“Friendly and Welcoming” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Rembrandt to your Saves list
Hotel Rembrandt
Plantage Middenlaan 17, 1018 DA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #160 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Broomfield, Colorado, United States
“Friendly and Welcoming”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Small, safe, secure hotel. Staff was warm, friendly, and spoke perfect English. After they locked the front door at night, the gentleman working the desk kept an eye out for approaching guests. He met me at the door to unlock it before I even rang. The room was cozy and clean. The walls are thin, but that is common for budget hotels in Europe. Still, the noise was not at all intolerable. The location is a little removed, but Amsterdam is small. I had an early morning departure. The staff made sure that I was aware of the flat (and somewhat pricey) fee for a cab to the airport. The overnight clerk set the alarm on his phone so he could be awake to keep me company while I waited for my cab. I have warm memories of Hotel Rembrandt.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
RembrandtAMS, Manager at Hotel Rembrandt, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your kind words.
Hoping to welcome you in our hotel again.

Lynn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I let my fella choose and book this hotel as he has loved staying here before. I am a bit of luxury lover and wanted something romantic, so I held my breath! Reviews here have been a little mixed, so I was apprehensive!

We stayed in room 2, which is accessed through a set back glass door behind reception, private and means no stairs to climb. Excellent for stumbling in worse for all the fruit beer. The room is a good size, two single beds pushed together (the only let down, but when in Dam, you can improvise!) and wooden floors. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was lovely. We managed to store our clothes and toiletries with plenty of space and the decor was simple but charming. Everything was clean, worked and was tidy. There were a couple of electrical points. The TV didn't work, but we didn't arrive to watch TV.

The room had patio doors out onto a wooden decking balcony, with two comfortable wooden seats, with cushions in the room to use and a table useful for standing a beer. The balcony backs onto the hotel garden, a walled garden with chairs and table, accessible from our room and the one below. The balcony had it's own outside light, meaning we could sit under the stars and relax. As the hotel has it's own cat which cannot be let out, and a neighbour has a very friendly cat which likes to get in, using the balcony often meant planning it around the cats.

The building is small and you don't get the fantastic history that comes with such architecture without hearing some footfall at night. Room 2 faces away from the street and backs onto gardens, which is quieter. While sleeping I would hear a guest running up some stairs, but nothing disruptive. I didn't find it was noisy, lacked privacy or that sleep was an issue.

It's ideally placed, with two or three trams running to Dam Square and Amsterdam Centraal on a very regular basis. The hotel is part of the shuttle bus to the airport, for about 16.50 euros you can book it to pick up and drop you at the airport terminal if using a tram with luggage is too much. Our shuttle driver was on time, courteous and very helpful.

It's not five star luxury, but then it wouldn't have authentic charm is it looked like every Radisson style 5 star hotel. What it might lack in hot tubs and pillow chocolate it makes up for in the little touches,. Staff were more than helpful, whether we stayed in bed and ordered food in or needed a cold drink whilst packing our cases again as we left, staff were attentive. I saw the same level of service extended to all guests I saw check in, even the poor gent who booked the other Hotel Rembrandt and needed to borrow Wi fi to find his way to the right hotel! What the staff could do for us, they did.

The hotel is not central. However it is within strolling distance of the Zoo, the Wertheimpark with the 1933 Auschwitz memorial, the theatre opposite where the Jewish people of the district were gathered for deportation, three great cafes, Die Pizzabakkers (like being in Italy, try it, Prosecco/vodka/limoncello/lemon sorbet cocktail was AMAZING) the Hortus Botanical Garden, the opera and ballet house, a local market, even if getting a tram into town is too much, we could have spent five days in a two mile radius and been happy. It's nice to be somewhere peaceful where you can live it up in the Red Light district cafes and then come back to some quiet.

Since this is trip advisor, I will be picky and say that I'd have liked two smaller pillows rather than a big square one. I'd also like to apologize for absent mindedly leaving my pants on the bathroom floor one day, resulting in an ever so graceful maid leaving them on my perfectly made bed with much dignity. I keep a messy hotel room! If you are allergic to cats, rethink the balcony option, the hotel cat is pleasantly placid and not at all over friendly. But the ginger cat next door likes to get close. There are stairs to enter the building and this is an old property over several floors, pack light if you are staying in a higher room!

Being on holiday = not having to think about the mundane and the Hotel Rembrandt allowed me five blissful days in comfort that way. It's not the Ritz, sure, but this is a very good hotel for this price bracket and good location. Rembrandt lived here, it was a dance hall, a house for single ladies, the history is fantastic and the beautiful hotel brochures only confirm that.

I was sad to go and as I sipped a cold drink (on the house) and tried to stash my last shopping in my case, I looked around the library at the walls of books and the ladder and thought what a great find this hotel is.

Thank you for an amazing stay.

Room Tip: Room 2 was amazing, a good couples room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam and Sir,

It was a real pleasure reading your review. I will pass on your kind words to the other staff and we hope to welcome the both of you in our hotel again some time.

Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

We had a great stay at the Hotel Rembrandt. The location is great, just outside the craziness of central old Amsterdam but still within an easy walk to most anything you want to see. There is a tram line on Plantage Middenlaan so there is no need for a taxi! Hotel is a little noisy from the street and adjacent rooms but is still comfortable. We had the top room (Jewish Bride painting theme) and it was very spacious and comfortable. Free Wifi was a nice touch. There was no lift to the top floor but please realize that you are staying in old Amsterdam and this is a tradeoff for staying in a classic building in such a great location! Complementary breakfast was very nice. Try the cafe smit & voogt located a block west, great place for a quiet beer and food. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Next trip to Amsterdam we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
RembrandtAMS, Manager at Hotel Rembrandt, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is Always nice to see our guests have enjoyed their stay with us.
Thank you very much for this review.

We hope to welcome you in our hotel again some time.

Edmonds, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

This hotel is in a great location- on a canal with trolley right in front and easy walking distance to many things, including Rembrandt square. The staff here is wonderful - friendly and helpful and will try to accommodate your needs. The breakfast room is large and inviting and breakfast is good: espresso machine for fresh coffee, pastries, cereals, fruit, eggs, yogurts, etc. They will even make you a to-go breakfast bag if you need to leave before breakfast hours. Rooms are large and airy- we had room 2 with a balcony which was wonderful and the resident cat Bink loved to spend time with us. Other rooms have large windows which open up onto the canal or overlooking the back garden. Baths are large enough and have good counter space, which is nice. Rooms have hot water pots for coffee and small refrigerators. I would return here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for this very nice review. I will make sure to pass your kind words on to the rest of the staff. Good to hear you've enjoyed spending time with Bink as well:)
To clarify for any future guests: Our hotel is located near a canal but unfortunately we haven't got rooms looking out onto the canal.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

It's clean, we had a great room at the top, the hotel has interesting philosophical quotes everywhere, does a very good breakfast, has a charming library, there's a lovely secluded garden, and very friendly staff and a nice location for a stroll down into town. We loved the hotel.

Room Tip: We had the room at the top - number 39. It was lovely; clean and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
RembrandtAMS, Front Office Manager at Hotel Rembrandt, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you very much for your nice review.

We hope to welcome you in our hotel again some time.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

Awesome location, literally 2mins from the zoo. Lots of pubs, cafes and restaurants near by, about a 20min walk to city centre.
We stayed in a standard double room, a bit pricey for what you get to be honest. Our room had a mouldy smell but we got used to it, it needed refurbished and wasn't overly clean, couldn't let our Son crawl about on the floor. The bathroom however was spotless!! Wifi didn't work in our room but works perfectly if you just nip up to the reception. Most of the tv channels were quite fuzzy but we didn't really care about that. The beds were really comfy and we got a good sleep every night, had the travel cot for our Son. Our room faced the back garden so had no noise at all from outside. Our room was on the bottom floor and with no double glazing the wee one got a bit cold one night, the radiator didn't work so my partner went to let the reception staff know, they gave us an electric heater to use straight away which was really good of them.
We didn't have breakfast, felt the 10 Euros per person per day on top of the room charge was a bit pricey, but we did have a nosey in the breakfast room which is gorgeous!!
The staff were all very friendly and helpful and were really sweet to our Baby Son, who LOVED 'Bink' the beautiful hotel cat. :)

We would stay here again due to location, child friendliness and the lovely staff, however we'd probably book the slightly more expensive, bigger double room so we had a bit more room.

Thanks for having us, we had a great time and LOVE Amsterdam. :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RembrandtAMS, Manager at Hotel Rembrandt, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your review, it was very pleasing to find you have enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Rembrandt.
We are sorry to read the WiFi didn't work correct in the room, we are working on fixing this.
I will make sure to pass your kind words to the rest of the staff at the hotel.

Hope to welcome you back!

Tonbridge, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

The first thing to say about this hotel is that despite being in a leafy location (as the Lonely Planet says) it is actually very noisy if you're in a room facing the front of of hotel, as it's on a busy street and tram line. I stayed in two different rooms during my visit, both of which faced the front of the hotel and there is noise throughout the night (though the trams do stop for a few hours), with no double glazing to keep it out. I'd imagine it could get very uncomfortable with the windows closed and no air conditioning in hot weather. The first room they put it me was a reasonably attractive double (I think it was room no. 11), but there was an unpleasant smell from the en suite. After the first night I was in another room which was very small and rather tired looking (as well as noisy).

On the plus side, the breakfast (10 Euro on top of the room price) is quite reasonable and served in an impressive room, often in the presence of the hotel cat (Bink). Staff are perfectly pleasant though not over friendly (the younger woman is the most pleasant). I suspect if I had stayed in different rooms, facing the back or side of the hotel, then I'd have had a better experience. Bear in mind that you may not get a nice room if you're a solo traveller!

The hotel is in a reasonable location though getting to the museum quarter is a little difficult as it is necessary to change tram lines at Spui or Dam by getting out of the tram and walking some distrance to another tram line.

All in all, an average hotel and by all accounts on a par with many in Amsterdam. It may be better value to stay outside Amsterdam (eg in Haarlem) - something I was planning to do and wish I had done.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
RembrandtAMS, General Manager at Hotel Rembrandt, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review, as we are always trying to improve our service and facilities we appreciate your comments.

Regarding your comment about the smell in the double room where you've stayed as a solo traveller - we can inform you that we hired a plumbler to fix this problem right away - which he did.

We do regret that you haven't asked us during your stay for a room at the back, we would have tried our utmost to accomodate you. Although we do have double glazed windows in the rooms , some guests do find the streetsounds unpleasant. No trams between 23.30 and 06.30 hr.

Kindest regards,
L.Kelderman

Been to Hotel Rembrandt? Share your experiences!