“Nice hotel in a very beatiful and quite position” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Linden Hotel

Save Saved
You added Linden Hotel to your Saves list
Linden Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lindengracht 251, 1015KH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Acacia Hotel) (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #172 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Florence, Italy
“Nice hotel in a very beatiful and quite position”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Linden Hotel is located in a very beautiful position, on a quite canal. The rooms are quite small, as well as the bathroom, but it is clean and not so expensive as the other hotels in Amsterdam.
The only thing I didn't like was the breakfast; you have to pay € 12 for n. 1 croissant with a sppon of marmelade and 1 slice of salami + 1 of cheede and 1 egg ( I don't like those kind of things for breakafst) and iIcouldn't choose from a buffet.
THAT'S WHY I SUGGEST TO SLEEP THERE BUT WITHOUT CHOOSING THE BREAKFAST INCLUDED ( THERE'S A BEAUTIFUL PLACE IN FRONT OF THE HOTEL ITSELF).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Metz, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

we booked this hotel by internet and we choiced this place to be in famous localisation of Jordaan. when we arrived, reception was perfect. The boss gives some advices to visiting Amsterdam City and about transports. We have two bedrooms : first for two adults and second one for familiy (2+2). It s true that bedrooms are small, but we are in Amsterdam ... Seriously, siez is not a real problem for few nights but bathrooms are not very larges. More important : bedding are perfect, there are no noise, we don't have cold.
Advice : if you booked breakfeast the day before, you pay less
In conclusion : I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

A late booking for a conference in a week when Amsterdam was busier than usual, this turned out to be a well-priced alternative to the gouging prices of hotels, which were running at over 300€ (compared to 124€) per night.

Quite a distance (15/20 mins walk) from Dam Square, Raadhuis and the Damrak, the hotel isn't easy to locate due to a cumbersome street numbering system if not arriving by taxi. Also it's an unusually narrow triangular shape; space is a premium from start to finish.

My allocated room was perfectly presented and spotless. However being on the ground floor, with a floor-to-ceiling shopfront style window, meant curtains had to be drawn for privacy. It also meant there was late night and early morning pedestrian and traffic noise.

The evening receptionist was very friendly but his daytime colleagues were a little less so although their level of service was no less courteous.

I booked breakfast for one day only and the prepared plate of pastries, cold meats, cheese and condiments (the breakfast area being tiny, there is clearly no room for a buffet) was generous and tasty; reasonable value at 10€ when pre-booked.

Good value but would I stay again? In similar circumstances, perhaps (you know what you can expect, and that's fair value) but on the whole it's a tad too far from the main drag.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location of this hotel was great. Slightly outside of the city centre, but only a 5-10 minute walk will get you back in the thick of it. The rooms are confortable, although a little noisy where we were. Wooden stairs go right past the rooms and you could hear people walking up and down. Complementary Pringles in the room were nice little treat though!

We chose not to have breakfast at the hotel, which was about 12 euros for continental, and instead we headed to the market right by the hotel, which had a delicious array of sweet and savoury snacks. Nutella waffle followed by a punnet of fresh strawberries for us both cost just under 10 euros! Delicious!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Here's the context for my review: the weekend I spent in Amsterdam, every other hotel I would consider (ie 3-star in good locations) was 900 Euros; the Linden was 600. Is it the best hotel I've ever stayed in? No. But I think it does a very good job at its pricepoint. Pros: 1) quiet, safe location on small streets very close to boutiques and restaurants (I am not the one to ask about bars or nightlife); friendly and helpful staff; 2) immaculately clean and bright; 3) comfortable bed; 4) good shower pressure; 5) good design and cheerful decor.
Mixed: 1) It's true the rooms are small, but the furniture is small, too, so it doesn't overwhelm the space available. I was traveling on my own, too; I do think you might find this room crowded if you were a very large person (small shower area) or if there are two of you. 2) It's also true that the bathroom is a wetroom, which is not for everybody. (I had been considering putting one in my own home and have now decided against it - useful opportunity!) What I found is that you have to plan a little bit - shower and then go out for breakfast/dinner, and the room will dry by the time you return. Again, more inconvenient when you are two. 3) Wifi mostly reliable and strong in my room, though one night it was a bit wobbly and it was clear they were laying on more channels. So, not foolproof - but pretty good.
Cons: 1) the only way the doors close and lock is if you - and more to the point, your neighbours - let them fall closed. I find that noise very irritating. 2) The building is not soundproof, though I didn't find it worse than other places I've stayed. Street noise will always travel right up a small street; on the other hand, some of that street noise is church bells, which I love.
Didn't have the breakfast.
Don't know what's up with the lift, but even the staff recommended I not use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the top - more stairs, but more quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Downham Market, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Hotel is located in a quiet street, 20 minutes walk from Dam Square. You can park outside the Hotel @ 4 euros an hour, or 36 euros for 24 hours. But there is no parking in this street Friday night because of the Saturday market. If you do park there you will be towed away!
If you arrive before the 2pm check in time, you can leave your luggage, but it is not a secure storage.
Our room was on the 5th floor - there is a 'coffin' type lift which goes up as far as the 4th floor. I couldn't use such a tiny lift, so had to walk up the 75 stairs. The staircase is mainly a 'helter skelter' type staircase and you have to be careful walking down. I actually fell down the stairs, there was no reaction from the Receptionist who clearly heard me scream and crash down the stairs. Customer care is not big in this Hotel. Generally the staff have a bit of an offhand attitude.
My fall down the stairs helped to loosen my seized back, which I got from trying to shuffle around thr very limited space given around the bed and avoid cracking my head on the sloping ceiling. We were only travelling with one hold all, but if two people were staying, with a suitcase each, you would have nowhere to stand 2 cases. The room was absolutely tiny.
Being a smoker, 150 stairs every time you want a cigarette is no joke, and I felt very conspicious having to stand in the street, rain and smoking don't mix either. :)
You cannot fault the cleanliness of the Hotel - it was beyond immaculate.
A breakfast of raisin bread and yoghurt @ 12 euros (10 euros if pre booked) didn't interest us.
Clients from the Hotel were going into the cafe next door to the Hotel - quick glance at their menu offered toasties and Belgium hot chocolate. There is a very good supermarket in the next street ( sells the best bread rolls ever) but only takes cash or maestro cards.
Would we stay there again? No.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

By far THE WORST hotel I've ever stayed in. I travel a lot, and when I say the worst, I really mean it.

The location - far away from the main attractions and the action-packed areas of the city. That still is not a huge problem as Amsterdam is relatively small. But the rooms in this hotel are so so tiny it's unbelievable. Our room had barely any room to move around. The entire room won't have been more than 5 square metre. The bathroom was terribly designed. If you lowered your face to wash it in the sink, you would definitely smash your forehead on the slab just above the sink which protruded out and covered half of the sink. The bathing area had the lever to turn the shower on on the side instead of being below the shower, so your body kept banging painfully into the lever when you were taking a shower. There was no partition/elevation/threshold so the entire bathroom flooded when one took a bath.

The lift was abysmal and you had to wait ages for it. By that time you grew so frustrated anyhow that you preferred to take the stairs even if it meant risking those tiny steep steps.

And the management? Oh don't even get me started. The cleaning staff broke my tablet (Nexus 7)!!! I had kept it in my luggage and I'm pretty sure they would have dumped my friend's heavier suitcase on top of mine, thereby cracking my tablet's screen and breaking the plastic reinforcements in my suitcase as well. I was absolutely furious and decided to take the matter up with the management. And instead of giving the customer the benefit of the doubt (Marketing 101 anyone?) , the manager decided to believe his housekeeping (who obviously would never admit to their mistake lest the damage be deducted from their wages). He said the best he could offer was a free breakfast. So hang on, not just am I paying through my nose for a terrible room in a terrible location, I'm also suffering a 300 Euros worth of monetary loss because of YOUR housekeeping's sloppy service. I was so mad at this hotel and how it spoilt my entire trip.

I really wonder how some hotels don't care a bit about their reputation and refuse to acknowledge genuine complaints from their clients. I agree there would have been no way for the manager to judge whether my complaint was true or not. So it was essentially my word against their cleaning staff's. And he chose his own staff over the customer. Shameful and disgusting. Very very disappointed. They have at least one customer who's never going to even consider them when visiting Amsterdam again.

Room Tip: DO NOT even think about this hotel. The attitude of the management, the horribly sized rooms and the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Linden Hotel? Share your experiences!