“I would stay here again anytime.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Keizershof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Keizershof
Keizersgracht 618, 1017 ER Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #27 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Perth Western Australia
“I would stay here again anytime.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2010

The location is fantasic, between the museum quarter and the city centre. 15 minutes interesting and comfortable stroll to Centraal Station, tram stop on corner 50 metres away, museums, Vondel Park ten minutes walk away. Antique and art shops very close by, self serve laundromat five minutes walk.

Amsterdam is not a cheap city, but there are a number of cheaper, wholesome restaurants not far away. In particular there is a little one called GoFresh at 135 Vijzelgraccht just around the corner. It is run by an African guy who cooks your food on the spot, and it is as good and as fresh, with a reasonable variety of dishes, as you will find in any expensive restaurant. Filling, quality meals between euro 7.5 to 13.5. Believe me, when you are forking out money hand over fist at rip off dives, you appreciate some good, honest value.

The hotel itself? Very comfortable, kind, obliging people, everyone speaks excellent English (and German and one or two others that I could make out). I concur with all the favourable comments I have read here about this hotel and the breakfast provided. The ensuite room faces the lovely back garden and the view is a delight. The room is quite large though slightly narrow, and has some very interesting and probably expensive old world features. Everything worked, and while the small staircase up is, well, interesting, you will always remember the experience of negotiating it pleasantly, providing you are in normal health.

The hosts are proud, refined people, with a good Dutch sense of humour, who will go out of their way to oblige. But you must remember it is also their family home, and you should be prepared to afford your hosts the respect you would to anyone else who invites you into their house. If not, stay at the local hotel chain, where as a number yourself, you can treat others as numbers.

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights in early May 2010.
I don’t think there is a better place to stay in Amsterdam, if you can manage the stairs. It’s well located on a beautiful canal and an easy walk to all the main sights, including the main train station if you want to venture further on a day trip.
As other reviewers have said, this is a family-run hotel and I felt like I was their house guest, not a hotel guest. The family is welcoming and helpful. They are really nice people.
My room was on the canal side of the building and I liked that. I didn’t have a problem with the occasional sounds. The room was very clean and very comfortable. It was lovely to arrive back in the evening and find that the heating was already on and the room was cosy.
My room was big with an ensuite shower and sink. There was a shared toilet in the hall, but this was never a problem.
The breakfasts are wonderful. A feast of fruit, cereals, yogurt, breads etc., and the famous omelettes. So delicious!
I hope I have an opportunity to stay here some other time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Falls Church, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

The DeVries are very welcoming and obviously care about the wellbeing of their guests. The hotel is located on a beautiful canal, and it's centrally located to most of downtown Amsterdam. We stayed on the very top floor, which meant lots and lots of stairs. It wasn't a problem for us, but anyone with any kind of physical limitations should think twice before staying here. Aside from that, the room was clean and affordable, i.e. perfect for our needs.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Keizershof in April this year and it exceeded all our expectations. It is a charming seventeenth century canal-house, owned by the De Vries family and located on the picturesque Keizersgracht in the historic center of Amsterdam.
We stayed in the Rita Hayworth room, a double room on the third floor overlooking the pretty gardens below. There was a shower and toilet in our room in addition to tea and coffee making facilities. The room was spotlessly clean and spacious, the doonas and pillows were soft and fluffy and the bed was very comfortable.
Each morning we were served a delicious Dutch breakfast that consisted of juice, tea or coffee, cereal, yoghurt, jam and Mary's home-made bread and special omelettes or eggs and bacon.
The Hotel Keizershof is within easy walking distance of all historic sites, including the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh Museum, the Coster Diamonds Museum, Dam Square and the Amsterdam flower market. There are also some delightful pubs, great restaurants and little eateries nearby.
We were staying at the Hotel Keizershof when there was an eruption at Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland on April 17. This meant that we were unable to fly home on 18th April. Mary, her daughter Hanneke and son Ernest did all they could to keep us up-to-date with the latest developments each day. The Hotel Keizershof became our 'home away from home' and the De Vries family 'our family' who cared and comforted us until we were finally able to get on a flight home 3 days later. When it came time to go, we were genuinely sorry to leave and will be forever grateful for the kindness that was shown to us during that time.
So, if you all looking for a real Dutch family experience, look no further! The De Vries family are waiting to welcome you to their hotel. What are you waiting for? Go on, book it and I hope like us, you'll find that a stay at Hotel Keizershof is a MOST delightful experience!
Cherie and Dick Wilkinson
Sydney, Australia

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Chapala, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2010

Welcoming hosts. Great location on nice canel. Big room. Great breakfast. Received good recommendations with directions. Some street noise.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

We stayed in this charming B&B for 3 nights in March of 2010. We were delighted with the room, location, breakfast and hospitality. The mother, daughter and son were gracious in every way.

We found a Dutch cell phone on our first day and they were very helpful in translating the phone info and were able to contact the owner and secure it's safe return. This time was above and beyond they obligation, but they were delightful to assist.

Our room (Marlene Detrich Room on the 3rd floor) was large with a sink, table and chairs and a tv. We had a lovely view of their garden. The breakfasts were grand!!! Mary, the mother, provided us with numerous choices, toast, buns, caramel filled wafers, cornflakes, musleix, cheeses, fresh and dried fruit, yogurt, juice, coffee, tea and a daily hot option. One day we had dutch pancakes with fresh strawberries and nutella. The second day we had cheese omlettes with chives. The third we had to leave early to catch the train on `easter. The son kindly gave us a bag of chocolate Easter cookies. We never had any cookie as good before.

Each day they gave us tips on things to do and where to go. And they even shared their living space in the evening. We had a great time sharing stories about travel, family and their B&B business.

Now we feel obligated to address the stairs. We stayed on the 3rd floor and did not struggle with the stairs. We expected stairs in Europe. And the twist, just made them more charming. If anyone has trouble with them, they may need to consider less luggage. If you do want to stay here and are concerned about the stairs book early and get the room on the 1st floor.

We traveled Europe for 6 weeks and this by far was our favorite place to stay. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
SoCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2010

Each April I visit Amsterdam for a week of meetings. I want a place to stay where I feel at home, with a location convenient to the central city, with charm and personality. I return to Hotel Keizershof every year for these reasons and more. When I arrive from America, tired and jet lagged, Mary or Hanneke greet me at the door with, "Hello, Peter. Welcome home!" My room is a great value, looks out over the Keizersgracht, and has everything I need. Each morning Mary makes me a delicious omelette or pankoeken, freshly squeezed orange juice, hot and fresh bread, and I enjoy my meal seated around a table with fellow travelers from around the world. When I want to go out and enjoy the city, it's on my doorstep. Who could ask for more?

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Keizershof? Share your experiences!