“Lovely place,Great hosts and so close to everything” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Keizershof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Keizershof
You added Hotel Keizershof to your Saves list
Keizersgracht 618 | Tram 16 & 24, 4th Stop, 1017 ER Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #32 of 343 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Lovely place,Great hosts and so close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This was such a lovely place and my husband and I loved every aspect of staying here. It was close to most of the attractions and we never had to use public transportation to get us anywhere. Even though it was placed in a central area of the city, once inside it feels like a quaint little place where you can escape off from the bustle of the street. Ernest and Hanneke were lovely hosts who made us feel completely at home. The breakfast table every morning was a great place to meet the other guests and socialize over the extraordinary breakfast spread which included cereal, a good assortment of breads and cheese in addition to honeycomb and fresh fruits. I treated myself to an omelette everyday which the hosts made for me and it was simply the most delicious to have. The rooms are simple and cosy and even though I was apprehensive about having to share the loos it wasn't as bad and was actually quite well-maintained. We stayed in the Charlie Chaplin room and there was a bit of walking/dragging/disturbance in the room above us and that was the only negative thing we'd have to say about the place. That and the narrow spiral winding staircase but then it's understandable, this being a 17th century building.
To sum it up, great place, great location, lovely hosts and we'd definitely stay here if made another trip to Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Robina, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Our room [Rita Hayworth] overlooked the beautiful gardens at the back of these canal houses, and we had a small desk, an occasional table and chairs.
It caught the sun, and it was 32-36' during the day while we were there, but it was quiet enough to sleep with the windows open. That would not be true in other parts of Amsterdam where load bars and restaurants and noisy patrons would be disturbing.
We had planned to buy daily tram tickets, but you do not need them. You can walk to all the major museums, and see the sights on foot.
The climb up to our 4th floor abode we were warned about by previous reviewers and we expected it. I got fitter!
The breakfasts are as described..
We had clean towels every day. We felt pampered.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I throughly enjoyed my 4 day stay at Hotel Keizershof in Amsterdam. The hotel is located within walking distance to all the sights. My room (Charlie Chaplin) overlooked the Keizersgracht canal and it was wonderful. I was traveling by myself and felt very safe and comfortable there. The hosts, Mary and Ernest were very nice and helpful and made me feel very welcome. I will certainly stay at Hotel Keizershof again when I return to Amsterdam. It was everything I hoped for in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: The garden side of the hotel is quieter, if you want quiet, but I wanted to be overlooking the canal...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Walnut Creek, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Keizershof for five nights in April and loved it. It's old, historic and totally charming. The location is ideal. The hosts are friendly and very helpful. The breakfasts are large and delicious (the stroopwafels are addictive!). Yes, the stairs to the upper rooms are steep. To those complaining about that, it's a canal house in Amsterdam . . . . what did you expect? We would definitely stay there in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Berryville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Keizershof for 2 nights prior to a bike and barge trip that left from Amsterdam. The hotel is nicely located - easy to get to and from the train station using the tram (just 4 stops from the station and a walk down the block); close to major museums and other sites of interest (RIjksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, Anne Frank House, etc.). The proprietors were friendly and helpful - providing excellent restaurant suggestions, useful information about sites to see, etc. Breakfast was substantial, delicious and relaxed. Our room, overlooking one of the many canals, was clean, comfortable and quiet - pleasant for tired travelers. As other reviewers have commented, some of the facilities are shared, but they are very well maintained and sharing did not pose any problems at all.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at Hotel Keizershof in Amsterdam in June for 3 nights. I had looked up the hotel on trip advisor before and decided that this would be a good option for me and my wife. Despite some of the rooms sharing facilities, for example we stayed in the Charlie Chaplin room and had our own private shower but shared a toilet with some other guests, this was never a problem as it was not shared between a lot of people and thus we never had to wait to use the bathroom. It was also maintained perfectly clean and again this is why we did not have any problems sharing the toilet. The room we stayed in was very spacious and clean and included tea / coffee, very tasty stroop wafels and satelite television featuring dutch and some english programmes.

The Hotel is ideally located, it is close enough to the historic centre and an easy 10 walk to a lot of museums and attractions yet it is far away enough from the party areas to provide a peaceful night sleep, we slept with the windows open and were not disturbed at all during the night by loud parties etc.

The hosts were very kind and provided a fantastic breakfast. This hotel is great value for money.

The beds were also very comfortable and spacious.

Be advised though that the rooms are located on the 3rd floor with some steep steps to get to the top but honestly I think this is a common feature of most Amsterdam establishments so do not let this put you off.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone considering visiting Amsterdam.

Room Tip: We quite enjoyed the Charlie Chaplin room, very spacious with a nice view over one of the canals and...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

On line it looked perfect; quaint, quirky, old and family run. Just the sort of place for us on a short city break. We had read that "some rooms" shared facilities but this had won the 2014 award and therefore should be excellent in all areas. The hotel is superbly positioned on one of the atmospheric main canals of Amsterdam and in walking distance of everywhere. The most dangerous aspect of all streets in this capital are the many thousands of cyclists that speed everywhere having no regard for dreamy tourists enjoying the atmosphere and this is as true on the doorstep of this fine building as any where in the rest of the city.

We were two middle aged couples and on arrival one of the owners instantly assessed our physical agility and decided for us which rooms we were having. One, was up a precipitous single flight of stairs off the main lower ground floor, (where everything happened) but ours was up 3 flights of narrow spiral stairs passing though the office suite of a local advocate emerging on a landing of a communal toilet and shower rooms sharing with a number of rooms. I am sure this was made clear before reservation but I did not find this information and I have to admit that a few nights of pleasure away, do not include sharing my ablutions. I gave that up many years ago. I have to say that we did not encounter any queues for facilities during our stay although a very heavy footed group seemed to be awake above our heads for many hours of the night. The room was adequately furnished with very utilitarian flat pack cheap pine furniture and a pedestal basin scoured to an extent that an elephant could file its claws . There was no telephone but a TV, the free WiFi had a very poor signal and the view from the mesh sealed picture window over residential Amsterdam was pleasantly filtered. On the wall were two notices; one, simply informing guests that anyone caught smoking would be instantly evicted day or night and the other saying that this was a cash only room and full payment was to be made the evening before departure. We were therefore a touch grieved when on the morning of our departure, we witnessed some Australian guests paying using credit cards! This late notice of transaction threw our budgeting out somewhat!

The moaning is now finished. The family who own and run this fine 17th century canal side hotel are friendly, welcoming and attentive to the aspects of the bed and breakfast service they offer. Breakfast is a social and replete event with every possibility of excellent pastries and omelette being on hand cooked by the brother of the lady who met us on our arrival. The matriarch of this hotel was their mother, Mary who at 80 was still firmly in command of this one time jewel. The problem for us was that it was embedded in an era of post Second World War Europe and needed seriously modernising and on our part, we would have dearly paid more for the potential this fine building and location could have offered. If hotel seekers are elderly, infirmed and want comfort, look elsewhere but if you are happy for a few nights of simplicity, then give it a try.

Room Tip: One with en-suite facilities and check for credit card payment
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Keizershof? Share your experiences!