“Ok but a bit dated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Wiechmann

Save Saved
You added Hotel Wiechmann to your Saves list
Hotel Wiechmann
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinsengracht 328-332, 1016 HX Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #92 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Wicklow, Ireland
“Ok but a bit dated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

The hotel is ideally situated in the center of Amsterdam. We had a family room on the first floor (2 adults and 2 teenage kids). No lifts in the hotel but this wasn't an issue for us as we were only staying the weekend and had small suitcases. The room itself is quiet basic and dated but functional. Check-in was quick and straightforward. Continental breakfast was again basic but there was enough to fill you up for a tough day of sightseeing.
The breakfast room itself had a wonderful view and you could watch the world (or at least Amsterdam) cycle by while you ate.
I though it was a bit expensive but maybe this is the going rate for hotels in Amsterdam.
Overall I would recommend it.

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage ask for a room on the lower floors.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Portland, Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Let's start with the positive, it's in a great location. The room was sub par with cheap bedspreads and questionable cleaning service. The breakfast was good though. Our room was on the third floor, we had a great view of the canal...which was both good and bad. I slept with earplugs because it is a party all night in the canal. We couldn't afford a lot so this is probably about right for the money. The front desk was underwhelmed by our presence and I had the feeling of always interrupting them by asking a question.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, ask for a room that does not face the canal.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The staff were always very friendly and chatty. The hotel was charming and had a nice cosy and 'homely' feel to it. Every room was spotlessly clean. We loved the breakfast room, with its view of the canal and the cyclists free-wheeling by. The hotel's location was perfect for us too, being in a very quirky part of the city with interesting sights on almost every street. We'd even asked for some sunshine during our stay and you even managed to provide that too!

Room Tip: The stairs are steep and narrow but the rooms were lovely!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Positive highlights: Excellent location (that's why it's pricey) and very polite and attentive service. I stayed there for a couple of nights and I don't regret it! When you have to go back to the airport they can arrange it for you.

Negative highlights: Be careful with the stairs especially if you're carrying heavy baggage. The second night I wasn't allowed to bring visits, but the night before I had no problem, so I guess that depends on the recepcionist. Bring earplugs if you're sensitive to noises, because you'll wake up early!

• Stayed March 2014
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Sorry for my English : very very very very...NOISY !!! impossible to sleep before 02h00 in the night.. simple Windows, à lot of cars trafic just in front of the hotel.
Very old fashion hotel.. It's a shame for the prices ! ( 15 € per night )
We'll never come back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Wiechmann, Owner at Hotel Wiechmann, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
I guess I should apologize for the traffic in front of the hotel, even if we are located in a very quiet part of the city. I also suppose that you looked up the hotel before you made the reservation and you must have noticed what kind of hotel I have. It is not a modern shoe-box hotel, it is an, old-fashioned, Amsterdam Canalhouse hotel. I hope that was not a surprise?
I am however sorry for your bad experience and I actually do hope to see you back someday so I can perhaps make amends.
Accra, Ghana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

The Wiechmann hotel was a great find suggested by a friend who stayed here before. Though it's not considered "modern" it is by no means out-of-date. The room I had on the top floor for a single person (though it included two twins beds...) was amazing and perfect. I opted for the cheaper "non-canal view" and I didn't miss the view at all - I got a lovely view of the rooftops of the city and got to see hidden yards, gardens, etc. The room itself is well-appointed, with a TV, large wardrobe, and plenty of space. The bathroom was adequate and there was plenty of hot water. The infamous steps, mentioned in many a review, aren't that hard to navigate and are typical for Amsterdam buildings...you really do feel like you're in an authentic hotel!

The breakfast provided is in a cute dining room on the corner where you can people watch through large windows and see the scenery. The location is excellent. Moreover, the desk staff is friendly and mostly local, with the owners themselves working it most of the time. The great thing is, there is always someone at the desk. Ordering a cab very early to get to Rotterdam on my last morning was a breeze.

Terrific value, great location, and friendly staff. What more could you want? I cannot wait to return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here from 1-3 February 2014. The comfortable double room had wonderful views of the junction of two canals which could be viewed from the window by the bed as well as from the balcony. It was furnished with slightly old-fashioned but comfortable wooden furniture and fittings. The public rooms were similarly furnished and comfortable.
The staff were very helpful, particularly after I left my passport and quite a lot of cash in the room safe and was out of the city before I noticed and went back. They were most efficient and tolerant in sorting matters out. A very good hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Wiechmann? Share your experiences!