“Very good no complaints” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Keizershof

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hotel Keizershof
Save Saved
You added Hotel Keizershof to your Saves list
Keizersgracht 618, 1017 ER Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)   |
Ranked #29 of 345 hotels in Amsterdam
“Very good no complaints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here from 07/12/2012 for 3 nights good location very homely just like staying with old friends breakfast very nice as with other reviews the only thing that maybe no good for other guests is the spiral staircase if you are the type of person who always takes the escalator and never the stairs in shopping centres/ airports then look for a hotel with a lift .

• Stayed December 2012

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
kalamazoo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I just stayed at the Keizershof for, I believe, the sixth time. (It would have been more but it's such a popular place, and so small, I haven't gotten a room a few times I have tried). The DeVries family could not be nicer! From their nice greeting, to their wonderful breakfast with great omelette, to going so far as to send us on our way with stroopwaffels when they found out we were leaving so early we would miss breakfast, everything done there just has that in someone's family's house touch. And when it came to paying, we know the routine--cash only--and we understand that given fees charged the businesses. However, my bank had put a hold on what I could take out for the day, and when I mentioned that, and that I could pay later in cash, I was immediately told not to worry about it, and that I could pay with a card. (Next time I will make sure to have the cash in advance, because there will be a next time). The location is great, the canal view rooms are nice. What more can I say? This is one of those places I almost hate to review glowingly because I like to keep it to myself and ensure I can get a room next time I try, but I feel compelled to spread the word for the DeVries family. Bravo!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Thanks to the reviews I read on TripAdvisor, my friends and I stayed at this wonderful B&B located along the Keizersgracht Canal for 4 days, and we couldn’t have been happier with the accommodations! I would definitely stay here again, and would happily recommend this place to family and friends.

Pros:

-The wonderful breakfasts! (the omelettes are amazing!)

-The DeVries family were very helpful, friendly, and offered recommendations on what to do, where to eat, what to see, etc.

-Beautiful scenery along the canal

-Centrally located

-Comfortable beds

-Free wifi

-They speak English!

Cons:

-Steep, spiraling staircase (it really wasn't THAT bad)

-Not every room has a restroom attached, so some rooms have to share a community bathroom and shower. There was never a wait to use the restroom or shower, so this really wasn't a big issue.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Spent few days in there with friends. Hotel was kept by a wonderful, friendly older lady with her family. They were very helpful, gave us lot of relevant info of the city we asked for. Location was perfect. So was the breakfast. The best breakfast I've had in any hotel. The only tricky thing were the stairs to the rooms. They were narrow and arduous. - I was pleased and happy with our choise.

• Stayed November 2012
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a week's stay in The Keizershof Hotel in mid October and we couldn't have been more pleased we chose this property. Ideally located on one of the central canals, it is within easy walking distance of Amsterdam's main attractions and has an abundance of restaurants and shops in the surrounding vacinity.
We had the Charlie Chaplin third floor room overlooking the canal which was a pleasant sight to wake up to each morning. As others have mentioned, the trip up to the third floor does mean negotiating three spiral staircases but we soon got used to them and were virtually running up them by the end of the week! (slight exaggeration). Don't let it put you off. They're managable if you are marginally fit. The room was large, bright and airy and spotlessly cleaned every day.
Breakfast is served each morning in the De Vries family dining room and they are welcoming and knowledgable hosts. The food is plentiful and excellent - fruit, yoghurts, cereals, fresh bread, cheeses, omlettes, pancakes and of course, Dutch Apple Cake!
Amsterdam is a walking (or cycling) city and The Keizerhof is in a perfect location for exploration. Museum Square is a 15 minute stroll and The Hermitage (at the moment housing the Van Gough collection as the Van Gough Musuem is closed) is around 10 minutes, crossing the Amstel River at the bottom of Keizersgracht. Nightlife is also close with Rembrantsplein, Liedesplein and Dam Square easily walkable. In the week we were there, we only boarded a tram once on the way from the airport.
The De Vries are a mine of information about Amsterdam and are only too pleased to recommend what to see and where to eat. Ernest recommended we purchase a MuseumKart (available from all the major museums) which gives a years unlimited access to all museums in the Netherlands. At the cost of just under 50 Euro, it saved us a fortune as entrance to museums such as The Hermitage and The Rijksmuseum carry a hefty price tag. It also allows access to smaller, more intimate canal house museums such as Museum Ons' Lieve Heer op Solder (highly recommended) in the heart of the Red Light District, Museum Van Loon a few doors down from the hotel and the wonderful Dutch Resistance Museum in Plantage. Having the card also gives us an excuse to return within the next year!
This is an excellent hotel and we can't recommend it highly enough. Great location, a warm welcome, plenty of good food and insider tips to ensure your trip to Amsterdam is a great one.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Pietermaritzburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The Keizershof is rated 19 out of 349 hotels in Amsterdam - no mean feat. To be fair though, how does one rate it? It is not the Ritz with luxurious trappings, but a small, family run B&B-type hotel.....and a very special one.

Beautifully situated on the Keizersgracht, one can walk practically everywhere. For those venturing further afield there is an excellent tram service a few paces away. Our room (Delft) was large, comfortable and airy with a lovely outlook onto the pretty back garden. It was spotlessly clean, full of character and quiet. There was a shower en-suite and a private toilet just outside our door and a step or two away from a very steep staircase! The fact that this is an ancient canal house is greatly what lends it it's charm, but one should be aware of the very steep and narrow staircase. We managed them and our hosts, thankfully managed our luggage!

Our breakfasts were rather sumptuous affairs. Fruit, cereals, pastries, freshly baked breads and a number of excellent Dutch cheeses. Hanneke's omelettes were delicious and so, of course, was the very good Dutch coffee.

Our hosts were warm and welcoming, helpful and always available.

I loved our 4 day stay there - a real feel good experience - would recommend it, and would look forward to returning.

Room Tip: Delft Room is on the first floor with its own private staircase, so easier access and more privacy...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This property is conveniently located in the museum district. During our four days in Amsterdam, we never used the bus or tram, other than going to the airport.

Mary provided great directions from the airport and directions to other locations during our visit. Mary and her son, Ernest, do the cooking for breakfast. There was always cereal, granola, fresh fruit, yogurt, cheeses, and some type of breakfast pastry. Some mornings Ernest made omelets and other days, Mary made thin Dutch pancakes. We usually did not need to eat again until late afternoon. So we had a good sized late lunch and then a snack in the evening.

The "hotel" is a traditional thin, tall dutch home. Our room was large with its own connecting bath. However, it was difficult to haul heavy luggage up the spiral staircase up to the third floor (and there is a fourth floor). If you are not in good shape, you should not stay in one of these rooms. I believe there was one room on the main level. The rooms were well cleaned each day.

Mary and Ernest were very welcoming and I would definitely stay here again if I visit Amsterdam.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Keizershof? Share your experiences!