“Great hostel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bob's Youth Hostel

You added Bob's Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Bob's Youth Hostel
Old Centre: New Side | Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #171 of 207 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Great hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my 18 year old sister for 2 nights, welcoming and helpful staff, everything was clean considering the amount of people per room, the lock boxes under the beds were safe enough but loud to open at night when everyone's asleep so had to sleep in my day clothes, with my camera and money next to me when we got in so as not disturb everyone. The only issue I really had was that when I asked to leave my camera with them at night they just plonked it in the back room and I had to ask them to ask for my name and bed number when I asked for it back. Could smoke green outside and in reception. Nice pub next door. All in all had a good stay, would go back.

1 Thank Leah A

Travelling
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Let's be honest… some people have very high expectations when booking a budget hostel in the centre of a party town. I would suggest to ignore the reviews that scream at you to stay away. If you are very nervous, you could book yourself into a dearer hostel, however that might not necessarily be any better.

Honestly - Bob's was great! For a budget hostel in the centre of a party town.

Clean beds made up for you.

Clean toilet and bathroom in the dorm ensuite.

Great location.

Large lockers to store your things in (bring your own lock).

Helpful staff (one guy gave me some great advice after a bad trip on space cake in the middle of the night).

The all female dorm is on the first floor and has plenty of power points to charge your things.

Cheap beers.

The only down side is that there are some scary stairs if your room is higher up. That said, I think a lot of other hostels in the area have this problem (for example the White Tulip which I once stayed in and can only say "stay away from that one!"). Old buildings in an old city will have some scary stairs.

I have stayed in quite a few hostels and I think Bob's is great value for money and would highly recommend to a young traveller!

Room Tip: The all female dorm is on the first floor (less stairs to climb).
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
2 Thank kintus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

The location is a very big advantage. The beds and bathroom were not that tidy I would say 2 stars out of 5. No sockets to charge your phones. Except the location other things were bad. In Amsterdam who goes to sleep? Few hours of sleep is what you want. There are other better hostels near by you could try them. Bobs youth hostel, try it if you don't have any other option. There is a pub just beside called The Doors a must visit if you are rock fan.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My friends and I stayed here as traveller during July 2014.We had an awful time.

We had to climb death stairs to our room which was two blocks away from reception, it was filthy, dirty floor, stained sheets, dirty walls (mould and damp on them) and a stray cat was there when we opened the door, also the guy at reception gave us the wrong key- the one for our neighbours room - we could have stolen all their stuff! We asked for clean sheets and got damp/wet ones then asked for the room to be cleaned and it was not.

The rooms are literally a health hazard! Also, there was no point in complaining because a group before us informed us that when they complained the staff were just rude so we decided just to leave as soon as we could - the No refunds sign hinted we shouldn't even bother asking for our money back despite wasting it on a s-hole of a hostel.
Hair in the sink and toilet is not in the room also.
Ruined out trip to Amsterdam

Sleep Quality
1 Thank Kerry D

Travelers are raving about these Amsterdam hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The directions we were given were unclear and had us wandering around for ages. When we arrived the staff were unhelpful and not approachable. We stayed in a 12 bed mix dorm and the beds were damp and smelled. The showers were cold and wifi wasn't always assesable. Overall not worthy of the money spent.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank Homeskillet1
Amsterdam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

Great location but that is the only positive. The staff make you feel like you are imposing on them when asking for help, the rooms have no air con or fan so get stuffy (especially when there are 16 beds) and the shower had no hot water. The prices were ridiculously inflated. Avoid unless other places are more expensive.

1 Thank Bradley S
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Honestly anybody who writes a positive review on this hostel must actually work there. The WiFi was down the whole time, credit card machine..down, hot water...down, everything about this place was horrible. The shower and toilet are located in your dorm room, and the shower smells like rotten sewage. There was a build up of black sludge on one side of the shower that was there for the first 2 days of our stay. We were out of toilet paper for 2 days and when asked to get more they suggested we bring it up ourselves. The beds are hard foam resting on wire frames. Honestly I usually take negative reviews on here with a grain of salt but please let this warning save your Amsterdam trip. Unless you are in the private rooms you stay around the corner next to a seedy bar. Then, if you are lucky enough to get our room you only have to walk up 3 steep narrow stair cases not four. Terrible hostel...shame on you Bob

Room Tip: Don't choose any room here. Try the Flying Pig Hostel
1 Thank Dan M