“Very Mixed Messages” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Keizershof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Keizershof
You added Hotel Keizershof to your Saves list
Keizersgracht 618, 1017 ER Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #32 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very Mixed Messages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

On line it looked perfect; quaint, quirky, old and family run. Just the sort of place for us on a short city break. We had read that "some rooms" shared facilities but this had won the 2014 award and therefore should be excellent in all areas. The hotel is superbly positioned on one of the atmospheric main canals of Amsterdam and in walking distance of everywhere. The most dangerous aspect of all streets in this capital are the many thousands of cyclists that speed everywhere having no regard for dreamy tourists enjoying the atmosphere and this is as true on the doorstep of this fine building as any where in the rest of the city.

We were two middle aged couples and on arrival one of the owners instantly assessed our physical agility and decided for us which rooms we were having. One, was up a precipitous single flight of stairs off the main lower ground floor, (where everything happened) but ours was up 3 flights of narrow spiral stairs passing though the office suite of a local advocate emerging on a landing of a communal toilet and shower rooms sharing with a number of rooms. I am sure this was made clear before reservation but I did not find this information and I have to admit that a few nights of pleasure away, do not include sharing my ablutions. I gave that up many years ago. I have to say that we did not encounter any queues for facilities during our stay although a very heavy footed group seemed to be awake above our heads for many hours of the night. The room was adequately furnished with very utilitarian flat pack cheap pine furniture and a pedestal basin scoured to an extent that an elephant could file its claws . There was no telephone but a TV, the free WiFi had a very poor signal and the view from the mesh sealed picture window over residential Amsterdam was pleasantly filtered. On the wall were two notices; one, simply informing guests that anyone caught smoking would be instantly evicted day or night and the other saying that this was a cash only room and full payment was to be made the evening before departure. We were therefore a touch grieved when on the morning of our departure, we witnessed some Australian guests paying using credit cards! This late notice of transaction threw our budgeting out somewhat!

The moaning is now finished. The family who own and run this fine 17th century canal side hotel are friendly, welcoming and attentive to the aspects of the bed and breakfast service they offer. Breakfast is a social and replete event with every possibility of excellent pastries and omelette being on hand cooked by the brother of the lady who met us on our arrival. The matriarch of this hotel was their mother, Mary who at 80 was still firmly in command of this one time jewel. The problem for us was that it was embedded in an era of post Second World War Europe and needed seriously modernising and on our part, we would have dearly paid more for the potential this fine building and location could have offered. If hotel seekers are elderly, infirmed and want comfort, look elsewhere but if you are happy for a few nights of simplicity, then give it a try.

Room Tip: One with en-suite facilities and check for credit card payment
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights in mid May with my better half and it was one of the best B&B's i have ever stayed in.. the room was large and cleaned everyday.. Ernest and Hanneke were excellent hosts.. we stayed in a room overlooking the canal and was wonderful and quiet.. they also gave us tips regarding places to see locally etc. the only downside is if you are carrying large luggage - the only way up is traditional Amsterdam way - a winding staircase! if i go back to Amsterdam i would definitely stay here or recommend this to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the best Omelettes you would ever get!
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Keizershof for 2 nights in May and we loved it! The hotel is very clean, cute and has a lot of character. It's in a centralized location, walking distance to everything (we never needed public transportation). The room we stayed in was large, clean and had everything we needed (including a great hair dryer). I believe we were in the John Wayne room which overlooked the gardens and the Rijks Museum. Mary, Ernest and Hanneke were fantastic hosts! They were fun to talk to and gave us tips on restaurants, sites and bars in Amsterdam. They also gave us tips for Paris, which was our next destination.

The breakfast was included and it was delicious! The wifi worked great! The shower and bathroom (in our room) were clean and worked well.

Previous reviews complain that the rooms are dated and that there is a windy staircase. The rooms aren't brand new, but they are clean, functioning and have a lot of character. I'll take character over modern any day! In regards to the staircase...again, it adds character. If you don't think you can climb a spiral staircase with your luggage, maybe you can ask for a room on a lower level...My husband and I had backpacks, so carrying our luggage up the stairs was not an issue for us. My husband and I plan on going back to Amsterdam and we would definitely stay here again. We would also recommend the Hotel Keizershof to all our friends and family.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights in the room with the blue fireplace. The room was clean, spacious, comfortable and everything we expected from the pictures and reviews. Mary, Ernest and Hanneke were lovely hosts, and there to answer any questions one might have about Amsterdam. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and their house and garden were beautiful and well maintained. I would encourage everyone to stay here. The location is perfect. Hope to be back someday!

Room Tip: The room with the blue fireplace overlooking the garden is amazing!
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is my first review ever that's how great this place is! I've been using Tripadvisor for years but never wrote reviews - let me tell you I just had to for this place! Ernst and Anike were the best host a solo traveler could ask for. I was there for 5 nights - April 18 thru April 23, 2014. I felt safe and well taken care of. This hotel had the best location for me (widow - solo - 49) right in the middle - one side the party life - the other side nice and quiet with low key things to do. Yes, the spiral staircase was a challenge but at the end of my trip, my thighs were looking good! The rooms were clean, I had a single facing the canal, and had everything I needed for my stay. I did share a bathroom with other guests (full occupancy when I stayed) but never did I have to wait or at any time were the bathrooms unkept. And the breakfasts were the full spread - Ernst's omelettes were yummy. Never left hungry and I made use of the included breakfast - they kept me going until my evening meal. For me, as a solo traveler, I really loved being able to converse with the other travelers and the hosts every morning - made my trip even more special. They were always eager to share and gave great advice! I finished the rest of my European excursion (Germany) wanting to go back to Amsterdam and Hotel Keizershof!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Tavistock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We stayed for four nights: well situated for the tourist sights and access to transport but tucked away on a quiet canal with a wide choice of restaurants close by. The family make all their guests very welcome, and go out of their way to accommodate your needs. Comfortable, cheerful, clean, and full of character. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Stairs are typically Amsterdam - steep.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

The owners of the place are amazing people. Very welcome and helpful. The room was bigger than I expected with all the amenities needed. The best of my stay there was the omelet I had for breakfast. I will never forget it. I will definitely go back there!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Keizershof? Share your experiences!