“Ok for cheap budget trip” 3 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added The Bulldog Hotel to your Saves list
The Bulldog Hotel
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 216-220, 1012 GJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #25 of 175 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
england
“Ok for cheap budget trip”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Im used to staying in nice hotels, wasnt expecting much of this place but the hotel itself is not overley great. The rooms are very basic, clean but basic, I would question the decor though!
Reception staff are ok, bar staff are nice and pleasant. The food is good value for money compared to other places in Amsterdam. Good location.
Overall if you want a cheap place just to put your head down its fine.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Turkish first
Halifax, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed for the 8th year. Nice and clean, nice bar, close to everything. Not a cheap option anymore. Wacky staff and wacky stuff everywhere. Backbackers from all over the world oming and going but don't be intimidated, it's all one big family here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

its not great but its far better than some places ive stayed in.
its close to everything which helps and near the famous bull dog cafe . whoop
had a great nights sleep. Full on drink and other stuff.
visit amsterdam it rocks

Room Tip: Higher the better
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I found the staff here to be the most rude and unhelpful that I have ever encountered. Maybe, due the location in the red light district, they have to put up with some troublesome guests but there is absolutely no justification for treating all customers in the the sneering, condescending manner in which they do.
I've stayed in hostels all over the world and felt at home in the most basic of accommodations but the attitude of the staff here was the worst I have ever encountered.
To add insult to injury, we were charged an additional 25 euro per person on top of the price agreed at the time of booking as we were told that the room we had stayed in was larger than the one we had originally booked. Admittedly, there were a couple of spare beds put it was not our request to be put in this room, it was merely what we were given. Since they had held onto our passports, we were in no position to argue. To say that i felt conned would be a massive understatement. This was nothing short of the type of scam that you might expect in some far flung third world country and seriously dented my image of Amsterdam as a friendly city.
And to top it all, I ended up coming home with bites all over my body. I looked like a version of the elephant man. I t took me a few days after I got home before I put two and two together and came to the conclusion - that dump had BED BUGS!!!!!
Having stayed in this hostel, I was absolutely livid at how I was treated.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
jimbulldog, Manager at The Bulldog Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
I am are sorry to hear that you had a poor experience. However, I would like to clear a few things. Firstly, Our staff work very hard to treat all of our guests with kindness and respect. I apologize if you feel you were not treated properly. Secondly, The Bulldog Hotel always honours our booking confirmations. The price confirmed to you is the amount charged at arrival. You would only be charged more if you arrived with additional people.Thirdly, We ask for a photo Id as a key deposit for those that wish to have a key, you are not required to leave your passport with us, in fact we prefer you hang on to your passport! Finally, while it does not happen very often, we take accusations of bed bugs very seriously and these reports are investigated immediately by professionals and the reported room is closed off to guests.
I would be happy to discuss these matters with you and try to bring some resolution to your poor experience. Certainly this is not in keeping with our standards or with the experience our guests have at our Hostel. I urge you contact us at info@bulldoghotel.com with the details of your stay and we will be happy to address the issues you had with our hostel and do our best to make it right for you.

Regards,

Robert Jones
Reception Manager
Bulldog Hotel
Richfield, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a group of 7 that were meeting up in Amsterdam. 5 of us stayed in an apartment and 2 of us stayed in door rooms. The apartments were the perfect size and all 7 of us were able to chill in there. We had a whole floor of windows that opened to the canal below. You won't find a better location to hang out and people watch in all of Amsterdam.
The only thing I would point out is that this is a pot friendly hostel so if that bothers you, do not stay here. It is allowed in most of the hostel and is impossible to escape.

Room Tip: Get an apartment if you have 4-5 people. It might be a little more expensive, but is a great experie...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bordeaux, Aquitaine, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

My experience was second to none, the best staff I have never met, I was so tired for my long trip and they help me with my room, they let me check in 2 hrs in advance. The room w so clean, hotel ambience was incredible, loung bar until 3am, the breakfast included was nice, coffee shop just getting out and the location is just great, seriously you can as more. They are always ready to help you with addresses and tips.
This hotel is absolutely recommended, thanks again for the best weekend ever!!!

No tengo palabras para agradecer a este hotel por el trato recibido, mil y un gracias, espero volver pronto.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Delft, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

The hostel's location is excellent and I would likely stay here again. I liked that there was a restaurant bar downstairs where I could order a selection of food and beverages. The hostel was extremely clean and came with storage lockers for each guest in the bedrooms. Having a toilet, sink and shower for each bedroom was a great upside, however I did not like that the sinks do not come with handsoap for washing your hands after using the toilet.

One of the mornings I had the front desk crew come up to the bedroom and shake me awake at a very early hour, thinking that I needed to check out that day. I really didn't appreciate being abruptly awoken like that. A friend in another room also had this happen that same morning. When I advised the staff member that I wasn't checking out that day, he shrugged and left the room.

I found the hostel to be quite dark and had quite a bit of trouble meeting people.

Otherwise, I would consider staying at The Bulldog again on my next visit. I will be looking at my options.

Room Tip: Any room, but bring your own handsoap.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Bulldog Hotel? Share your experiences!