“Cheap and cheerful - and very much so!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bob's Youth Hostel

You added Bob's Youth Hostel to your Saves list
Bob's Youth Hostel
Old Centre: New Side | Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 92, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Centrum)   |
Ranked #146 of 195 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
South Wales, United Kingdom
“Cheap and cheerful - and very much so!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

First things first - this is Amsterdam. When you're in the city centre, even the famous landmarks and top hotels are no more than a few minutes' walk from the red light district, some are right in it. So although there are a couple of kamers (red light windows) very close to Bob's, this is normal in Amsterdam, and in fact the location is generally a lot quieter at night than some of the much fancier places.
Now, Bob's itself. It's not the first time I've stayed at Bob's (the previous occasion was in June of this year), and it was better this time than last time. I found the receptionist helpful, although I know from past experience that some of them are a lot nicer than others. Once again I was in the second building, one street back from the building with the reception, this time on the second floor (although Amsterdam floors are quite high!). The beds were better quality than last time, basic but comfortable enough. There's one loo and one shower in the room for 16 people, and another loo down the corridor, which acts as a spare for all the dorms on that floor. The lockers are pretty big, and put all your stuff in them overnight (it's not that hard!), always better safe than sorry. I've never had any theft problems at Bob's but that's no reason to be complacent.
Bob's only accepts cash - this is very clear on the website, and at time of booking, so you should be well-prepared. The breakfast is... basic... very basic. But, at bed and breakfast for 15€ a night, I really can't complain - even if you don't bother with the breakfast, it's still cheap.
The lounge and reception area can get quite smoky in the afternoons and evenings, but again, you're in Amsterdam at a hostel named after Bob Marley; expect this.
Bob's is a short walk from pretty much everything central, and there's trams right outside the reception building too. Station is a 5-10 minute walk, Dam Square about the same, ditto the main red light district at De Wallen. There are coffeeshops everywhere. Bob's will normally offer you a map when you arrive, and they have them in the reception as well. There's several tourist information places nearby as well if you want information and discounts on several of the attractions, from the Van Gogh Museum, to the Amsterdam Dungeon, to the Heineken Experience.
tl:dr; Bob's is very very cheap, good location, but basic, as is reflected by the price.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

2 of my friends and I stayed at Bob's for 4 nights in late October 2012; we weren't expecting much, only needed a bed and that's what we got. Except I didn't...in the middle of the night, about 3am I was woken up by one of the receptionists who was shouting at me for sleeping in the wrong bed. You're allocated bed numbers, which aren't mentioned on arrival as being important, but we abided to them anyway; when I got back from my 2nd night out some other guys had just arrived in the hostel and one had taken my bed. I wasn't too bothered, but for being compromising and using a different bed I was rewarded with shouting that woke the whole dorm up and didn't exactly end the night in the way I'd hoped. Maybe I was in the wrong in that situation, but even so, the dorm's are basic, there are apparent mice problems which luckily didn't affect us, and the breakfast included in the price is a piece of bread with optional peanut butter sachet, and a mushy boiled egg. Taking all of this into account, for it's price and location, and the amazing time I had overall in Amsterdam partly due to our the proximity from the centre Bob's still gets an average review... just don't expect much, if you want anything more than a bed find somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Chania Town, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

So ok it's in a good location, in the center of amsterdam, but... the room was really, and i mean really dirty, and the staff not really helpful. Aside of that when we arrived they told us that credit cards weren't accepted, so we pay the total amount for our staying there by cash and we ran out of money for the key deposit, so they didn't give as a key and they reminded us four times that we are still have to pay the 20euro key deposit.
So you all should really consider if it's worth the money, cause it's not cheap.

Room Tip: read more carefully other reviews.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Just thought I would add my tuppence worth from several years ago as it doesn't apear to have changed... We travelled as a group of 6 girlfriends in Summer (August) 2006.

When we arrived, we were put in the back building down an adjacent street up about 100 stairs in the attic. In our large mixed dorm when we finally climbed the stairs, there was a used sanitary towel on the floor. On the blanket of my bed, there was some old chewing gum stuck on it. I couldn't even stretch out on my bed as the window for the whole room that needed to be kept open in the middle of summer, went over the end of my bed. Throughout the night, as the breeze changed, the window would bash against my foot.

Cleanliness was awful and the bathroom was vile- it was shared I think by about 15-18 people and there was always a queue.

Then, on the second night there, I was robbed in my sleep. I kept my purse and passport in my handbag wound round my hand in my bed. My wallet was stolen, including my room key. I was then- rather cheekily I might add, not allowed back the deposit for my room key despite the fact it was stolen from me as I slept in that god-awful hostel. They refused to help me even find the police station. I was stuck with no money for the rest of my trip and they would not even let me phone my bank etc- I had to do that from my mobile and incurred even more costs.

Oh, and it was right opposite a brothel.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay here!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I visited amsterdam with my boyfriend for the 2nd time and bob's is possibly the worst place in amsterdam, we checked in with a really cool receptionist and things were looking good, he then told us we were staying in the other part of the hotel which is like a street behind, i was a bit weary as i thought it would lack in safety but it was ok a guy sits at the entrance in the evening and you use a pin code to enter. On first glances the rooms looked fine, the shower i have to admit was clean and quite modern, the lockers are a good size to keep stuff in but my boyfriend happened to find a knife on top of the locker!!!!!! Thats not even the worse, the worst bit is the MICE, during the night you can hear them scurrying around and also you can hear them in the roof tiles absolutely horrible 3 sleepless nights thanks to bob!! When my boyfriend and I were storing out luggage in the main bit of the hostel on the day we checked out we saw the state of the main building, discussing graffiti everywhere, reminded me of a crackhouse! Their are so many other decent hostels please stay in one of these.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Me and my friend stayed here for one night in a 16 bed female dorm, room cleanliness was excellent, beds were super comfortable and we felt really safe. Excellent value for money in an superb location! The only slight issue was the shower didnt drain and flooded the floor a tiny bit but would stay there again in a heartbeat! :)

• Stayed September 2012
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Disgusting place... The bedroom was completely dirty, breakfast was horrible and we had to "climb" more than 100steps us on the stair to get to our room... Rude staff! Dont' go. Only thing positive: location!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends