“Great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Linden Hotel

You added Linden Hotel to your Saves list
Linden Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lindengracht 251, 1015KH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Acacia Hotel) (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #148 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

The location of this hotel was great. Slightly outside of the city centre, but only a 5-10 minute walk will get you back in the thick of it. The rooms are confortable, although a little noisy where we were. Wooden stairs go right past the rooms and you could hear people walking up and down. Complementary Pringles in the room were nice little treat though!

We chose not to have breakfast at the hotel, which was about 12 euros for continental, and instead we headed to the market right by the hotel, which had a delicious array of sweet and savoury snacks. Nutella waffle followed by a punnet of fresh strawberries for us both cost just under 10 euros! Delicious!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Here's the context for my review: the weekend I spent in Amsterdam, every other hotel I would consider (ie 3-star in good locations) was 900 Euros; the Linden was 600. Is it the best hotel I've ever stayed in? No. But I think it does a very good job at its pricepoint. Pros: 1) quiet, safe location on small streets very close to boutiques and restaurants (I am not the one to ask about bars or nightlife); friendly and helpful staff; 2) immaculately clean and bright; 3) comfortable bed; 4) good shower pressure; 5) good design and cheerful decor.
Mixed: 1) It's true the rooms are small, but the furniture is small, too, so it doesn't overwhelm the space available. I was traveling on my own, too; I do think you might find this room crowded if you were a very large person (small shower area) or if there are two of you. 2) It's also true that the bathroom is a wetroom, which is not for everybody. (I had been considering putting one in my own home and have now decided against it - useful opportunity!) What I found is that you have to plan a little bit - shower and then go out for breakfast/dinner, and the room will dry by the time you return. Again, more inconvenient when you are two. 3) Wifi mostly reliable and strong in my room, though one night it was a bit wobbly and it was clear they were laying on more channels. So, not foolproof - but pretty good.
Cons: 1) the only way the doors close and lock is if you - and more to the point, your neighbours - let them fall closed. I find that noise very irritating. 2) The building is not soundproof, though I didn't find it worse than other places I've stayed. Street noise will always travel right up a small street; on the other hand, some of that street noise is church bells, which I love.
Didn't have the breakfast.
Don't know what's up with the lift, but even the staff recommended I not use it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the top - more stairs, but more quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Downham Market, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Hotel is located in a quiet street, 20 minutes walk from Dam Square. You can park outside the Hotel @ 4 euros an hour, or 36 euros for 24 hours. But there is no parking in this street Friday night because of the Saturday market. If you do park there you will be towed away!
If you arrive before the 2pm check in time, you can leave your luggage, but it is not a secure storage.
Our room was on the 5th floor - there is a 'coffin' type lift which goes up as far as the 4th floor. I couldn't use such a tiny lift, so had to walk up the 75 stairs. The staircase is mainly a 'helter skelter' type staircase and you have to be careful walking down. I actually fell down the stairs, there was no reaction from the Receptionist who clearly heard me scream and crash down the stairs. Customer care is not big in this Hotel. Generally the staff have a bit of an offhand attitude.
My fall down the stairs helped to loosen my seized back, which I got from trying to shuffle around thr very limited space given around the bed and avoid cracking my head on the sloping ceiling. We were only travelling with one hold all, but if two people were staying, with a suitcase each, you would have nowhere to stand 2 cases. The room was absolutely tiny.
Being a smoker, 150 stairs every time you want a cigarette is no joke, and I felt very conspicious having to stand in the street, rain and smoking don't mix either. :)
You cannot fault the cleanliness of the Hotel - it was beyond immaculate.
A breakfast of raisin bread and yoghurt @ 12 euros (10 euros if pre booked) didn't interest us.
Clients from the Hotel were going into the cafe next door to the Hotel - quick glance at their menu offered toasties and Belgium hot chocolate. There is a very good supermarket in the next street ( sells the best bread rolls ever) but only takes cash or maestro cards.
Would we stay there again? No.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

By far THE WORST hotel I've ever stayed in. I travel a lot, and when I say the worst, I really mean it.

The location - far away from the main attractions and the action-packed areas of the city. That still is not a huge problem as Amsterdam is relatively small. But the rooms in this hotel are so so tiny it's unbelievable. Our room had barely any room to move around. The entire room won't have been more than 5 square metre. The bathroom was terribly designed. If you lowered your face to wash it in the sink, you would definitely smash your forehead on the slab just above the sink which protruded out and covered half of the sink. The bathing area had the lever to turn the shower on on the side instead of being below the shower, so your body kept banging painfully into the lever when you were taking a shower. There was no partition/elevation/threshold so the entire bathroom flooded when one took a bath.

The lift was abysmal and you had to wait ages for it. By that time you grew so frustrated anyhow that you preferred to take the stairs even if it meant risking those tiny steep steps.

And the management? Oh don't even get me started. The cleaning staff broke my tablet (Nexus 7)!!! I had kept it in my luggage and I'm pretty sure they would have dumped my friend's heavier suitcase on top of mine, thereby cracking my tablet's screen and breaking the plastic reinforcements in my suitcase as well. I was absolutely furious and decided to take the matter up with the management. And instead of giving the customer the benefit of the doubt (Marketing 101 anyone?) , the manager decided to believe his housekeeping (who obviously would never admit to their mistake lest the damage be deducted from their wages). He said the best he could offer was a free breakfast. So hang on, not just am I paying through my nose for a terrible room in a terrible location, I'm also suffering a 300 Euros worth of monetary loss because of YOUR housekeeping's sloppy service. I was so mad at this hotel and how it spoilt my entire trip.

I really wonder how some hotels don't care a bit about their reputation and refuse to acknowledge genuine complaints from their clients. I agree there would have been no way for the manager to judge whether my complaint was true or not. So it was essentially my word against their cleaning staff's. And he chose his own staff over the customer. Shameful and disgusting. Very very disappointed. They have at least one customer who's never going to even consider them when visiting Amsterdam again.

Room Tip: DO NOT even think about this hotel. The attitude of the management, the horribly sized rooms and the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Muscat, Oman
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed for just one night in August and didn't have breakfast.
Room was not airconditioned. However weather was nice and I had a room right at the top. So I didn't have any issues with the heat (like some of the other reviewers)
Slowest lift that I have experienced. Not complaining since I had heavy baggage and the stairs are very steep.
Using the wash basin is more complicated than one in an aircraft in economy class. You won't be able to rinse and spit out. Washing your face will be impossible.
Staff were friendly.
It's a new hotel. Furniture is in good condition. The area is about a 15 minutes walk from the Central train station. Lovely location- central but quiet.
They serve breakfast but I preferred to sit out and enjoy the cafe just opposite the hotel where you can get eggs and bacon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Lets start fro beginning.....

Arrived into amsterdam, a short gentle stroll from station. Easy enough to find, checking in was easy and staff was friendly.

Our room was on the first floor, room 26. This is where it all started going downhill, upon entering the room the room was like a sauna even though the windows were open. We had a mosquito netting plus a pretty thick curtain, excellent for keeping out the light and prob excellent for keeping out the air blowing into the room.

Back to the sauna bit, all rooms im told doesnt have aircon, at first i thought it was the sun coming through the windows that was heating up the room. Well partially it was but mainly the heat was coming from the light bulbs. The lighting in the room from the ceiling and the headboard was producing alot of heat, so much that i dont think we dare turn it on.

If we had turned it on then that mean the room was turning into a sauna, we could open the windows and let some air blow in but then that mean drawing open the curtains...... then obviously it was so hot we more or less stripped naked but then anyone looking through the windows could look right in. Right outside the window war a barge, and blocks of flats across otherside.

So in end it was easier to not turn lights on, strip down and partially leave a bit the curtains open from the sides.

The other thing we noticed upon checking in was out toilet sink was blocked. The reception guy came up and unblocked it, after unscrewing and a bit of poking about. As he unscrewed the sink cap, we heard a whoosh sound...... all the blocked water went everyhere in the bathroom. About half hour later with a few clean towels he declared it was sorted.

The fan in the bathroom didnt work so if we showered all the heat and condensation went into the room when we opened the bathroom door.

The kettle didnt work on the first night..... we had to jiggle it about before it worked..... thats after we could smell a bit burning plastic smell.

The next morning, while i was brushing my teeth i noticed a major design fault. As i was brushing no matter how hard i tried i could help noticing the really big shelf, bery useful to store toiletries but not so great that i dribbled all over it while brushing. It was in the direct path just over the sink. I could have used a glass to rinse my mouth but i tend to just stick my head/mouth just under the tap...... this sure was a challenge i just managed to do it without getting my head lodged in between sink and shelf.

On the second night, when we came back and getting ready for bed...... i couldnt find theTV remote...... searched high and low for it. Probably searched half an hour for it....... we found it just before climbing into bed. The cleaners did a grand job cleaning...... in the morning we left the control on the bed. The cleaners made the bed and instead moving the control to bedside or whatever...... just laid the duvet over the control.

The bed was soft...... similiar ro a UK Premier Inn style.

After two nights stay the only plus point i can say is....... it has plenty plug sockets in the room. I think the Hotel was fairly new....... def in need of a few inprovements in minor details.

Room Tip: Get a hight up room..... try to avoid ground floor and first floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Travelling on a budget so I knew not to have my expectations too high. On the positive the hotel was centrally located, clean, staff was friendly and check in and check out was fine. On the negative was mainly the room. We took the cheapest but did not expect to be able to almost touch both walls almost with the span of my arms. One side of the bed was next to the wall itself not allowing an easy exit. It was hot and stuffy and the one window would only open a little. I asked for a fan and was pleasantly surprised to get one immediately. However it was he size of a small plate and it didn't help at all. The bathroom was modern but had the shower opening directly onto the toilet with no barrier. After a shower the floor was full of water. In hind sight I would not stay in the cheapest room here. Value for money is also an issue. I think we could do a lot better for the same amount of money.

Room Tip: Ask for a deluxe room if you can afford it.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Linden Hotel? Share your experiences!