“We love Bob” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bob's Youth Hostel

You added Bob's Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Bob's Youth Hostel
Old Centre: New Side | Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)   |
Ranked #144 of 192 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
London
“We love Bob”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed at Bob's last month, the hostel is right in the center of Amsterdam nearest coffee-shop is literally across the road. Walking distance to all the attractions. Not the cleanest of places but had no problems with dirty beds or bugs. Showers are small but reasonable. Was worried about sharing with people, however 5 of us managed to get bunk beds next to eachother and everyone was friendly.

Wouldn't recommend if you don't smoke marijuana as the reception area is open to smoking. Breakfast was standard, eggs, toast and coffee. Would stay again, such a good price!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
SF
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

When we walked into Bob's we were greeted by a long dimly lit basement lounge littered with stoners, grafitti and marijuana smoke. Heavy psychedelic music was blasting as we met the dreadlocked member of staff behind the counter. After making our payment, we made our way up the long twisted stairs about five levels, when we eventually got to our room which was large and full of around a dozen bunkbeds with a great view out into the city.

We met a dozen French kids and had a great time partying with them as well as many other people that we met during our two day stay. Honestly, I loved the place. Didn't want to leave. It's in the middle of Amsterdam, very social, and dirt cheap. The staff were cool, you get a simple breakfast, and the place was surprisingly full of cute girls. Remember, it's no frills and definitely bring your own soap, etc. My only real problem was having to go to the bathroom in the dark due to a broken light.

Next time I'm in Amsterdam, I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: i wouldn't worry about getting the larger rooms with more beds. it's easy to meet peeps and...
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Well before heading off to Amsterdam I read the reviews of Bob's and was a bit worried, eventhough there was 6 of us. However it worked out perfectly. I would describe the setting as urban, however I can see why some of the reviews described the grafitii everywhere as something like a crack house but I though it suited the Amsterdam setting.
The staff were helpful and you do get breakfast, not much but it all helps for those on a budget. We slept in a 10 person room which had an incredible view. (long windy stairs!) There are very big lockers as well for your belongings. Its not the cleanest hostel and don't be surprised if you spot a mouse in the luggage room but its just the basics you need. (a cheap place to sleep) But we ended up chilling in the lounge alot meeting other travellers and of course smoking weed in the lobby. It was a nice chilled atmosphere and I would go back. It was central for the red light district, restaurants, Anna Frank house and Dam square. I hope this review was helpful.
Ps. a word of advice, the supermarket is down the street from Bob's so try shop there as everywhere else is so over priced! We only realised this on our last day!!

Room Tip: A 10 person room will be quieter than a 20 person room.
Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

The bed rooms were clean and the bathrooms. The communal area was a bit dirty and you can smoke there but it was a good atmosphere and they had a useful luggage room you can use even after you check out.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

I don't really understand all these low ratings. When you book a hostel what do you expect? Anyway, the hostel's room was same as a hotel's room, yet it was a bit dirty. The 'reception' is a cool place where you can enjoy the reason you are going to Amsterdam, with great music, munchies vending machines, and great atmosphere. Also, an add-up is the breakfast included. Highly reccomended if you like hippy-classy places.

Room Tip: Green room
Quebec City, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a cool hostel...
Breakfast included, with marijuana (which is part of the tourism in there)
the middle east housekeeping workers were quite impolite....
good atmosphere anywhere...
if u like hippy sytle....
good location...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Arriving at Bob's Hostel I quickly learned of Amsterdam productivity when it took over an hour to check-in due to slow moving staff members with a genuine disinterest in serving the Hostel guests. After the first night I woke up with bites all over my body and it quickly became evident that the bed I was sleeping on had bed bugs that enjoyed an overnight feast exclusively featuring my flesh. I spent a second night in the hotel, with different sheets and fully clothed. To the Bed Bugs' delight, the feast continued for a second night.
I should note, the third night I approached the reception desk and mentioned the bed bugs and that I would not be staying for my third and final night and instead went elsewhere. The following morning I returned requesting a refund. Without any difficulty they refunded my money for all three nights.

Although the location is prime, I would strongly advise to find a different hostel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Bob's Youth Hostel? Share your experiences!