“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Rembrandt to your Saves list
Hotel Rembrandt
Plantage Middenlaan 17, 1018 DA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #156 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

This hotel is in a great location within easy reach to all attractions, botanical gardens across the road and Artis Zoo just around the corner, five minute walk to Rembrandt Square or tram 9 & 14 stop outside hotel and take you to most tourist attractions including Dam Square & Anne Franks House. Clean basic room with double doors leading out to the garden, very quiet at night slept like a log. Very helpful, friendly staff. Would recommend this hotel and we will be back.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel, quiet and smoking allowed in garden area with this room.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
RembrandtAMS, Front Office Manager at Hotel Rembrandt, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is good to read that you appreciate the staff and that you were able to get to all the attractions that easy.
Looking forward to welcome you again.

Lynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here on the weekend of feb 21st and had a great time. Arrived early and were told our room was ready which was a bonus. Room was lovely comfy bed, nice shower and had no trouble sleeping. Reception staff were also really friendly and helpful. We had a great weekend and would recommend this hotel as good quality and value :)

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for writing such a nice review.

We hope to welcome you in our hotel again some time.

UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I'll start with the good, and move on to the bad.

As others have said, it's right next to the tram, so very convenient. There are also some nice cafes and restaurants in the immediate area (I can recommend Coffee to Walk just down the road for a lovely and cheap breakfast). Although I had booked a single room, I was offered a spacious double. My room had plenty of power sockets, and the bed was comfortable enough. Unlike other reviews, my bathroom was quite big. Perhaps other rooms have smaller bathrooms, or maybe I just have a different idea what 'small' is. The heating works well, the room would be warm within 10 minutes of me turning up the radiators.

The bad: Again, as others have said, the noise of the road outside is significant if you're in a front-facing room, which I was. In addition, you can hear people in other rooms through the walls and ceiling. If you're a light sleeper, bring earplugs or prepare for disturbed sleep. It's also quite a challenge dragging your suitcase up steep, narrow staircases to get to your room. The hotel as a whole looks rather 'worn', and is in need of improvement: old fixtures, peeling paint, and even small holes in the walls. I was able to borrow a (very basic) iron from reception, but not an ironing board, which left me attempting to iron my clothes on the bedside table - quite a challenge. While my room had a fridge, it was not plugged in, so I had to wait several hours before I could use it. I'm really not sure why they'd unplug it.

However, the biggest problem, which at least one other reviewer has noted: there was a terrible smell in the bathroom. It smelled like backed-up pipes. I stayed for 4 nights, and was told a plumber came to fix the problem on two separate days. I can't say whether or not the plumber came, but I can say the problem was certainly not fixed. If other guests have had this issue in the past, then it would seem to be an ongoing fault which the hotel isn't bothering to properly tackle.

After the first night I was offered a new room. However, having settled in, I thought I'd wait to see if there was improvement after the plumber visited. Unfortunately the day after that, I noticed the hotel was fully booked, so then couldn't move.

Overall, I felt the hotel was not worth the price: not just the bathroom issue, but the general upkeep. I think they should either lower their prices, or (and better in my opinion) spend some time redecorating and improving the rooms. As I was on a training course at the zoo, the location was perfect for me, but if I were to return, I would not choose to stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid 11. Good reasonable breakfasts can be found nearby at Coffee to Walk.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
RembrandtAMS, Front Office Manager at Hotel Rembrandt, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear Madam,

We thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are always trying to improve our hotel and give our guests a nice stay so all reviews are appreciated.

We’re glad to hear your positive findings like the heating, size of the room and bathroom and the location of our hotel.

We’re sorry you were unable to have a good night’s rest with the noise from the city, all our rooms on the front of the hotel have double glazing but we can’t block all the sounds .

When we offered you a different room after your first night ,you declined because you liked the big room. The plumber did come in that day and did everything he could do to fix it. The day after we asked again if you wanted to change rooms and if the smell had gone. You wished to stay. Only the last night you required to change rooms, unfortunately at that point we were fullybooked and it was not possible anymore

Since the plumber came by to fix it there hasn't been a bad smell in the bathroom. We are sorry to read you think we’re not bothering to tackle the problem, especially since we’ve had the plumber come over immediately and we’ve offered you a different room twice.

We always do our utmost to give our guests a great stay in our hotel and we are sincerely sorry we weren’t able to meet your wishes. Regardless we do hope you have enjoyed your stay in Amsterdam.

Hotel Rembrandt
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

I chose this hotel for a 2 day break with my daughter to celebrate her 21st. I wanted somewhere quirky and a bit different that would appeal to her. It didn't disappoint! Our room was lovey with The Nightwatch as a backdrop, even better I took her to see the real thing at the Rijksmuseum!
The staff were friendly and helpful and had thoughtfully put a bottle of wine in the room for us as a birthday treat. The tram stop right outside the hotel was so convenient for getting in and out of the centre. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel but the dining room looked beautiful. The only disappointment was not hearing the elephant from the zoo next door, however, when I opened the curtains on the first morning there were green parrots in the tree outside!!
Would stay here again without hesitation. Thank you

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review. We're glad you and your daughter have enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back in which case we will have a serious talk with the elephant:)

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

First of all, the location is fantastic near a tram stop with a local pub and a couple of cafes nearby. The reception doubling as a library is a pleasant surprise and the staff were really friendly. Our room backed onto a courtyard behind the hotel and we could access it the deck and outdoor furniture if we wanted to, but it wasn't quite warm enough. We opted for the hotel breakfast, which was good value and served in a dining hall next door that had old painted walls and ceilings that were clearly quite old, and a bit of a treat for someone from a very young country like New Zealand. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your nice review.

We hope to welcome you in our hotel again some time.

Lynn

Been to Hotel Rembrandt? Share your experiences!