“Good value for money” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added The Bulldog Hotel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
The Bulldog Hotel
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 216-220, 1012 GJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #29 of 174 Specialty lodging in Amsterdam
London, England, United Kingdom
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

3 of us stayed at the Bulldog hotel from the 4th of November till the 7th of November 2012. The hotel is basic, but clean. The staff at the reception were OKAY. Eating or smoking is not allowed in the rooms, and the lift is very slow. I think we paid about 40EUR per person per night. It's located at the begin. of the red lights district, and very close to the Dam square (about 5 minutes walk) and about 10 minutes away from the Central station, there are 2 Bulldog coffee shops, were smoking is allowed. I wouldn't stay there again just because I'm not into smoking etc... so I would rather stay at a different area in Amsterdam. The area seemed safe to me, but I was warned not to walk alone at nights. The bathroom was fine, they don't provide any soap, just towels. And there was hot water.

They also allow you to put your luggage in the storage room for free. Breakfast was included, I thought that the breakfast was good as you get tea, coffee, 2 kinds of juice, cereals, yogurts, cold meat cuts, cheese, butter, Jam, and 2 kinds of bread.

I would recommend this hotel if you're travelling with friends and you're looking for a cheap place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

381 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

3 of us stayed here for 2 nights. For the same price we could have stayed some where much cooler. Like St christopher inn has an awesome bar in it and the rooms have more character. At bulldog the coffe shop is up the street from the hostel so aside from having the same name they might as well be totally separate unassociated places. The lockers are the kind from high school tall and thin so fitting a large backpacker backpack is not really possible. It was clean enough and fine for resting your head just a little disappointed in the vibe.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I arrived very early having come from London on an overnight bus. At 7am I was hoping to put my luggage in storage as checkin is not until 3pm, to my surprise the staff offered me free breakfast and offer to check in to my room (free of charge) as the bed was made up and I could get some sleep. The location is great, around the corner from Dam Square which is starting point for tours, 5 min walk to Central Station (canal tours and Metro) and is in the Red Light District which is full of coffeeshops and bars. I was travelling on my own, and as a single female found the area very safe as the RLD has loads of people walking around. Plenty of food on your doorstep. Bar downstairs had great atmosphere, good music and was full during the evenings. Hostel rooms were clean, beds comfy, central heating, showers hot, staff very friendly. Great spot to stay if travelling solo and looking for a party vibe. If you are looking for someplace quiet this may not be for you, as my room had 9 beds (6 guys were travelling in a group), this was entertaining but may not be to everyones liking.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet nights sleep on a weekend this may not be the hostel for you. It is situated in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Without any doubt, Bulldog Hotel is the best hostel I´ve ever stay. There was my second stay and I´ll come back for sure. The staff and de location are amazing, but the best is the atmosphere. I recomended it!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

It was my boyfriends birthday so i decided a trip to Amsterdam for me, him and his 2 best friends would be a great suprise! having being reccommended the Bulldog as it being the best location we decided to book an apartment.

When we arrived it was a bit of a nightmare as we where on the 6am flight from luton and couldnt check in until 2oclock, but we wondered round and the hotel where nice enough to offer to take our bags in for us (which we didnt do)

When we went back to check in we had to walk about 100 metres down the road where our apartment was located to find that we where on the third floor, and amsterdam stair cases are very steep.. so we make it to the apartment and walk in to a lovely, modern and clean and extreamly cosy place to stay! the place was massive (we stayed in apartment E) it had a huge double bed with 2 quilts each and plenty of pillows, and in the front room the sofa could be pulled into a bed which the boys said was very comfortable.. and a flat screen television WITH A REMOTE CONTROL!! unheard of for normal hotels!

The bulldog Cafe Mac was located directly below us, so we ate there for breakfast most mornings, it is very nice food and very reasonable prices!

Amsterdam is my favourite place to go apart from New york city, and the Bulldog hotel made my experience that much better.. in fact we got back last Sunday (13th October 2012) and we have booked to go back on the 21st December this year already!

Very happy and would reccommend the apartments 100% especially for groups!!

Room Tip: well worth paying an extra £20 pppn to have an apartment!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Highly recommended! My favourite place in Amsterdam. Not good if you're on a city break with the misses, or if you're fussy about creature comforts, but if you want somewhere to use as a base while you indulge in all the pleasures of the flesh which this city offers then there is no better place! There's a lounge bar downstairs which is open till forever. Its clean and secure. Its dead central. There's cannabis, alcohol, food, bed and shower. All you need if you plan to be off your face the whole holiday. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, the price is very good for what you get. I just can't fault this place!

Room Tip: It's worth paying more for the deluxe room, the window is a great place to smoke!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Columbus, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the Bulldog for 3 nights in early September on the reccomendation of a friend. The location was easy to get to from the Central Station and we enjoyed our stay.. The convenience and atmosphere would have me come back even if the bed linens would not! normally we would probably stay in a "proper" hotel, but that would have taken the fun out of Amsterdam for us- So glad we stayed at the Bulldog! The hotel staff were friendly and easy to work with. Also the rooftop area was a nice bonus, the weather was wonderful and it was nice to get out of the bar area and breathe some fresh air!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Bulldog Hotel? Share your experiences!