“Best kept Secret in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Bulldog Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
The Bulldog Hotel
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 216-220, 1012 GJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #34 of 171 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Best kept Secret in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

As with any city centre hostel I would imagine it could be hit or miss, depending on what you expect, about 5 years ago this was the best kept secret in Amsterdam, its clean, its always been friendly, and it was cheap.
But unfortunately as with all accommodation in Amsterdam this can be a little expensive especially for a hostel, the location is right in the city's red-light district and you do pay for location ! the whole area is always very busy.
Reception staff are great never had a problem, in general very helpful as are all the staff, Bar area is small but copes very well most of the time, booked into a dorm with my partner for a cheap couple of nights a few years ago, but unfortunately it was terrible, ( must be to old I think !) the room was ok but I think our expectations was too much, so we upgraded to a private room, which are big enough to do what you need, we have stayed on many occasions over the last 5 years and had a fantastic time every time we go back.

Room Tip: all room are reasonably good rooms, unfortunately requesting a quite room in a city centre hotel esp...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
RobertBulldog, Front Office Manager at The Bulldog Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Nothing is nicer for us than to hear you've come back 5 times!! We will be looking forward to your 6th! Make sure to mention it when you arrive :)

362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Turkish first
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Location is perfect and accomodation also, but I already travelled staying in hostels in more than 10 countries and I never experienced a bad service as the one I had today from the Reception.

I just arrived at the hostel yesterday and the bed that I was assigned was occupied by someone else. When I said to the Receptionist called "CAtherina", she was extremely rude saying that I should have told her before cause it will confuse housekeeping.

I work in hospitality and I already have worked in a hostel repection, and there are many ways to say something. AND THE WAY SHE TREATED ME, its not acceptable.

I am waiting for a feedback from management.

Thanks,
Rodrigo Casanova

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Our management would have been happy to speak with you in person if you were this unhappy and do our best to help you. I am informed that one of our other receptionists did speak with you to do their best to address your complaint and that you did not contact the management until after you had left the hotel and taken your unhappiness public.

To try and name and shame a particular individual on a public website seems very petty. Imagine if you were working , as you said you were, in hospitality, and you woke to find yourself being publicly ridiculed. Would you think the person who posted this about you was being fair? Would you not hope that they would address this with you personally or with the management in order to find a resolution that could have made your stay more enjoyable?

For us the worst part is, that you really liked the accommodation and the location and had this not occurred you would have been posting a lovely review for us. Having someone not enjoy their time with us is the worst thing we can think of.

I can only hope that you feel much better having done this and that you feel justice has been served. I wish there was more we could have done to address the issue while you were here.

We wish you all the best in your future travels.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed in this hostel for 2 nights. 3 girls in a 12 bed mixed dorms.
Reception staff were friendly and helpful.
Rooms themselves were very very average. Prison style bunk beds and lockers (though its a plus that the lockers were really big - bring your own pad lock)
Beds were okay - not the best nor the worst.
The room we stayed in had a shower and toilet in the room. The shower was pretty powerful (however bring flip flops).
There are 2 other toilets on the floor (floor 3 we stayed on) one for girls one for boys.
We were given little hotel passports to get in and out plus a room card. There was a security guard on the door 24/7 which made you feel safe.
Hostel location was good - right in the middle of the red light district. Plenty to see and do!
Walk further away from this area and the atmosphere totally changes - its beautiful .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

great hotel, great location. there is a bar/breakfast room that is fantastic to enjoy it all.

rooms are small, a little dark but this is the concept. very clean by the way.

we really enjoyed our stay and will go back in december

Room Tip: please keep in mind to choose private room with private bathroom if you do not want to make budget a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Runcorn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay, the bulldog is in a great location right in the centre of everything. I read the reviews from people saying the staff in the hotel are rude etc....I found the staff to be friendly, pleasant and helpful.
The room was clean and tidy so no complaints from us. We spent time in the bar and again were served by friendly staff. The bulldog coffeeshop a few doors down (turning right out of the hotel) was fab, great atmosphere and the milkshakes are the best I've ever tasted ......I've no complaints...great hotel..great staff....great holiday.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

I been to Amsterdam 4 times and going again 27th Sep. I stayed at bulldog last time and I will never stay anywhere else now that iv been there. Staff were great I think people mis understand the language barrier ( not insult, English very good but the way things are said maybe mis interpreted )

A few friends coming this time that never been before, I said only place to stay is bulldog.

Can't wait til I get there. Bring on the bulldog can't wait to be back....

Ewwwsshhh!!!

• Stayed October 2012
Gedera, HaMerkaz, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

good rooms for a medium price - can find much cheaper, good breakfast, weedy atmosphere in the lounge, great place for young people who wanna have some fun. staff was helpfull and nice but rules are a little bit strict

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
RobertBulldog, Front Office Manager at The Bulldog Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thanks for the review. Were happy that you had a good time. Its not that we're strict, but when you have hundreds of young people staying together in the redlight district in Amsterdam, a few house rules go a long way to making sure all of our guests are safe and happy!

Been to The Bulldog Hotel? Share your experiences!