“Suited me well.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Clemens Hotel

You added Clemens Hotel to your Saves list
Clemens Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Raadhuisstraat 39, 1016 DC Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #34 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Hobart, Australia
“Suited me well.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

The location was excellent: near Anne Frank's house, the Royal Palace and trams to other attractions. I am reasonably fit and was prepared for the 37 steps up to reception and 19 up to my room. So not recommended if you are not fit or have heavy luggage. As requested on booking, my single room was away from the street and quiet. It was definitely small but its unusual long shape made it functional and a big window (which could be opened) looked onto a large tree in a courtyard. The fittings and decor were modern and fresh. Storage was limited but I had only a small suitcase. The drink on arrival was very welcome and I enjoyed the communal area for guests at various other times. Breakfast was very good and having it on the balcony was a plus. I found the staff pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The location was great for us, close to sites and train station. After a long trip with two young kids, we were greater with a drink of our choice on arrival. We had our drink on the lovely balcony overlooking the hustle and bustle of everyday Amsterdam.
The stairs leading up to reception are steep (understatement) but at least the receptionist offered to bring our bags up.
Overall, we were very pleased with this hotel, it is obvious that they going the extra step to make the guest comfortable.

• Stayed May 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We spent 2d-1n in Amsterdam and stayed one night in this cute 2-star hotel. Only 25-min walk from the Central train station. If you don't like walking, there are Tram stations near by. The hotel is located at a very nice and beautiful neighborhood and make you feel like you're living in the center of the city:
. 5-min walk to the Anne Frank house
. 25-min walk to Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh Museum
. 25-min walk to Rembrandt House Museum
. 20-min walk to Red-light Dist.

As we expected, we needed to climb up the two stories in order to get to the hotel lobby and cafe, and climbed two more stories up to get to our room; good thing that we don't have any luggage; only backpacks. The hotel staffs and cats are all very friendly. There are free coffee and tea provided to all customers at the cafe which you can enjoy your afternoon tea and take a short break at the balcony right next to the cafe. Room was tiny, but comfortable.

We didn't take any public transportation during our two-day stay and visiting around this beautiful city on foot; which we did enjoy a lot.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

I didn't like the fact that my Macbook Air was stolen from my room the first night I was there and the hotel receptionist and owner tried to imply that I was pulling a fast one. They had CCTV and door entry swipe card system which records everything but they did not provide the information and assistance I needed. I asked them to phone the police and they refused at first and only rang when I asked them for the number. The owner said that he would look through the CCTV evidence and let me know what they found. He also said that he would leave the hotel's insurance details. The following morning when I went to check out the morning receptionist didn't have anything for me. Their whole behaviour is suspect and I do not advise staying there. I had to go to the local police station to report the theft and they couldn't understand why the hotel had not provided me with the door entry report to my room at the very least.

Room Tip: The best tip I can give is don't stay there. The room was tiny and I've no reason to believe...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HotelClemens, General Manager at Clemens Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review on tripadvisor about our hotel. We appreciate every feedback. We sincerely regret that your Macbook was lost/missing during your stay in Amsterdam. We did everything possible to assist you and to find the laptop for you. Our staff and the management checked the CCTV system second by second from the moment you checked in till the moment you informed us about your missing Macbook and also we ask you to check the system yourself. Also our keycard system was checked and our conclusion was, as we informed you personally, that we can only confirm the laptop was not stolen in our hotel. We even checked these systems more than once following your three different versions of what happened with you Macbook. Possible that you lost it elsewhere in Amsterdam but we are 100% sure that it cannot have happened in our hotel. We informed the police with these conclusions, as you requested, and offered them to pass by to check the system by themselves.
Like many of our guests can confirm we do always everything in our power and even more to assist our appreciated guests. So if there is still something we can do for please contact us any time.
Again and again we welcome any investigation by your insurance company or and other official authorities, any time you like.
We hope that you will return to our lovely city and our great small hotel.
Kind regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We were made feel very welcome by the staff. The breakfast options were good with no problem providing Gluten Free options. Stairs to reception and rooms would be a challenge for most people but staff very obliging with carrying bags. Dining room open all day was a plus. Rooms are very small and particularly some garden rooms.

• Stayed May 2014
Lauf
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Spent two nights here and everything was great. Very central for Sightseeing, lovely Restaurants nearby. Delicious breakfast and spotless room. Staff all very friendly and helpful. Steep staircase could be Problem for elderly People. Lovely small balcony out front.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Clemens Hotel? Share your experiences!