“Very friendly and central” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A-Train Hotel

You added A-Train Hotel to your Saves list
A-Train Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prins Hendrikkade 23, 1012 TM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Schirmann Hotel) (Centrum)   |
Ranked #149 of 357 Hotels in Amsterdam
England
“Very friendly and central”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

Perfect location with being right across the road from the train station and right around the corner from a lot of the museums.
We were 3 sharing a room which was over 2 floors, beds upstairs and bathroom, tv and chairs downstairs.
Really friendly staff and free safe storage of your luggage after checking out if you have a few hours to kill, like we did,

Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Lowryder

Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Let me begin by saying that this was my first time in Amsterdam and I was truly blown away by the city itself and how friendly and welcoming almost all of its people were. Sadly enough, those working at this property were not among the vast majority of these people.

This hotel claims to be run "family-style" but it felt like your run of the mill, low-end hotel. And while I know that the rule of thumb is that "you get what you pay for", I really felt cheated on value both in terms of product and, more importantly, service. The gentlemen at the Front Desk were condescending to the point when I felt like I was paying to stay at a youth hostel, not a hotel, regardless of its positioning. Upon arriving, I was asked to sign a credit card slip (even though I had already been charged online in advance). Upon asking hey, I was told that this was the way things were (something I find hard to believe, having personally be in charge of implementing PCI DSS at several hotels myself...). Furthermore, the antiquated practice of returning your hard-key each time you left the hotel was poorly explained and I was basically given an earful for not doing it. As a matter of fact, the only individuals that I felt were genuinely friendly were the housekeeping attendants.

As for the product itself, the breakfast offering was acceptable for a complimentary one. However, the presentation was sub-par (yogurt was placed in a milk container, and the milk itself in some unrecognizable container, all while being entirely unlabelled.... The room itself was beyond tiny (and I've stayed at countless hotels in Paris, a city notorious of its minimal room sizes). There was no room to move around, not even for me to place my suitcase unless upright. The mattress was wafer thin and I won't even get started on the bathroom, which looked more like it should be in a penitentiary rather than a hotel. Furthermore, this room was meant to accommodate two people, which I think I would have dreaded if it were the case.

In short, this hotel really only has one thing going for it, which is its proximity to the Grand Centraal station. And quite frankly, upon walking around, there seemed to be much more pleasant places to stay around the station and in even closer vicinity to its entrance.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank AAlGhoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed here thursday to monday. Enjoyed the stay in Amsterdam. The hotel has 24 hour service and has very kind and helpful staff.
I do recommend it for the location too. We walked all around the city centrum :-)
B.I.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Had a 2 night stay at the A train and we couldnt find any faults.. stayed in the old dutch suite which had its own little courtyard. Breakfast was included in the price which was basic but good, although more fresh fruit could possibly be on offer. Staff very friendly.. Enjoyed our stay.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flirtyfairy1985
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

We spent two nights a the A-Train hotel and I am very happy with the choice. The room was very comfortable and the use of space was superb. The room was clean and the bed and pillows comfortable. A great addition in my opinion was that the room had radiators so the heating was easily controlled without that awful drying out of the atmosphere that blow heaters provide! The staff were very friendly and the location excellent.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Debrahis
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Just got back home from a 7 day trip to Amsterdam with my hubby. My hubby booked 3 days at a hotel near Dam Square for our 20th wedding anniversary - this was a surprise as I had already booked A-Train for my hubby's birthday a couple of days later. The first hotel was awful, noisy dirty and no amenities at all. My poor hubby was gutted by the state of the place.
A-Train on the other hand was wonderful. I had booked the suite with the private garden. Clean room, wonderful friendly owners and staff that really looked after you, lovely breakfast and a really quirky hotel that was so comfy. Just a stones throw from the train station and walking distance to the main square, what an absolute delight. I would recommend to anyone wishing to stay in is lovely city, to take a look at this hotel - you won't be disappointed. Thank you so much for a memorable stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lily2709
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

I satyed with 4 friends at the A-Train Hotel over an extended weekend and we had just a fabulous time! The location is perfect - everything needed is within a few minutes walking distance; the whole staff is extremely friendly and very anxious! Rooms are very clean, spacious, comfy - value for money is perfect! We definitely will be back soon!

Room Tip: If you travel like me and my friends in a group - ask for the 'apartment' on the top floor!