“traditional high quality” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Keizershof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Keizershof
You added Hotel Keizershof to your Saves list
Keizersgracht 618 | Tram 16 & 24, 4th Stop, 1017 ER Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #36 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
Woodstock, New York
“traditional high quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is our second visit to this little historic hotel. The family is friendly and they make a great full breakfast. Very generous. E ating with the other guests at the big table always results in excellent travel tips too.The rooms are quiet and clean, location on Keizersgracht is near everything. The hike up the steps makes you plan your day carefully. No running up for something you forgot. We dont even mind the bath room in the hall. Reminds us of our first visits to Holland in the 1970's. Comfortable beds ( singles of course) nice garden excellent value.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan G

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

The warm greeting by Mary and her children Hanneke and Ernest set the scene for this wonderfully welcoming hotel. The hotel is full of character; in some ways it's quite quirky. Steep and narrow staircases lead to the bedrooms - ours was very comfortable although the bathroom was a bit too compact, and the en-suite toilet a little bit like an aircraft loo and located on the landing. Breakfast is served at a communal table for all guests - brilliant for meeting other guests and sharing experiences of Amsterdam - and the breakfast food itself generous and delicious. Mary and her family help make a really lovely stay - they're full of ideas and recommendations and delightful people.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jon F
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We LOVED this place and the family that runs it. Hannake and her brother were so friendly and helpful, showing us where we should go and things we could do. They made us feel at home. The hotel is right on a gorgeous canal, and we enjoyed being in the 1672 Dutch house. Our room was on the 4th floor (loved the steep, winding staircase) and overlooked a cute neighborhood of houses and their amazing garden (where we loved hanging out). The breakfast every morning was amazing...tasty cheese and bread, fresh fruit, yummy cookies, coffee and juice, and even a homemade omelette.

The whole feel was cozy and truly Dutch. I'd stay here again for sure.

The only downer was that there was no AC and it was a little hot...and if we opened the windows the mosquitoes came in.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amandamglenn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

It's rare to find places like this in expensive, ever-popular Amsterdam. An original canal home with just a handful of rooms walking distance to everything. The home and the gardens are lovely, as is the kitchen area and breakfast. The rooms were great (don't expect 5 star, but cute, cosy, light and airfilled rooms of a generous size, just like staying in someone's home). Everything was very clean and we loved the room we had, with our own bathroom on the top floor overlooking the back garden. This would have to be one of the better value places in Amsterdam where most things are quite expensive.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 980ginab
Putney, London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

This is a wonderful little hotel, in a great canal side location in walking distance of everything! We stayed in a lovely room on the 4th floor with a view of the canal. The room was very comfortable, with an en suite shower room. The toilet (private) was outside the room though, which was a slight inconvenience.

We were looked after really well for our 3 night stay and the continental breakfast was excellent; the cheese and chive omelettes are not to be missed!

In summary, great room, great location and great service - although the extremely steep stairs may put some off. We'll be back on our next visit to Amsterdam.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank markadams81
Grants Pass, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Everything I wanted in my Amsterdam stay, Great location; only 4 stops from Grand Central, canal front, yet in a quiet and safe block. Just walk around the corner and there are TONS of places to eat, shop, or people watch. I could see the towers of the Rijksmuseum from my third floor room, just a coupe of blocks away. Vondel park (great picnic spot) is close by, but the back garden of the hotel is also a peaceful place to restore your energy.
I read a lot of comments from other TA reviews about being treated like family by the deVries, I found this to be true, I really did receive kind of personal kindness and attention that family gives, (maybe better ?), and am so grateful for it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel on extremely short notice: I had a window of a few days and decided to go to Amsterdam on the spur of the moment. Having booked by phone in the morning, my day got more complicated and I phoned twice to change my arrival time, but the owner, Mary, was unworried and extremely gracious when I finally fell through the door after 10pm.

I had a very pleasant room on the 3rd floor, overlooking the delightful gardens and the Rijksmuseum (the main reason I had gone to Amsterdam!) One of the pretty canals is right at the front door. My room did not have an en suite bathroom, but I was the only person on the floor for my whole stay so effectively had sole use of the facilities. Everything was spotlessly clean. My only concern (and the reason I've only given 4 stars to service) is that although the room was well cleaned and my towels were replaced daily (something I don't need) my tea/coffee tray was never replenished, and on one day the mugs not even washed. This meant that after the first morning I had no milk, and by the last day only had herbal teas. I am quite sure I could have gone down and asked for whatever I needed, but (as other reviewers have mentioned) it is a very long hike up very steep stairs, and so it's easier just to manage with what you've got!

The stairs are steep, particularly the third flight, and (as a middle aged, not especially strong woman travelling on my own) I had quite a lot of difficulty getting a large cabin-bag sized suitcase up to my room; the family above me had a worse time getting a large case up. Take this into account when choosing - if you have small cases and are fit, you won't have a problem.

Breakfasts are pleasant, served at a lovely big communal table, with the friendly family in attendance.

All in all an excellent place right in the heart of this lovely city; I will certainly be back!

• Stayed August 2013