“Reasonably priced for a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Prinsenhof
Prinsengracht 810, 1017 JL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #95 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Reasonably priced for a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I stayed at Hotel Prinsenhof for four nights and loved walking out the front door and seeing the canal. My room was small but clean and comfortable. Don't expect a lot of amenities, but the staff will take good care of you. They were helpful and friendly and answered any questions I had. The stairs are steep, so pack lightly! The location was perfect--it's within easy walking distance of the Waterlooplein street market and there are several cafes in the vicinity. The closest tram stop is only a few blocks away. If you don't mind walking, you can easily get to the Museumplein and shopping. The internet connection was unreliable, which was frustrating. The breakfast each morning was great and I finally saw the cat on day four!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

Multi-level less expensive hotel. Not bad value for price. Very small stairs with no elevator and rooms on multi-levels. Not a lot offered at breakfast. Very helpful, and friendly staff. No private bathrooms, all shared bath.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed here for €89 for 2 people including breakfast. It was a pleasant stay with a clean room right in the heart of Amsterdam on the 'nicer' half of the city. There was no tv in the room or toiletries provided but for the price in Amsterdam it was good value and the people were friendly. I would stay again.

Room Tip: Not suitable for wheelchair users, lots of very steep stairs!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

A lovely canal building with cafes and bars in the nieghborhood. The staff were quite nice, the breakfast is awesome, especially with classical music. Lots of hip European youngsters going to nearby bars, and canal boats passing by with pulsating Euro-trash techno can be bothersome at night. The steep stairs really suck, but whatever. The shared shower and bathrooms are no problem. My single room was small but cozy enough, with a canal view. Tight spaces are a fact of life in Amsterdam. Overall, great hotel and cheap! The biggest problem was getting some sleep from the partyers at night (and man do they keep on going even till 5:30 am!) You can close the window, it gets a little muggy but not too bad.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Brooklyn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

This hotel is housed in a traditional canal house on the Prisengracht. There is a cat and a very interesting mechanism for opening the front door from the first floor. The stairs are very steep as is typical of dutch canal houses and there is no elevator. I paid my bill in full in cash upon arrival (I was there for 4 nights total); because of this, the day manager didn't have to keep my passport. When I was checkin out, the afternoon manager, a grumpy man, accused me of not having paid. I assured him that I had paid in full. Why else would you not have my passport, I asked him. The day manager had not written down that I had paid. I asked the grumpy guy to please call the day manager to confirm this. After a bit of arguing, he aquiesed and the day manager indeed confirmed that I had paid. A lot of stress and trouble for nothing. The windows in the room are very old and will not stay up unless you stick a nail in a hole that has been drilled into the sill. It is advertised that breakfast can be provided for people with early flights. I got some resistance to this request but ultimately had some bread, jam and a coffee maker delivered to my room.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Redditch
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

This is our second stay at the Prinsenhof and we returned to celebrate our wedding anniversary
It is in a brilliant location on the Prinsengracht canal, close to some lovely bars and restaurants. We asked for room 9 again which is at the front and at the top, (good exercise). A lovely attic room with a small en-suit, a broad small set of ladders leads you to the wide window over-looking the canal and the roof- tops towards the center(it can get a little noisy in the good weather when folk are out on their boats, but we didn't mind, it added to the ambiance.
Breakfast is served on the petite breakfast room which over looks the courtyard and is decorated by an imposing 'Night watch' and a wonderful map of old Amsterdam.
Its an easy walk to all of the attractions from the hotel...looking forward to coming back next year!

Room Tip: The hotels website is great full, and full of tourist information
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Boulder Creek, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

Spent 2 nights here in May. First, let me say the location is the best thing about this hotel - very close to tram stops, nice neighborhood for wandering, shopping, simple dining.

The dining room is sweet, the classical music playing at breakfast is sooo nice (Brandenburg Concerto the morning I ate there), the breakfast itself was perfectly fine (and I loved the coffee/tea pot warmer with candle!)

The hotel itself made me uncomfortable. The room was big enough, but funky carpeting (read that as "really needs to be replaced"), dicey shower curtain, sheets that need to be replaced, as well as creaky, could hear other guests, steps in the hallway at night (yes, I know there's shared facilities). I actually put a chair up against my door when I finally went to bed.

Not particularly friendly/helpful staff. No effort to help me as I struggled with my large, heavy suitcase up the crazy narrow, steep, small entrance staircase.

Glad I only spent 2 nights. Next time, I'll start looking for a hotel sooner than I did this time. Would not stay here again, even at the price. I would actually rate this place as between Poor and Average, if I could.

Wish the hotel had lived up to its website...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Prinsenhof? Share your experiences!