumble sale 'mix and match' quality and the fitted sheet was not clean. The website promises bathrobes and slippers but these were not provided. These are NOT luxury apartments as suggested on the Bulldog website, they are at best 2* accommodation.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Disliked — Unclean, everything old and shabby.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2008

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in Amsterdam, at the Bulldog hotel. Just to clarify, we stayed in the private rooms not the hostel dorms so won't be mentioning those. I would struggle to find fault with the accommodation provided, the rooms and bathrooms are extremely clean, there was no noticeable noise from the lounge and lobby or the other guests on our floor (1st floor), our room was right above the lounge where they play music til 1am, possibly later and I didn't hear a thing.

You are provided with clean sheets and towels, although these are not replaced daily as in other hotels, I don't consider it necessary anyway, you certainly don't do that at home! You get a hairdryer in the bathroom(though ours had been dodgily repaired with ducttape) but no soaps etc(bring those yourself). The bed is a good size, as is the room for Amsterdam, compared with the last "4* "place we stayed in, there's a spare bed which folds out under the tv so you can share with 3 people. Much better value for money all things considered, as long as you're not expecting a giant Ritzty suite with champagne. The location is perfect, you are right next to the red light district but not IN it if you don't want to be overwhelmed by it. 10 minute walk to the central station, probably 2 mins from Dam square with restaurants etc. We made the mistake of eating in the "Pizzeria Amsterdam" on Damstraat, I wouldn't bother(rubbish pasta and deaf waiter guy)

We chose this hotel for it's location and facilities. The guests only lounge was perfect for us, no need to go anywhere noisy and liked the fact that there were DVDs and board games as well as a full bar serving food and a vending machine for when the bar was closed. Liked the lift too, large enough for your suitcases too. As we arrived before the lazy check in time of 3pm, we left our luggage in the secure storage room so we could get some sightseeing in. Cable TV in the rooms is good with plenty of multi language channels, not a brilliant view out of the tiny window but hadn't imagined there to be one, I think the mural over each bed makes up for this!

I did not try the breakfast included in our price(was mysteriously tired), however, it was a standard continental served in the above mentioned lounge, during which no smoking is allowed. The staff were quite friendly and helpful with regards to tours etc. There is a 24 hour security guard and you have to use your pass to access the hotel, it is separate from the next door Bulldog coffee shop and is strictly for hotel guests. It felt really safe considering what lurks up the road! Better music than the next door Bulldog and a truly relaxing and safe atmosphere. If you have any cat allergies like I do, take your medication as they do have at least one cat roaming the lobby area.

Our in room safe did not work but as no one went in our room during our stay we were not too concerned and our passports were safe downstairs with the reception staff. I'm sure they would have fixed it, we just couldn't be bothered. My friend was staying in a twin room and when her toilet broke, they fixed that the same morning that she told them.

I would not recommend staying here if you are offended by or think you may be offended by people partaking in the alternative lifestyle choices that Amsterdam offers or if even the smell bothers you, although it's not in the rooms and you are restricted to public areas, it is prevalent in the lobby and lounge areas. To summarise, safe, nice rooms and bathroom for the money & most convenient location in all my visits to Amsterdam.

• Liked — Super clean, guest only lounge with excellent tunes.
  • Disliked — Broken safe, cats (sorry I'm allergic)
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

I usually travel alone, so I did the same for Amsterdam. I also made a point not to tell mum and dad at the airport that I was on my way to stay in Amsterdam's famous red light district (in case they stop me from boarding the plane).

Before I go on, I want to say a big THANK YOU to all the staff at The Bulldog who'd made my stay so enjoyable, especially, Lamie, Evona, Veronica and of course “my hero” who's into Wing-Chun martial arts and BLEACH anime… Thanks for throwing out that woman’s stuff strewn all over on my bed... *hug*

Anyway… Here goes… Oh and do check out my photos for a better idea of what I've written.

The Location
The walk from Centraal Station to Bulldog Hostel was OK on normal days BUT it can be a loooong way when you have a fat luggage in the cold drizzle at 7am in the morning… Apart from this… I simply loved the area. Affordable food + good shopping. In fact, I reckon the choice of F&B outlets in this area can make Leidseplein seem a little bit superfluous... but oh well, personal preference I guess. The area is also well served by trams to major museums like Van Gogh and Rijks.

The Reception
I couldn’t check in until 3pm but so I store my luggage in the room behind the front desk and went to have breakfast at the bar. Overall friendly service.

The Room
I stayed in the dorm room that comes with a bunk bed, security card and a full height cabinet to store my belongings. Its quite safe. Remember to bring your own pad-lock.

The Bar
Breakfast was a simple spread but it was filling and delicious (see my photos). The Bulldog’s thus far my favourite hostel breakfast and its free with my room charges. After a day out, the hotel bar is a nice place for drinks and music before hitting the sack (also see pictures).

The Coffeeshop
I’m sorry but I have nothing much to say about the coffeeshop as I don't smoke hash, so I avoided the place. However, from what I saw, its always quite happening, so do take a look if hash/weed is your thing.

Oh I must mention a small episode which I really appreciated help from the Bulldog staff…

I left for other European cities after a few day's stay in Amsterdam and returned on the last day of my vacation before I flew home to Singapore. When I got into my room, all wind-up after a crappy ICE train ride, I found someone else’s clothes in my bed...

Now I don’t mind exchanging beds with the person who took my bed by mistake, but I couldn’t tell which bed was in fact still empty because things were sort of strewn all over the room... So I asked the reception for help. They apologized profusely and changed my linens immediately. I also learned I was the only "stranger" in that room as the 7 of them belong to the same group. So the belongings of my “uninvited guest” were moved to a random bed and every access card to that room had to be disabled before they issued me a new card. They wanted the 7 women to complain when they get back so that they can figure out who’s belongings should go where. I must say I actually felt a bit bad for all the inconvenience caused. However, I wasn’t remotely sorry after I met them the next morning…

From their accent, they were 7 Malaysian-Chinese women in their 40s (ok best I can go is 38). That’s all cool but Really! There should be an age limit for squealing and acting girlish without looking revolting… I mean why was there a need to laugh and scream in the room early as sparrow-fart like a bunch of monkeys just to get showered and dressed for breakfast? Do ugly people really crave for attention? *shrug*

Anyway, I was glad I only had to stay 1 night with the 7 airheads, or it might’ve ruined my lovely memory of The Bulldog and Amsterdam! I'll be back!

Yvonne (Singapore)

• Liked — Location and staff service
  • Disliked — The 7 mad
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Bulldog Hotel? Share your experiences!