“Great location.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Max Brown Hotel Amsterdam

You added Max Brown Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Max Brown Hotel Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 13 - 19, 1015 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly chic&basic Amsterdam) (Canal Ring (Grachtengordel))   |
Ranked #160 of 354 Hotels in Amsterdam
ireland
“Great location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We arrived on Friday and were greeted by friendly, helpful staff. Our room was 004. Small but perfect for a city stay as we spent hardly any time in our room. The shower room was small but again fine for our needs . Storage space is minimal .This room is on the ground floor and accessed by going out through an open area but a very small distance so again not a problem and I was grateful not to have to negotiate the steep stairs . The beds and pillows very fab. Location is perfect on the canal and only a 5 min walk to the train station and lovely bars and restaurants also Dam square and the Anne Frank house .Breakfast was certainly basic and very disappointing but free tea and coffee is available all day. The staff were excellent during our stay recommending places to eat , helping with transport arrangements etc. This is good value , clean modern, accomodation in an excellent location at a reasonable price in an expensive city.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I feel unable to give this Hotel any kind of rating. I have read previous reviews about this Hotel but took it with a pinch of salt as I have found in the past that poor comments from one person can not always mean the same experience for all. I was however wrong on this occasion.

I have never put a review on this site before but felt unable to not warn people about this Hotel.

I booked this Hotel in March for my trip to Amsterdam on 9th May. I arrived in Amsterdam in the morning so decided to see if it was possible to leave my case with them until we were able to book in at 3pm. The guy on reception took our name and had no hesitation in agreed to keep our luggage until our room was ready. We returned about 2pm, still a little early for booking in but was happy to wait. We were approached by a female member of staff who said "we have some good new and bad". She informed us that there was no room available as they were updating the bathroom and it wasn't ready so they had a 4 star Hotel we could go to at the other side of the City.

Thanks to this site I was aware of this Hotel having done this before, I questioned
why they didn't inform me in the morning when I left my bag and also why they did' contact me before my arrival date to advise me of the situation, she was unable to answer either question. I also told her that this is not the first time this had happened as I have seen comments in this site before, again she struggled to comment.

She told me there was a taxi outside and was confused as to why I wouldn't be pleased with the offer of a 4 star hotel and she would throw in breakfast.

I advised her to send the taxi away as I wasn't going, she was still confused as to why I was so annoyed and why I wouldn't be happy with the outcome. To make matters worse another couple arrived and proceeded to be checked in, I was advised they had booked a different room type!

I told her to cancel everything and I would sort out my own accommodation. She agreed and said there would be no cancellation charge, nice of her as It was the Hotel who had not honoured my booking in the first place.

Please think twice before booking this Hotel, I chose to find out for myself, my mistake.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jan N, Manager at Max Brown Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Dear Wayneeee2014,

In the last couple of weeks we have improved and remodeled Chic&Basic Amsterdam. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused for you and for letting you down on your expectations. Normally our service is exceptional and the difficulties are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care.

Please note that all renovation works are finished and we now have a brand new hotel for you to enjoy.

I hope that we still may have the pleasure to welcome you in the near future.

Warm regards,

Jan Nijman
Hotel Manager
Chic&Basic Amsterdam
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

The location of the hotel is very good, not too far from Central Station and near to restaurants and trams etc, and on a canal and in a quiet location. But it is very basic indeed and over-priced for what it is. The room was very small, barely enough space to squeeze by the bottom of the bed, and you couldn't open the shower-room door fully as it hit the bed. The shower-room had barely enough space to turn around in and was like a cupboard. The small TV had a habit of switching itself off for no reason. Also for our room we had to go into an outdoor alleyway to access it, not good when it was raining. The alleyway had some builders materials left there which didn't leave a good impression. The one small window in the room faced into the alleyway. The bed was reasonably comfortable though and there was no noise at night.

The main entrance are of the hotel was unusual and was a pleasant enough place to sit - important as you could not really sit in the room as it was too small. There were some nice art books to browse through, but it's difficult to say anything more positive than that. There was a 'free' breakfast which consisted of a basket with some rolls in - no butter or cheese or anything - and free coffee from a machine. The staff were reasonably helpful, but just seemed to be a set of young people who were working temporarily and didn't seem to be hotel oriented.

I don't know where the chic idea came from, the design concept seemed to be a kind of retro recycled look which is not my idea of chic. It was certainly basic though but not with prices to match.

Would I stay again, certainly not.

Room Tip: You don't want room 004 but not sure if the others are much better.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights over Easter. The hotel is in a lovely location. The room was clean, with a very comfy bed and the room was cleaned well everyday. It was also decorated nicely with a few quirky light fittings and furniture.The room was very small and the TV didn't work, some of the fixtures (sink & shower) were a bit rickety and weren't fitted very well to the wall. The bathroom was a tiny black wet room with no windows. The common parts of the hotel are also a bit shabby. Whilst it could do with a little spruce up in places, it's still a nice little hotel and I would recommend it for the location alone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Beeston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I was given room no 001 and the big problem with this one is that it does not have any windows that can be opened! Thus, given the fact that the room was in a basement, the smell sometimes was quite unbearable.
Also, the furniture looked fancy, but already a bit used. I think it would be an ok hotel if the prices where reduced by 30% or so. To be fair, I did not book in advance and stayed there for only one night during Easter.

Leyburn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and we picked it for the location, very close to the main train station, in a nice quiet location. That's all you get pretty much. The décor is quite quirky, we stayed in 208 right at the top. We booked a double room and got 2 single beds pushed together. That wouldn't have been a problem but when the beds move all the time because they're on wheels and you end up with a gap between them it's not that good. I do understand that it makes sense to be able to accommodate guests that ask for a twin or a double room, but in that room there's not enough space to make it a twin because as soon as you move one of the beds you can't get into the shower room because the beds blocks the door. As soon as you get into our room there is a flight of stairs and a light at the top that wasn't working making it a bit difficult to get in. We told the staff the next day but it wasn't fixed in the 3 days we were there, so we had to leave a lamp on all the time, not very cost efficient.

It's not cheap, so make sure you check the prices on their website, they're lower than on other websites.

Room Tip: Don't go for room 208 if you struggle with stairs.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Not impressed with welcome. Came in with luggage told to wait 5 minutes. Had room in separate building had to ask for reception to open it every time I wanted to get to room. No iron even though was told there was one. No hairdryer. No plug sockets by side of bed, really small room. Good location. Really really basic.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Max Brown Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!