“My Kind Of Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Keizershof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Keizershof
You added Hotel Keizershof to your Saves list
Keizersgracht 618 | Tram 16 & 24, 4th Stop, 1017 ER Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #32 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Ipswich
“My Kind Of Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I have been staying here on my frequent visits to my favourite city for 25 years and I can't recommend it highly enough. Sometimes I've been alone, sometimes with friends and sometimes with relatives. Everyone is always made to feel at home by the de Vries family (mother, daughter and son). There are no frills here, but, my word, a visitor soon becomes one of the de Vries family! And the breakfasts are to die for. The rooms are clean, comfortable and the greatest mattresses I've ever slept on. Maybe I'll move in permanently!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Eureka, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I love the family that runs this hotel; they are helpful, knowledgeable and so sweet. The location couldn't be better-you're close to all the fun, but not on the main drag-so it feels like it is your summer home on a residential street, rather than a hotel. The price was very low, and everything was clean and inviting and spacious (except the spiral stairs!). As other people have mentioned, the only hard part was the stairs: we stayed on the 3rd floor and had big, heavy bags. I wouldn't recommend this place for the elderly, only because the narrow spiral staircase would be dangerous for him/her. Another plus is the amazing garden in the backyard filled with beautiful flowers, a few statues, and even a few kitties! I would surely stay here again. P.S. they even had wireless internet.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Perth Western Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

The location is fantasic, between the museum quarter and the city centre. 15 minutes interesting and comfortable stroll to Centraal Station, tram stop on corner 50 metres away, museums, Vondel Park ten minutes walk away. Antique and art shops very close by, self serve laundromat five minutes walk.

Amsterdam is not a cheap city, but there are a number of cheaper, wholesome restaurants not far away. In particular there is a little one called GoFresh at 135 Vijzelgraccht just around the corner. It is run by an African guy who cooks your food on the spot, and it is as good and as fresh, with a reasonable variety of dishes, as you will find in any expensive restaurant. Filling, quality meals between euro 7.5 to 13.5. Believe me, when you are forking out money hand over fist at rip off dives, you appreciate some good, honest value.

The hotel itself? Very comfortable, kind, obliging people, everyone speaks excellent English (and German and one or two others that I could make out). I concur with all the favourable comments I have read here about this hotel and the breakfast provided. The ensuite room faces the lovely back garden and the view is a delight. The room is quite large though slightly narrow, and has some very interesting and probably expensive old world features. Everything worked, and while the small staircase up is, well, interesting, you will always remember the experience of negotiating it pleasantly, providing you are in normal health.

The hosts are proud, refined people, with a good Dutch sense of humour, who will go out of their way to oblige. But you must remember it is also their family home, and you should be prepared to afford your hosts the respect you would to anyone else who invites you into their house. If not, stay at the local hotel chain, where as a number yourself, you can treat others as numbers.

Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights in early May 2010.
I don’t think there is a better place to stay in Amsterdam, if you can manage the stairs. It’s well located on a beautiful canal and an easy walk to all the main sights, including the main train station if you want to venture further on a day trip.
As other reviewers have said, this is a family-run hotel and I felt like I was their house guest, not a hotel guest. The family is welcoming and helpful. They are really nice people.
My room was on the canal side of the building and I liked that. I didn’t have a problem with the occasional sounds. The room was very clean and very comfortable. It was lovely to arrive back in the evening and find that the heating was already on and the room was cosy.
My room was big with an ensuite shower and sink. There was a shared toilet in the hall, but this was never a problem.
The breakfasts are wonderful. A feast of fruit, cereals, yogurt, breads etc., and the famous omelettes. So delicious!
I hope I have an opportunity to stay here some other time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

The DeVries are very welcoming and obviously care about the wellbeing of their guests. The hotel is located on a beautiful canal, and it's centrally located to most of downtown Amsterdam. We stayed on the very top floor, which meant lots and lots of stairs. It wasn't a problem for us, but anyone with any kind of physical limitations should think twice before staying here. Aside from that, the room was clean and affordable, i.e. perfect for our needs.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Keizershof in April this year and it exceeded all our expectations. It is a charming seventeenth century canal-house, owned by the De Vries family and located on the picturesque Keizersgracht in the historic center of Amsterdam.
We stayed in the Rita Hayworth room, a double room on the third floor overlooking the pretty gardens below. There was a shower and toilet in our room in addition to tea and coffee making facilities. The room was spotlessly clean and spacious, the doonas and pillows were soft and fluffy and the bed was very comfortable.
Each morning we were served a delicious Dutch breakfast that consisted of juice, tea or coffee, cereal, yoghurt, jam and Mary's home-made bread and special omelettes or eggs and bacon.
The Hotel Keizershof is within easy walking distance of all historic sites, including the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the Coster Diamonds Museum, Dam Square and the Amsterdam flower market. There are also some delightful pubs, great restaurants and little eateries nearby.
We were staying at the Hotel Keizershof when there was an eruption at Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland on April 17. This meant that we were unable to fly home on 18th April. Mary, her daughter Hanneke and son Ernest did all they could to keep us up-to-date with the latest developments each day. The Hotel Keizershof became our 'home away from home' and the De Vries family 'our family' who cared and comforted us until we were finally able to get on a flight home 3 days later. When it came time to go, we were genuinely sorry to leave and will be forever grateful for the kindness that was shown to us during that time.
So, if you all looking for a real Dutch family experience, look no further! The De Vries family are waiting to welcome you to their hotel. What are you waiting for? Go on, book it and I hope like us, you'll find that a stay at Hotel Keizershof is a MOST delightful experience!
Cherie and Dick Wilkinson
Sydney, Australia

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Chapala, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Welcoming hosts. Great location on nice canel. Big room. Great breakfast. Received good recommendations with directions. Some street noise.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Keizershof? Share your experiences!