“Wouldn't go back ” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Bob's Youth Hostel

You added Bob's Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Bob's Youth Hostel
Old Centre: New Side | Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #146 of 195 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Wouldn't go back ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Ok I will start with the positives
1) it was cheap
2) it was very central! Right by the train station and all major tourist attractions were within walking distance!

Now on to the negatives
1) the beds were filthy!! Loads of stains on the sheets and the beds were rock hard!
2) the staff are not very friendly and are actually pretty rude! I was getting changed in my room so didn't have my top on and one of the male staff opened the door with no warning (Didn't even knock!!)
3) the beds were unsafe! My friend was on the top bunk and the bed was placed next to a radiator, meaning the bed was not against the wall! As the beds didn't have a railing on both sides this was really dangerous and the gap was massive meaning she could have fallen out! When we told a member of staff about this, his advice was "don't fall". As a result we ended up pulling the mattress onto the floor for her to sleep!
4) outside of the building there was always scary men hanging around outside some pub! I know this isn't the hostels fault but the men made us feel very uncomfortable late at night when they tried talking to us

If I was to visit Amsterdam again I would definitely pay a bit more and stay somewhere different

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

A very different hostel to places i've been before. The reception to the hostel was on one street and then where we actually stayed was on the street behind it!

However the room was good and very interesting with all the walls having graffiti on them. We were on the third floor so the view from the room was nice and great if you love to people watch day or night!

Location was perfect and in walking distance from almost everything.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
St. Albans, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Having read the reviews of Bob's, i was anticipating an absolute dive. We were early upon arrival and the friendly staff quickly gave us a key to store our luggage in the downstairs luggage room whilst we had a trip to a coffeeshop for some breakfast. check in was fast and we were straight up to our room. The stairs were one of the only bad things about this place, as well as the very rude cleaner who woke us all up at around 10am by vacuuming the room, i hope he dosen't always do this! Being able to smoke in the lobby was an upside and so was the cheap beer and drinks available behind the bar. The bathroom/toilet was not as bad as i expected it to be, although the shower did smell from time to time, but who really minds once the smell of shower gel masks it eh!? overall a good stay, however do use the lockers as people staying in your dorm cannot be trusted sometimes and your valuables may go missing!!! location was excellent with everything you could ever want within walking distance.. 6/10 would maybe stay again. Say thank you mr bob for hospitalies and leaky rooves x

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Stayed here with my 18 year old sister for 2 nights, welcoming and helpful staff, everything was clean considering the amount of people per room, the lock boxes under the beds were safe enough but loud to open at night when everyone's asleep so had to sleep in my day clothes, with my camera and money next to me when we got in so as not disturb everyone. The only issue I really had was that when I asked to leave my camera with them at night they just plonked it in the back room and I had to ask them to ask for my name and bed number when I asked for it back. Could smoke green outside and in reception. Nice pub next door. All in all had a good stay, would go back.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Travelling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Let's be honest… some people have very high expectations when booking a budget hostel in the centre of a party town. I would suggest to ignore the reviews that scream at you to stay away. If you are very nervous, you could book yourself into a dearer hostel, however that might not necessarily be any better.

Honestly - Bob's was great! For a budget hostel in the centre of a party town.

Clean beds made up for you.

Clean toilet and bathroom in the dorm ensuite.

Great location.

Large lockers to store your things in (bring your own lock).

Helpful staff (one guy gave me some great advice after a bad trip on space cake in the middle of the night).

The all female dorm is on the first floor and has plenty of power points to charge your things.

Cheap beers.

The only down side is that there are some scary stairs if your room is higher up. That said, I think a lot of other hostels in the area have this problem (for example the White Tulip which I once stayed in and can only say "stay away from that one!"). Old buildings in an old city will have some scary stairs.

I have stayed in quite a few hostels and I think Bob's is great value for money and would highly recommend to a young traveller!

Room Tip: The all female dorm is on the first floor (less stairs to climb).
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The location is a very big advantage. The beds and bathroom were not that tidy I would say 2 stars out of 5. No sockets to charge your phones. Except the location other things were bad. In Amsterdam who goes to sleep? Few hours of sleep is what you want. There are other better hostels near by you could try them. Bobs youth hostel, try it if you don't have any other option. There is a pub just beside called The Doors a must visit if you are rock fan.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My friends and I stayed here as traveller during July 2014.We had an awful time.

We had to climb death stairs to our room which was two blocks away from reception, it was filthy, dirty floor, stained sheets, dirty walls (mould and damp on them) and a stray cat was there when we opened the door, also the guy at reception gave us the wrong key- the one for our neighbours room - we could have stolen all their stuff! We asked for clean sheets and got damp/wet ones then asked for the room to be cleaned and it was not.

The rooms are literally a health hazard! Also, there was no point in complaining because a group before us informed us that when they complained the staff were just rude so we decided just to leave as soon as we could - the No refunds sign hinted we shouldn't even bother asking for our money back despite wasting it on a s-hole of a hostel.
Hair in the sink and toilet is not in the room also.
Ruined out trip to Amsterdam