“Great Value for Money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel De Paris Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Hotel De Paris Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel De Paris Amsterdam
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marnixstraat 372, 1012 LK Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #262 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Mildenhall, United Kingdom
“Great Value for Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

If your looking for a place to stay that is within walking distance from the entertainment district of Amsterdam, then the Hotel De Paris is the place to stay. It's a short tram ride on the #2 tram from Central Station. The rooms are clean, staff are friendly and helpful and I suggest you take the morning breakfast option. Breakfast includes scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, toast, cereal, toast and much more. The best rates are during the weekdays. Hard Rock cafe, the Holland Casino are within walking distance too. I ALWAYS choose the Hotel De Paris when visiting Amsterdam.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Turkish first
dorset uk
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

So much to say about this hotel both good points and bad points, so breaking it down to sections.

STAFF:
When I arrived I had read the comments about some of the staff so was a little worried. However the guy that checked me and the other staff that were around on my arrival were all friendly and helpful. However after that all I can say is avoid interaction unless needed. They were not rude or unhelpful just glared alot but got the job done, very brisk and efficient but don't smile. The two woman that seem to have something to do with breakfast were a little intimidating when you get up to get something they follow you then fiddle around with something like a jug or paper and sit back down I was not really sure what their purpose was, but found it a little creepy.

ROOM:
I have never had to change hotel rooms due to noise ever! Iam an incredibly heavy sleeper, but honestly it was beyond a joke. The front of the hotel is a on a busy high street with trams every few minutes. The bed is wedged right up against the window and no space to move away from it. Even with my iphone music tuned up I could still hear the trams and gave up on any hope of sleep. The rooms are tiny but the same in most European hotels. The rooms were generally clean with a good amount of power points. The stairs are steep and narrow, again another Amsterdam thing but a working lift was available.

After the first night I asked if there was any possibility of a room change to a quieter part of the hotel and thankfully there was! I was moved to the back of the hotel to a very similar room but no trams!! unfortunately there was a large party of teenagers next door who partied until the small hours but I slept through their drum and bass anything was better than the trams! There is also a rancid smell of sewage in a lot of rooms again i think this is a general problem nt unique to the hotel.

Location:
Cannot be faulted and was one of my key criteria when I was booking, a couple minutes walk if that from leidsplan and obviously outside the door a tram stop, if location is key this hotel is ideal.

Refreshments:
Breakfast is included and is typical continental style eggs meat cheese cereals juices and hot drinks all very pleasant. It does say free coffee through out day (there are no facilities in the rooms) but again this seemed to be met with disapproval by staff but not refusal.

WIFI:
This was important to me as had to do work whilst there connection was excellent and fast.

Taxes:
In Amsterdam you pay a city tax for your stay ( I was aware of this) I paid aprox nine euros on arrival, on check out the guy decided I hadn't paid and insisted I pay again around eight euros this time. I did not think to get a receipt and ended up paying tax twice so obviously was not happy about that.

All in all some very good things but I found the hotel staff slightly intimidating at times, as a single female traveller I don't think that this may have been the best hotel choice maybe if I was a group of burly young lads it would been better.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel a must!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Hotel De Paris is a very well located hotel to explore the centre of Amsterdam. Yes the rooms are small and bathroom very compact but it is clean and we couldn't fault any of the staff. The gentlemen on reception were helpful and courteous and moved us from our noisy room without delay. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel as you won't hear any traffic noise and can sleep with the window open if hot. Plenty of choice for breakfast which is replenished regularly and free tea and coffee available 24hrs. Would certainly recommend this hotel to friends.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Apart from having to suffer a very noisy neighbour in the shape of 4 rather stoned German boys on our 1st night which I have to say was dealt with very well by the lovely staff in this hotel .We had a fab time here and would certainly stay again. .Some of the rooms are quite small though so be warned

Room Tip: Top floor is the quieter
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zurich, switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Great price for the location. It had all the basics, about 1minute walk to the center of town which was an important factor. Made getting around town very easy.
It's not the prettiest room, its basically just a place to rest your head at night.
Didn't really interact with the staff, except for check in and check out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

its very nuce hotel and the staf were very nice kind although we arrived befor the chakin thet let us drop the luggage and go to travel the city.
breakfast is very good diverse.
the room was to small for me and the bed wasnt so comfortable, but in the other hand i didnt came for stay in the hotel so it was nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Uvongo, South Africa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Upon arriving we found ourselves greeted by a rude man who basically threw down the ins and outs of the place. We then found ourselves in a room on the same floor as the reception, oh my flipping heck!! Don't take that room, you can hear everything that goes on in reception, the cleaners constantly, the voices of everyone passing through the hotel (going in and out). The bathroom was tiny, the room was dark and the bed was uncomfortable, most of the lights didn't work. TV was awful, it had next to no channels that were watchable.

We attempted to go for breakfast but it wasn't what we expected, no food left and we was there within time. No facilites to get a coffee during the night?? Even though we were told we could use the coffee machine by one member of staff, another told us not!! And then he went on to tell us we wasn't able to go outside for a cigarette during the night. Many reviews say strong smell of weed but we didn't smell any. Deffo for a budget holiday - make sure you don't stay on the ground floor, you don't get any sleep. Try ask for a room away from everyone else as this hotel has super thin walls!! The dining room was ultra tiny for the amount of people staying as well, probably why we didn't get breakfast even though we went within an hour of serving time up!!!

Believe the negative reviews, they are true!!

Room Tip: not ground floor, ask for a secluded room. hotel has thin walls
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel De Paris Amsterdam? Share your experiences!