It's pretty basic. Is it Chic? Eh, well the lobby is but our room while spacious & clean, really wasn't. But that's OK, we didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room.
The bathroom (we had our own) was nice. There was a shower but no bath. Good water pressure & temperature. Bathroom amenities were minimal: bar soap and shampoo.
The room was--as mentioned--more basic than chic. The furniture was very IKEA-esque. There were some scuff marks on the walls and one shelf appeared to be missing a part of it. There was an iron (non-steaming) & ironing board in the room. Our room had a small balcony with views of nothing in particular. As far as we could tell there was no air conditioning, but being early June that was OK for us. The beds seemed pretty comfortable.
When we stayed there was no breakfast, but there was free coffee all day and toast and marmalade in the morning. The staff was generally friendly and helpful.
Don't stay here if you don't like stairs. There are quite a few of them, and they are narrow. Getting our suitcases up and down was a bit of an adventure.
The location is excellent. It's on a quiet side street, but easy walking distance to Amsterdam Central Station and lots of other stuff. It was generally very quiet there. The lack of A/C necessitated leaving windows open while we slept, so that let in some noise, but nothing too terrible.
All in all a nice, convenient place. It's not luxurious but it's a great home base for exploring the city.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Max Brown is situated in three monumental Amsterdam canal houses with an amazing 300-year old facade, at the corner of Amsterdam most famous canals, the Herengracht & the Brouwersgracht. You’re in Hipsterdam the moment you check-in when you pick up your key from the guy or girl behind the impressive bar. You can choose to go straight up to your cosy room or to take a seat at the living room bar. Or at one of the comfy tables, chairs and sofa to gather around with a drink and some delicious bar bites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, EasyToBook, Cheap Tickets, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Max Brown Hotel Amsterdam reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chic And Basic Amsterdam
- Chic & Basic Amsterdam Hotel Amsterdam
- Chic Basic Hotel Amsterdam