“Location, location, location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of chic&basic Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added chic&basic Amsterdam to your Saves list
chic&basic Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Herengracht 13-19, 1015 BA Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly "Hotel New Amsterdam")   |
Ranked #179 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
London, England, United Kingdom
“Location, location, location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Guess what? It is all about location which could not be better..on the side of a canal mid way between the seedier side of Amsterdam and the beauty of the canal system. Fantastic location. Sure the rooms are a bit small but frankly you are not paying for the rooms...you will be asleep!

Hotel is fabulous from the outside and modern on the inside. Staff were great, very helpful and pleasant. It is always good to have a laugh with the staff.

Great restaurants surround the hotel in every direction and you are on the edge of the Jordaan area of Amsterdam which is incredible. Every where is a walk and for those of you brave enough a bike ride!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Cute room, of course always tight and tricky to navigate your way to the room with squishy and steep stairwells. Not recommended for those without strong knees and a heavy travel pack! Otherwise, great location on the cusp of a canal and a short stumble to the main strip of Amsterdam. Recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

This hotel is extremely aptly named.
The historic exterior of what were originally four buildings has been transformed internally into a vision of modernity. Whether that is to everyone's taste is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I would have preferred a chair or sofa. Instead we had to make do with a leather covered stool. But then being on the upper fourth floor of building three, it is difficult to see how a sofa would have been installed....the only option being to have lifted one from the street via the lifting hook and through the window.
The location is perfect. Wonderful canal views, central and within easy reach of the main attractions and Central station. It can get fairly noisy due to the boat parties and people returning from a boisterous night out. But that can be said of most of the central district.
The major downside was the difficulty in getting a suitcase up the stairs and into the room. Far too much like hard work, and with each flight the stairs get narrower and less navigable. If we ever were to go to this hotel again, we definitely wouldn't take more than a couple of hold-alls.
The breakfast was okay, hot drinks and bread and preserves. No other choice, but enough to start the day. If you like your tea to taste of tea leaves I recommend that you take your own tea bags. Even with 3 bags in a cup it wasn't possible to get a decent flavour.
Unfortunately all of these factors do come at a premium price. There are more expensive places of course, but we expected more for €150 per night.

Room Tip: Can't help with a good room but avoid room 341 if you have a large suitcase. Situated in the lof...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

The hotel located in the old Amsterdam in the immediate vicinity of the canal. This was perhaps the only advantage. Our room was located on the 3rd floor. We had to carry our heavy suitcases up the narrow stairs with no elevator. But the main "joke" was waiting for us in the room. There were no windows in the conventional sense of the word. My wife and I were in shock. Only a few minutes later we saw a window... in the ceiling. The room was so small that we are constantly confronted with each other. The price (>100 EUR) was too high for such discomfort. Breakfast was meager, only sandwiches with jam and coffee. The staff was quite cold.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed three nights at this hotel. On arriving I was told that we would have to move to a different room the next day but they would move our cases for us. The first room was on the top floor up some very steep stairs but was quite spacious and had a French door which opened out over the rooftops and was nice and quiet. The first night was ok room was clean although neither of the plug-in lamps worked. The fancy looking coffee machine in reception had a sign on saying 'out of order' but we were able to make our own toast and jam for breakfast, nothing else was on offer, no fruit, no cereals, no juice. At this point I will point out that I had paid over €400 for three nights and I was starting to question the price a little as it was more like a hostal than a hotel. We went out for the day and returned at 3pm we were shown to our new room. The second room was about half the size of the first. It had a double bed, one side of which couldn't be reached because of some wooden shelves that projected about 10 inches from the wall, this meant climbing over your partner if you needed the toilet in the night. There were 3 metal coat-hangers, not really enough for a couple - 1 1/2 each? The bathroom was small the whole wet-room style floor flooded when you used the walk-in shower. However the worst thing was that there was building work on the hotel going on right outside our window. As there were no privacy-curtains, we had no choice but to close the curtains, which left us in darkness in the middle of the afternoon, or have a goofy teenager observing our every move. The workmen had a radio on playing load techno music and were shouting to each other loudly over it. After about half an hour I went to the reception to complain. There a very helpful and polite young man offered to show me the only alternative room, to my dismay this was even smaller than the one we were in, dark, with just a small gangway round a double bed, nowhere to put your case as far as I could see. So I opted to stay in the same room and put up with the noise. The next day was Saturday, we left as soon as the workmen arrived, banging, sawing and shouting again right outside our window, about 8 feet away. After a day walking round the museums, we returned for a siesta at about 5. The workmen were still there and remained there until 7, so we couldn't rest and went out to eat. Sunday morning was our last day, unbelievably the workmen arrived again. One lad was shouting so loud I put my head out the window and told him to be quiet, pointing out they were working in a hotel where people come to relax. The man did say sorry, and was quiet for about 5 minutes, then he began telling his mate in loud Dutch what I had said - as I speak Dutch I wasn't too pleased to hear myself being described in derogatory and homophobic terms and spoke to the builder again this time in Dutch, explaining that I understood the language and he might want to watch what he was saying. By this time furious, we checked out. I left my email address at reception explaining what had happened and asking that the manager contact me, saying that I was angry and stressed and that the room simply should not have been let out with this major building work going on in the hotel at the same time. Since I have heard nothing from the management I am leaving this review in the hope that it might prompt them to reply. The room was not fit for purpose (ie. to relax) and I want some compensation for the last two nights we stayed there. I would advise not paying for your room up front and checking exactly which room you have got before you pay, as the three I saw were wildly different in size and quality. I look forward to the hotel's reply.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Me and my friend had a short trip to Ansrerdam (just 2 days in total) so we needed some well located lodging and Chic&Basic Hotel was a perfect choice! Its situated within walking distance to Amsterdam Centraal, other public transport and stations are also nearby. You can easily reach key sightseeing points, bars, coffee shops, shopping areas from here.
Rooms are nice and well decorated, service is prompt, personell is friendly and ready to help. Breakfast is ok))
Overall we had a good stay and would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends.
Note: one needs to climb pretty steep and narrow staircase to get to some rooms, so please keep it in mind. There is no elevator in hotel

• Stayed July 2013
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed here from July 10-14. The location was perfect - about a 5-10 minute walk from centraal station and between the downtown area and the Jordaan. Nice quiet street. The staff were pleasant and helpful, the room was tiny but clean. We only had one set of stairs to get to our room (rm 211), but it was very steep.Toast, coffee and tea are included for breakfast and there is free wifi, though depending on your location, the signal can be weak.
Overall I would stay here again if I was going back to Amsterdam.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to chic&basic Amsterdam? Share your experiences!